Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Time Best Cubs - Second Base
This list blows after Ryno:

1 - Ryne Sandberg
2 - Mark DeRosa
3 - Eric Young
HM - Jeff Blauser (I know he was primarily a SS, but when he moved over to 2B WOW exciting)
<!--quoteo(post=6664:date=Dec 23 2008, 10:58 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 23 2008, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This list blows after Ryno:

1 - Ryne Sandberg
2 - Mark DeRosa
3 - Eric Young
HM - Jeff Blauser (I know he was primarily a SS, but when he moved over to 2B WOW exciting)<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That brings back painful memories. Blauser was solid for many years with the Braves, had a career year the year before the Cubs signed him and then absolutely sucked with the Cubs for 2 years before finding himself out of baseball.
I'm 100% fine with this. I'm just glad there's an actual plan in place that isn't, "Let's load up on retreads and hope we get lucky." I'm a little tired of that plan.

Butcher
Funny, the one positon in the history of the organization that has turned out, really, only one great player. And he just happens to be the best ever.
<!--quoteo(post=6669:date=Dec 23 2008, 10:08 AM:name=Tailgater)-->QUOTE (Tailgater @ Dec 23 2008, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Funny, the one positon in the history of the organization that has turned out, really, only one great player. And he just happens to be the best ever.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You mean the Phillies turned out a great player.
<!--quoteo(post=6668:date=Dec 23 2008, 10:08 AM:name=Lance)-->QUOTE (Lance @ Dec 23 2008, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6664:date=Dec 23 2008, 10:58 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Dec 23 2008, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This list blows after Ryno:

1 - Ryne Sandberg
2 - Mark DeRosa
3 - Eric Young
HM - Jeff Blauser (I know he was primarily a SS, but when he moved over to 2B WOW exciting)<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That brings back painful memories. Blauser was solid for many years with the Braves, had a career year the year before the Cubs signed him and then absolutely sucked with the Cubs for 2 years before finding himself out of baseball.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That signing rivaled the awfulness of the Danny Jackson, Dave Smith and Jose Guzman deals. It was one of the worst periods for me as a fan.
<!--quoteo(post=6671:date=Dec 23 2008, 10:13 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 23 2008, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6668:date=Dec 23 2008, 10:08 AM:name=Lance)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lance @ Dec 23 2008, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6664:date=Dec 23 2008, 10:58 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Dec 23 2008, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This list blows after Ryno:

1 - Ryne Sandberg
2 - Mark DeRosa
3 - Eric Young

That signing rivaled the awfulness of the Danny Jackson, Dave Smith and Jose Guzman deals. It was one of the worst periods for me as a fan.

remember candy maldonado trying to leg out an inside the park home run? i think he slid a good twenty feet short. one of the funniest and saddest things i ever saw.
Wang.
Matt Murton
<!--quoteo(post=6704:date=Dec 23 2008, 12:20 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 23 2008, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Matt Murton<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

Bringing back oldies but goodies.
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=6674:date=Dec 23 2008, 10:44 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 23 2008, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6671:date=Dec 23 2008, 10:13 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Dec 23 2008, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6668:date=Dec 23 2008, 10:08 AM:name=Lance)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lance @ Dec 23 2008, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6664:date=Dec 23 2008, 10:58 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Dec 23 2008, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This list blows after Ryno:

1 - Ryne Sandberg
2 - Mark DeRosa
3 - Eric Young

remember candy maldonado trying to leg out an inside the park home run? i think he slid a good twenty feet short. one of the funniest and saddest things i ever saw.

nobody remembers that? it was the same year the cubs signed jose guzman, dave smith, danny jackson, and the aged willie wilson. candy maldonando was their other big acquisitipn. i think he played a handful of games that year and in one of them he tried to leg out an inside the park home run. the problem is he had no legs. he fell on his face a good 15 to 20 feet short of home. he just laid there. he catcher walked up and tagged him. it was funny and sad at the same time. like the cubs.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=6674:date=Dec 23 2008, 10:44 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 23 2008, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6671:date=Dec 23 2008, 10:13 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Dec 23 2008, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6668:date=Dec 23 2008, 10:08 AM:name=Lance)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lance @ Dec 23 2008, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6664:date=Dec 23 2008, 10:58 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Dec 23 2008, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This list blows after Ryno:

1 - Ryne Sandberg
2 - Mark DeRosa
3 - Eric Young

nobody remembers that? it was the same year the cubs signed jose guzman, dave smith, danny jackson, and the aged willie wilson. candy maldonando was their other big acquisitipn. i think he played a handful of games that year and in one of them he tried to leg out an inside the park home run. the problem is he had no legs. he fell on his face a good 15 to 20 feet short of home. he just laid there. he catcher walked up and tagged him. it was funny and sad at the same time. like the cubs.
Wang.
I'm just glad to have seen a player like Sandberg play out his entire career before my very eyes as a Cub. I always found it hard to criticize Sandberg when he played because I enjoyed watching him so much.