Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yankees
Should we just crown these fuckers now and be done with it?

christ.
A herd of buffalo can move only as fast as the slowest buffalo. When the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.
<!--quoteo(post=6781:date=Dec 23 2008, 07:39 PM:name=Captain)-->QUOTE (Captain @ Dec 23 2008, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Should we just crown these fuckers now and be done with it?

christ.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
They'll finish 3rd in their division.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=6782:date=Dec 23 2008, 07:41 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 23 2008, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6781:date=Dec 23 2008, 07:39 PM:name=Captain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Captain @ Dec 23 2008, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Should we just crown these fuckers now and be done with it?

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hope so but at this rate..they'll win 120 games.
A herd of buffalo can move only as fast as the slowest buffalo. When the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.
<!--quoteo(post=6783:date=Dec 23 2008, 07:46 PM:name=Captain)-->QUOTE (Captain @ Dec 23 2008, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6782:date=Dec 23 2008, 07:41 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 23 2008, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6781:date=Dec 23 2008, 07:39 PM:name=Captain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Captain @ Dec 23 2008, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Should we just crown these fuckers now and be done with it?

I have never got into the whole yankee hatred until this year. Wow, what they are doing is an absolute crime.
I just talked to Dennis Green and he said if you want to crown them, crown their asses.
<!--quoteo(post=6783:date=Dec 23 2008, 07:46 PM:name=Captain)-->QUOTE (Captain @ Dec 23 2008, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6782:date=Dec 23 2008, 07:41 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 23 2008, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6781:date=Dec 23 2008, 07:39 PM:name=Captain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Captain @ Dec 23 2008, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Should we just crown these fuckers now and be done with it?

I really don't think so honestly. You never know how guys are going to perform there and they have no idea what they've gotten themselves into.

I'd take the Rays and their pitching, and probably still the Red Sox over them. The Yankees are going to get into slumps when their guys aren't hitting bombs, where the Rays have incredible speed and can play small ball when the Longoria's and Pena's are slumping. They'll always be able to produce runs, and their rotation which is likely going to include Price is second to none. Plus, their outstanding young players can only get better.

The Red Sox don't seem all that special right now, but you know they'll still make a couple big moves, and if somebody like Buchholz steps up they'll be very dangerous.

You know A.J. Burnett's going to get hurt, and they're pretty old besides that. Rivera's 39, Damon's 35, Jeter's 34, Matsui's 34, A-Rod's 33, etc. I think they could all be good for a bit more(A-Rod especially), but it's possible at least a couple of them start declining.

This just reminds me of the Cowboys in football. Everybody talks them up(oh 13 pro bowlers!) and how nobody's going to be able to beat them, then the media's over their ass 24/7, the drama starts... it's just a difficult environment to succeed in.
@TheBlogfines
Well we know the Blue Jays won't be a factor [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->"We're done," Ricciardi said. "We won't be spending any money."

Earlier this week, Ricciardi mentioned free-agents Orlando Hudson and Jason Giambi in an online report, and the Blue Jays were involved with free-agent shortstop Rafael Furcal (re-signed by the Dodgers) earlier this month.

Ricciardi also indicated that the Jays won't be involved with any high-profile free-agent arms. Toronto will continue to consider reclamation project-type pitchers.

"We won't be in on anyone who's going to cost any money," Ricciardi said. "This is going to be a year where a lot of our kids are going to get exposure. That's going to be a fun thing, to see how some of these kids develop."

Ricciardi did note that the Jays continue to talk to free-agent Michael Barrett, witht he hope of signing the catcher to a Minor League deal.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->a difficult environment to succeed in.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

26 World Championship teams
39 American League pennant winners

<!--quoteo(post=6790:date=Dec 23 2008, 09:05 PM:name=Captain)-->QUOTE (Captain @ Dec 23 2008, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->a difficult environment to succeed in.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

26 World Championship teams
39 American League pennant winners
The media's a million times worse these days, and they've been predicted by everybody to win pretty much every season, haven't done so since 2000. Yeah that's not a very long time, but considering they've had by far the biggest payroll in the league each year, and arguably the most talent on paper, it tells me something. It's just like how we can't deal with the pressure in the playoffs.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=6786:date=Dec 23 2008, 07:54 PM:name=chemikel)-->QUOTE (chemikel @ Dec 23 2008, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I just talked to Dennis Green and he said if you want to crown them, crown their asses.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

I hate the way they're throwing $ around, but in no way does this insure a kick-ass team. I fact, the year in which they did win 114 games, they were made up of a lot of middle-of-the-road/grinder guys (with high OBP's), and lots of home-grown young guys (Jeter, Mo Rivera, Bernie Williams).

This reminds me of the 80's, when Steinbrenner the Elder was at his peak. Over the course of the decade, they won more games than any other team, but except for the 1981 strike year, they never even won their <i>division</i> that decade.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
Add Sabathia, Burnett, Teixeira.

Subtract Abreu, Giambi, Mussina, maybe Pettitte.

Obviously they've improved, but I honestly don't think it's by leaps and bounds.
<!--quoteo(post=6793:date=Dec 23 2008, 09:50 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 23 2008, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Add Sabathia, Burnett, Teixeira.

Obviously they've improved, but I honestly don't think it's by leaps and bounds.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

they still need one more big contract, just to get back to last years payroll.
I like you guys a lot.
Isn't there a limit on how many Type A free agents you can sign?
<!--quoteo(post=6793:date=Dec 23 2008, 08:50 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 23 2008, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Add SWISH!, Sabathia, Burnett, Teixeira.

Obviously they've improved, but I honestly don't think it's by leaps and bounds.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fixed. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
<!--quoteo(post=6817:date=Dec 24 2008, 10:49 AM:name=leonardsipes)-->QUOTE (leonardsipes @ Dec 24 2008, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=6793:date=Dec 23 2008, 09:50 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 23 2008, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Add Sabathia, Burnett, Teixeira.

they still need one more big contract, just to get back to last years payroll.
Sounds like Pettitte will re-sign soon, but at a drastic pay cut, so there's one more.