Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ditching Marquis Thread
Juan Pierre will always be my least favorite Cub. Forever and ever.
Cedeno and it's not close.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=9539:date=Jan 6 2009, 04:41 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jan 6 2009, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Juan Pierre will always be my least favorite Cub. Forever and ever.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
If we're talking all-time, Pierre and LaTroy are running neck and neck. But currently, it's Cotts by a landslide.
<!--quoteo(post=9539:date=Jan 6 2009, 04:41 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jan 6 2009, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Juan Pierre will always be my least favorite Cub. Forever and ever.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I can see why, but it should be noted that in 162 games as the Cub CFer, he did not make an error.
Not one.
So, according to Clapp's theory of fielding stats, he's the best defensive CF in baseball.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
Rok, that was funny. All-time least favorite Cub should be it's own thread.
I have a few candidates, but I never recall having the intensity of bad vibes that I felt for Howry, late last season.

I had a similar feeling toward Fuk, when Lou inexplicably started him for 2 games in the playoffs, and he had the weakest 0-for-8 in the history of organized baseball.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=9547:date=Jan 6 2009, 05:45 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jan 6 2009, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=9539:date=Jan 6 2009, 04:41 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jan 6 2009, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Juan Pierre will always be my least favorite Cub. Forever and ever.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I can see why, but it should be noted that in 162 games as the Cub CFer, he did not make an error.
Not one.
So, according to Clapp's theory of fielding stats, he's the best defensive CF in baseball.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I actually watch the games and go by my eyes. Juan Pierre has maybe the worst arm in baseball, so he's not close.
@TheBlogfines
I sorta hated Neifi and Rosie Brown. You know, I kind of hated Corey Patterson, but hindsight's 20/20.
<!--quoteo(post=7820:date=Dec 31 2008, 11:26 AM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Dec 31 2008, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7816:date=Dec 31 2008, 09:16 AM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Dec 31 2008, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7810:date=Dec 31 2008, 07:34 AM:name=Andy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Andy @ Dec 31 2008, 07:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7800:date=Dec 31 2008, 08:08 AM:name=Mikey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mikey @ Dec 31 2008, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Wolf is a "B" FA.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Speaking of FA compensation. The Brewers are NOT getting a 1st rounder for CC. HA! They're pissed too. Tex was a higher ranking FA, so the Angels get the 1st rounder and the Brewers get the 2nd round.
They can be as mad as they won't but the truth of the matter is that it doesn't matter. The draft so much of a crap shoot, other than the first few picks, it's a free for all. Besides, Marquis was a sandwich pick...

While I agree its somewhat of a crapshoot, a higher pick certainly has a better chance of making it to the bigs.

Percent of players drafted making it to the bigs

Round 1: 67%
Round 2: 49%
Round 3-5: 32%
Round 6-10: 20%
Round 11+: 9%

Round 1 picks also have almost twice as many all-star appearances as round 2 picks.

I just now saw this. Fella, where did you get those numbers from? They feel like they can't be right, mathematically speaking. I have absolutely nothing to base that on, just eye-balling the numbers and thinking about how many guys are drafted each year.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
To be honest I cant remember, it was a week ago, I was just searching with google, but the numbers are similar everywhere you look. I have checked several times before. The first ones I found were players drafted from 65-2001 this is a different list that shows only more recent years, but its very similar.

http://www.angelfire.com/vt/prospectwatch/index171.html
Soriano goes from being my least favorite to most favorite Cub on a weekly basis it seems.
<!--quoteo(post=9644:date=Jan 6 2009, 09:29 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jan 6 2009, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Soriano goes from being my least favorite to most favorite Cub on a weekly basis it seems.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
If he shits the bed in the playoffs again, which I expect him to, he'll be at the top of my list. So far we've only given him 30 million dollars(8 million of which was his signing bonus), but will be giving him 106 million over the next 6 years(17.7 per). I think he has a lot left and will hit just fine at least most of the way through that contract, but if he keeps sucking in the playoffs, wow will I hate him.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=9644:date=Jan 6 2009, 08:29 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jan 6 2009, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Soriano goes from being my least favorite to most favorite Cub on a weekly basis it seems.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I totally agree. I spent $160 on an authentic blue Soriano jersey, and he was my favorite Cubs player when he got here. But after this last playoff series, I came very very close to listing that jersey on ebay and totally swearing him off.
Hes still going to be a very productive player during the next few seasons, but if he has another postseason like this last one I won't be able to take it.

Cotts is definitely the most hated right now, followed by Wuertz, and Marquis wasn't far behind.

The only thing I'll miss about Marquis is the little post-game analysis he would give after games he pitched.

Marquis line: 3 IP, 6 ER

Reporter: So how do you think you did today?

Marquis: I felt I did well, just missed a couple spots.

EVERY FUCKIN TIME. The guy could never admit that he had a shitty game, he ALWAYS did well, except for "missing a couple spots"
How about Phil Nevin? Rapp??????????
<!--quoteo(post=9664:date=Jan 6 2009, 09:57 PM:name=DaveB)-->QUOTE (DaveB @ Jan 6 2009, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=9644:date=Jan 6 2009, 08:29 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jan 6 2009, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Soriano goes from being my least favorite to most favorite Cub on a weekly basis it seems.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I totally agree. I spent $160 on an authentic blue Soriano jersey, and he was my favorite Cubs player when he got here. But after this last playoff series, I came very very close to listing that jersey on ebay and totally swearing him off.
Hes still going to be a very productive player during the next few seasons, but if he has another postseason like this last one I won't be able to take it.

Cotts is definitely the most hated right now, followed by Wuertz, and Marquis wasn't far behind.

The only thing I'll miss about Marquis is the little post-game analysis he would give after games he pitched.

Marquis line: 3 IP, 6 ER

Reporter: So how do you think you did today?

Marquis: I felt I did well, just missed a couple spots.

EVERY FUCKIN TIME. The guy could never admit that he had a shitty game, he ALWAYS did well, except for "missing a couple spots"
Cotts isn't really that bad. I can think of alot worse LH relief pitchers then him actually....
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=9585:date=Jan 6 2009, 04:48 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Jan 6 2009, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7820:date=Dec 31 2008, 11:26 AM:name=Fella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fella @ Dec 31 2008, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7816:date=Dec 31 2008, 09:16 AM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Dec 31 2008, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7810:date=Dec 31 2008, 07:34 AM:name=Andy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Andy @ Dec 31 2008, 07:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7800:date=Dec 31 2008, 08:08 AM:name=Mikey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mikey @ Dec 31 2008, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Wolf is a "B" FA.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Speaking of FA compensation. The Brewers are NOT getting a 1st rounder for CC. HA! They're pissed too. Tex was a higher ranking FA, so the Angels get the 1st rounder and the Brewers get the 2nd round.
They can be as mad as they won't but the truth of the matter is that it doesn't matter. The draft so much of a crap shoot, other than the first few picks, it's a free for all. Besides, Marquis was a sandwich pick...

While I agree its somewhat of a crapshoot, a higher pick certainly has a better chance of making it to the bigs.

Percent of players drafted making it to the bigs

Round 1: 67%
Round 2: 49%
Round 3-5: 32%
Round 6-10: 20%
Round 11+: 9%

Round 1 picks also have almost twice as many all-star appearances as round 2 picks.

I just now saw this. Fella, where did you get those numbers from? They feel like they can't be right, mathematically speaking. I have absolutely nothing to base that on, just eye-balling the numbers and thinking about how many guys are drafted each year.

Sounds like you're basing it on the Cubs' success drafting in the 1st round.