Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Time Best Cubs - Third Base
Wow, Joe Randa and Shea Hillenbrand. We were really shooting for the moon in those days.
Just reading that thing from Andy makes me all the more appreciative that we have Aramis locked up to a long-term deal, and he's still in his 20's.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
By the time that Aramis is done, he will be #1 on the list.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
<!--quoteo(post=7667:date=Dec 30 2008, 01:33 PM:name=savant)-->QUOTE (savant @ Dec 30 2008, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->By the time that Aramis is done, he will be #1 on the list.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hall of fame?
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=7686:date=Dec 30 2008, 03:44 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 30 2008, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7667:date=Dec 30 2008, 01:33 PM:name=savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (savant @ Dec 30 2008, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->By the time that Aramis is done, he will be #1 on the list.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hall of fame?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i'd be surprised if Aramis was a HOFer. His numbers will compare well historically, but his current day competition will be A-Rod and David Wright,
<!--quoteo(post=7689:date=Dec 30 2008, 02:49 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Dec 30 2008, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7686:date=Dec 30 2008, 03:44 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 30 2008, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7667:date=Dec 30 2008, 01:33 PM:name=savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (savant @ Dec 30 2008, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->By the time that Aramis is done, he will be #1 on the list.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hall of fame?

i'd be surprised if Aramis was a HOFer. His numbers will compare well historically, but his current day competition will be A-Rod and David Wright,
well, i think a-rod is gonna be remembered as a shortstop more than third, and though wright is better, he isn't significantly better.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=7689:date=Dec 30 2008, 12:49 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Dec 30 2008, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7686:date=Dec 30 2008, 03:44 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 30 2008, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7667:date=Dec 30 2008, 01:33 PM:name=savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (savant @ Dec 30 2008, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->By the time that Aramis is done, he will be #1 on the list.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hall of fame?

Exactly, and he lacks a true career year. He's capable of 40/120 every year but falls well short, and he'd new a few of those for Cooperstown. The Hank Aaron Award won't cut it.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=7691:date=Dec 30 2008, 03:51 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 30 2008, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7689:date=Dec 30 2008, 02:49 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Dec 30 2008, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7686:date=Dec 30 2008, 03:44 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 30 2008, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7667:date=Dec 30 2008, 01:33 PM:name=savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (savant @ Dec 30 2008, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->By the time that Aramis is done, he will be #1 on the list.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hall of fame?

well, i think a-rod is gonna be remembered as a shortstop more than third, and though wright is better, he isn't significantly better.

You may be right about A-Rod, but if he plays until he is 40, and remains at 3b, he will have played twice as many games at 3B than at SS. I forgot to include Miguel Cabrera and Chipper Jones. Miggy may be moved to the OF at some point, but Chipper has had a much better career.
He will be 30 in June, he has 1400 hits, 249 homers, and is just shy of 900 RBI. Since putting on the Cubs uniform he has been right at a .300 hitter with a .900 ops and consistently driving in 100 plus runs a year. So, I think with 5 or six more years he has a very good chance to be a hall of famer.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
<!--quoteo(post=7694:date=Dec 30 2008, 12:57 PM:name=savant)-->QUOTE (savant @ Dec 30 2008, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->He will be 30 in June, he has 1400 hits, 249 homers, and is just shy of 900 RBI. Since putting on the Cubs uniform he has been right at a .300 hitter with a .900 ops and consistently driving in 100 plus runs a year. So, I think with 5 or six more years he has a very good chance to be a hall of famer.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He's gonna have similar numbers to Santo, but he has more competition. Chipper Jones is a perfect example, he's a shoe-in compared to Rami. Right now Aramis' numbers are comparable to Glaus, and he's definitely not in HOF.
Here are some lists from Baseball Prospectus regarding Ramirez.

Most Similar Batters:
1. Mike Lowell
2. Soriano
3. Eric Chavez
4. Javy Lopez
5. Adrian Beltre
6. Geoff Jenkins
7. Danny Tartabull
8. Wally Berger???
9. Mike Sweeney
10. Jorge Posada

Similar Batter through Age 30
1. Scott Rolen
2. Eric Chavez
3. Greg Luzinski
4. Shawn Green
5. Gary Sheffield
6. Carlos Lee
7. Carlos Beltran
8. Dale Murphy
9. Rudy York
10. Chipper Jones

The second list makes me think he could make the HOF if he finishes his career with some big years. The first makes me think he is facing a huge uphill battle to make it. The only ones on that list that have a shot at the HOF are catchers (I guess Soriano has an outside chance).
<!--quoteo(post=7697:date=Dec 30 2008, 01:02 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Dec 30 2008, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Here are some lists from Baseball Prospectus regarding Ramirez.

Most Similar Batters:
1. Mike Lowell
2. Soriano
3. Eric Chavez
4. Javy Lopez
5. Adrian Beltre
6. Geoff Jenkins
7. Danny Tartabull
8. Wally Berger???
9. Mike Sweeney
10. Jorge Posada

Similar Batter through Age 30
1. Scott Rolen
2. Eric Chavez
3. Greg Luzinski
4. Shawn Green
5. Gary Sheffield
6. Carlos Lee
7. Carlos Beltran
8. Dale Murphy
9. Rudy York
10. Chipper Jones

The second list makes me think he could make the HOF if he finishes his career with some big years. The first makes me think he is facing a huge uphill battle to make it. The only ones on that list that have a shot at the HOF are catchers (I guess Soriano has an outside chance).<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Rolen and Lowell are good comparisons. He's got the career numbers of Rolen and Lowell's career years are like Rami's standards.
The only problem is this: those lists are based strictly on offensive numbers. Lowell, and especially Rolen, are known for being outstanding glove men.

OTOH, Aramis is amazingly consistent, and doesn't possess the injury bug that has plagued Lowell and Rolen, so perhaps he'll be able to one day compile large enough numbers to be a HOF candidate.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=7569:date=Dec 30 2008, 06:58 AM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Dec 30 2008, 06:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I believe Mark Bellhorn has a World Series ring. And he played the majority of last year right here in Louisville for the Reds AAA team.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Red Sox fans love him. He had big homers in games 6 and 7 of the 2004 ALCS, and the game-winner(I believe) in game 1 of the World Series against the Tards.
@TheBlogfines
3 syllables... Ron Santo. It just pisses me off that year after year the HOF just doesn't recognize him as what he is.. a Hall of Fame Third Baseman
[Image: eaobup.jpg]