Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yankees
If the Yanks are gonna win with their core, they better do it quickly. A-Rod and Jeter are approaching their mid-30's, and Posada is late-30's.
And Mariano Rivera is certainly the greatest closer in MLB history, and continues to impress, but at some point he's gonna hit a wall...he's been an elite closer for over a decade, and that includes a LOT of post-season wear-and-tear.

So I can see why they decided to go for the gusto right away, but I agree with the consensus on this site: that division is a toss-up between 3 of the strongest teams in baseball.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=7404:date=Dec 29 2008, 07:49 AM:name=Nexus)-->QUOTE (Nexus @ Dec 29 2008, 07:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The Yankees are certainly stacking themselves up but I don't see the chemistry working in their favor. Throwing too much money at their problems hasn't really been helping them all that much this decade. I think the Yankees will have great win streaks help them out this season but I'm not so certain they can stay stable in October (should they get there).<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
There will have no chemistry at all. The run of titles from 96-00 was driven by their solid core of guys who were brought up at the same time -- Jeter, Bernie, Posada, Mo. They need to focus on having young guys like Cano, Kennedy, Hughes, Joba and co. building a repeat of that core. The problem could be that their young guys are mostly pitchers.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
I think the Rays have a lot going for them, especially their pitching, but I see them as having a few candidates for injuries, and could suffer from the general fatigue that follows a group of young pitchers logging more innings than they ever have before, both regular season and postseason. I don't expect them to suck, but it wouldn't surprise me if they took a few steps back and only won 85 games or so. I still think the Red Sox are the class of that division, but it's going to be a fun 3-way race. I think the Yanks have improved, but probably not by more than 5-7 games. A lot will ride on their bullpen, which outside of Rivera is mediocre at best.
<!--quoteo(post=7443:date=Dec 29 2008, 02:32 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 29 2008, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think the Rays have a lot going for them, especially their pitching, but I seem them have a few candidates for injuries, and could suffer from the general fatigue that follows a group of young pitchers logging more innings than they ever have before, both regular season and postseason. I don't expect them to suck, but it wouldn't surprise me if they took a few steps back and only won 85 games or so. I still think the Red Sox are the class of that division, but it's going to be a fun 3-way race. I think the Yanks have improved, but probably not by more than 5-7 games. A lot will ride on their bullpen, which outside of Rivera is mediocre at best.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have to agree. I'm not certain the Rays can repeat what they did this season but they will definitely be an excellent team. The competition in that division is too fierce so I don't know if they can hold their own but I really hope they can. They are a fun team to watch. To think that not long ago they were just an after thought.
<!--quoteo(post=7438:date=Dec 29 2008, 12:16 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Dec 29 2008, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7404:date=Dec 29 2008, 07:49 AM:name=Nexus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nexus @ Dec 29 2008, 07:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The Yankees are certainly stacking themselves up but I don't see the chemistry working in their favor. Throwing too much money at their problems hasn't really been helping them all that much this decade. I think the Yankees will have great win streaks help them out this season but I'm not so certain they can stay stable in October (should they get there).<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
There will have no chemistry at all. The run of titles from 96-00 was driven by their solid core of guys who were brought up at the same time -- Jeter, Bernie, Posada, Mo. They need to focus on having young guys like Cano, Kennedy, Hughes, Joba and co. building a repeat of that core. The problem could be that their young guys are mostly pitchers.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

chemistry? ever hear of the yankee teams in the late 70's? how was their chemistry?
Wang.
chemistry is overrated.
Cap is Just Sayin'
[Image: lou.jpg]
Well the Red Sox tried to make up for missing out on Tex. Wow:

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Red Sox made a play to re-acquire Marlins superstar Hanley Ramirez after losing out to the rival Yankees for star free agent Mark Teixeira, league sources tell SI.com. But while the Marlins listened to Boston's overtures, Florida isn't anxious to trade its best player, and talks apparently have been aborted after no agreement could be reached.

The Marlins were said to be most interested in a center fielder, and discussions apparently centered on Boston's promising youngster Jacoby Ellsbury, talented pitching prospect Clay Buchholz and others in a package for Ramirez, who began in Boston's organization.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Though the Red Sox can't quite match the Yankees dollar for dollar, Boston is willing to think creatively to try to enhance its offense. While the cost-conscious Marlins listened to Boston's proposals, Florida would need to be overwhelmed to consider dealing Ramirez, who's considered one of the best young offensive players in the game. Since Boston is said to be happy with Jed Lowrie at shortstop, it's possible the Red Sox might have considered using Ramirez in center field.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link(SI.Com)
If I'm starting a franchise, he might be my first pick. The fishfucks would be beyond foolish to trade this guy. He just turned 25 last week. So he can still improve at SS where he's been very error-prone, but I bet he ends up in CF soon and it sounds like that's where the Red Sox were going to put him.
@TheBlogfines
Red Sox are probably just trying to create a media story for the fans. The Marlins would be foolish to trade Ramirez unless overwhelmed by an amazing no doubt in your mind type offer.