Kevin Leonard Orie
Steve Buechele
Gary Gaetti
Willie Greene
Dave Magadan
Todd Zeille
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=7399:date=Dec 29 2008, 09:32 AM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ Dec 29 2008, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Steve Buechele
Gary Gaetti
Willie Greene
Dave Magadan
Todd Zeille<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I actually have happy memories of all of the above except for Willie, I'm sad to say.
It's probably not as thin as it looks, because good 3rd baseman, in general, are rare. They are, by far, the least represented position in the HOF.
<!--coloro:#0000FF--><!--/coloro-->Stan Hack<!--colorc-->
<!--/colorc--> is a borderline HOF candidate: career .300 hitter, slick glove man, 5-time All-Star, got MVP votes in 8 seasons. His career OPS+ of 119 compares favorably with HOF 3rd basemen Brooks Robinson (104), Pie Traynor (107), Freddie Lindstrom (109), George Kell (111), and Jimmy Collins (113).

<!--coloro:#0000FF--><!--/coloro-->Santo<!--colorc-->
<!--/colorc--> is a freaking HOFer. It's a shame, really. Five-time Gold-glover, 125 OPS+ hitter...compare that to these other guys, it's laughable.

As for the Cubs, I do recall that between Santo and Aramis, we had about 35 different guys who tried to fill the position, didn't we?

One more name for ya: <!--coloro:#0000FF--><!--/coloro-->Harry Steinfeldt<!--colorc-->
<!--/colorc-->. The <i>other</i> guy in the Tinker-Evers-Chance infield.
Had there been an All-Star game in those days, he'd have likely been an AS...was in the NL top-ten in OPS a couple times, led the league in hits and RBI once, played in 4 World Series, had an MVP-calibre season when the Cubs won 116 games in 1906. Plus, he's the answer to a common trivia question!
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=7403:date=Dec 29 2008, 09:43 AM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 29 2008, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's probably not as thin as it looks, because good 3rd baseman, in general, are rare. They are, by far, the least represented position in the HOF.
<!--/colorc--> is a borderline HOF candidate: career .300 hitter, slick glove man, 5-time All-Star, got MVP votes in 8 seasons. His career OPS+ of 119 compares favorably with HOF 3rd basemen Brooks Robinson (104), Pie Traynor (107), Freddie Lindstrom (109), George Kell (111), and Jimmy Collins (113).

<!--/colorc--> is a freaking HOFer. It's a shame, really. Five-time Gold-glover, 125 OPS+ hitter...compare that to these other guys, it's laughable.

As for the Cubs, I do recall that between Santo and Aramis, we had about 35 different guys who tried to fill the position, didn't we?

One more name for ya: <!--coloro:#0000FF--><!--/coloro-->Harry Steinfeldt<!--colorc-->
Had there been an All-Star game in those days, he'd have likely been an AS...was in the NL top-ten in OPS a couple times, led the league in hits and RBI once, played in 4 World Series, had an MVP-calibre season when the Cubs won 116 games in 1906. Plus, he's the answer to a common trivia question!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

harry steinfeldt was a much better player than tinkers, evers, or chance, but he didn't get a gay poem written about him so he doesn't get in the hall of fame.

anyhoo, based on what i've seen:

1. aramis ramirez
2. ron cey
3. ryne sandberg
4. vance law.
5. bill mueller

wow is that pathetic.

ryno was thirdbaseman his first full year, so he gets a nod.
vance law gets a vote becuase he made the all star team one year at third base.
i replaced keith moreland with bill mueller. tore up his leg making a great catch, went to boston the next year and won a batting title. typical.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=7403:date=Dec 29 2008, 09:43 AM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Dec 29 2008, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's probably not as thin as it looks, because good 3rd baseman, in general, are rare. They are, by far, the least represented position in the HOF.

Had there been an All-Star game in those days, he'd have likely been an AS...was in the NL top-ten in OPS a couple times, led the league in hits and RBI once, played in 4 World Series, had an MVP-calibre season when the Cubs won 116 games in 1906. Plus, he's the answer to a common trivia question!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

harry steinfeldt was a much better player than tinkers, evers, or chance, but he didn't get a gay poem written about him so he doesn't get in the hall of fame.

anyhoo, based on what i've seen:

1. aramis ramirez
2. ron cey
3. ryne sandberg
4. vnce law.
5. keith moreland

wow is that pathetic.

ryno was thirdbaseman his first full year, so he gets a nod.
vance law gets a vote becuase he made the all star team one year at third base.
keith moreland gets a vote because even though he was a brutal thirdbaseman and i think he only played there for a year, he did hit 27 home runs.
Wang.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->As for the Cubs, I do recall that between Santo and Aramis, we had about 35 different guys who tried to fill the position, didn't we?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sadly it was very flavor of the month. Makes you appreciate a player like Aramis a lot more.
<!--quoteo(post=7411:date=Dec 29 2008, 10:00 AM:name=Nexus)-->QUOTE (Nexus @ Dec 29 2008, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->As for the Cubs, I do recall that between Santo and Aramis, we had about 35 different guys who tried to fill the position, didn't we?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sadly it was very flavor of the month. Makes you appreciate a player like Aramis a lot more.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
One of the many reasons that I was glad that Jim got him signed. And with a home-town discount, to boot!
Aramis has been a huge feather in Jim's cap...that still stands as the best trade of his tenure.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
one of my favorites that I saw play was Bill Mueller. after he slide into that wall, he wasn't the same, but he seemed like a great guy. and played well for a bit.
[Image: lou.jpg]
Ron Coomer and Doug Strange [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
[Image: lou.jpg]
<!--quoteo(post=7411:date=Dec 29 2008, 10:00 AM:name=Nexus)-->QUOTE (Nexus @ Dec 29 2008, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Sadly it was very flavor of the month. Makes you appreciate a player like Aramis a lot more.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have never been as wrong in my assessment of a player as I was with Aramis. Not even close.
<!--quoteo(post=7417:date=Dec 29 2008, 10:29 AM:name=Mikey)-->QUOTE (Mikey @ Dec 29 2008, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->one of my favorites that I saw play was Bill Mueller. after he slide into that wall, he wasn't the same, but he seemed like a great guy. and played well for a bit.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

bill mueller. good call. i will amend my list.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=7417:date=Dec 29 2008, 10:29 AM:name=Mikey)-->QUOTE (Mikey @ Dec 29 2008, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->one of my favorites that I saw play was Bill Mueller. after he slide into that wall, he wasn't the same, but he seemed like a great guy. and played well for a bit.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I always liked him. He was ripping the ball until that happened.
Kevin Orie didn't make it? You guys forgetting his solid gold glove?
[Image: orie.gif]
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.