Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeRosa Traded to Indians
Yeah, I actually live out in San Diego for a portion of the year, and I know that it is not a pretty situation right now.
All the fans know what is going on, and they know its going to be a tough couple of years for the Padres with or without Peavy. PetCo Park is going to be a ghost town.
<!--quoteo(post=8524:date=Jan 3 2009, 11:51 AM:name=cherp)-->QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 3 2009, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8519:date=Jan 3 2009, 11:34 AM:name=Runnys)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runnys @ Jan 3 2009, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think Peavy will be gone no matter what happens with ownership. I don't know what team it will be too, but you have got to think the Cubs are still the front runners. It may mean getting rid of Pie, Guzman, Marshall, and Cedeno though. They are going to want players that are ML ready right now and all 4 of those guys could step into their lineup right now.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd be surprised if Moorad unloads a Cy Young calibre pitcher. I'd be even more surprised if he does it for a group of guys like those you list.

IMHO, if all it would take were Vitters along with those four, the deal would already be done.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
IMHO, it's extremely unlikely that any fan(let alone a Sox fan) would have any idea what the inner workings of a deal between the Cubs and Padres would entail. Also, from every indication, it's been the Braves and Cubs that have pulled the plugs on these deals, not the Padres.
As much as I want to add Peavy, I can honestly say I wouldn't give up Vitters/Marshall/Pie/Cedeno/Guzman for him. And I will be shocked if we or anyone else gives up that much for him, mainly because his contract isn't like Haren's, it's a slightly below market value deal......Levine evidently said today the package seems to be Vitters/Hart/Castillo/Stevens as to what's being talked about......Now, that seems awfully light to me(and maybe it still intails us sending Pie to Baltimore for Olsen and making this a 3 way deal) and that would make more sense at least from the Pads perspective.
<!--quoteo(post=8531:date=Jan 3 2009, 01:54 PM:name=DaveB)-->QUOTE (DaveB @ Jan 3 2009, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8529:date=Jan 3 2009, 12:36 PM:name=AlexV)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AlexV @ Jan 3 2009, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->From mlbtraderumors.com:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->The sale could give the Padres the financial stability to take Jake Peavy off the market. Peter Gammons wrote today that Cubs GM Jim Hendry "hasn't given up" on Peavy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ok, so that answers the questions about the DeRosa trade, Hendry is still planning to get Peavy. The question now is, do the Padres even want to trade him anymore?

This is very good news, like you said, Hendry did have something up his sleeve by unloading DeRo.
Did you really think otherwise?
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=8536:date=Jan 3 2009, 01:48 PM:name=DaveB)-->QUOTE (DaveB @ Jan 3 2009, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I wouldn't want to give up Vitters to get Peavy.
But Marshall, Cedeno, Guzman, Pie-Man, and Mr. Olympics from the DeRo deal, I'm confident Hendry could work something out with that group as a basis. Those are all guys who can step in and play at the ML level for cheap.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I think a lot of us here don't realize Cedeno, Guzman, and Pie kinda....suck? And Marshall is unproven.
"If you throw at someone's head, it's very dangerous, because in the head is the brain." -- Pudge Rodriguez to AM 1270 WXYT in Detroit
<!--quoteo(post=8558:date=Jan 3 2009, 06:05 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Jan 3 2009, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8531:date=Jan 3 2009, 01:54 PM:name=DaveB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DaveB @ Jan 3 2009, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8529:date=Jan 3 2009, 12:36 PM:name=AlexV)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AlexV @ Jan 3 2009, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->From mlbtraderumors.com:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->The sale could give the Padres the financial stability to take Jake Peavy off the market. Peter Gammons wrote today that Cubs GM Jim Hendry "hasn't given up" on Peavy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ok, so that answers the questions about the DeRosa trade, Hendry is still planning to get Peavy. The question now is, do the Padres even want to trade him anymore?

This is very good news, like you said, Hendry did have something up his sleeve by unloading DeRo.

I didn't think otherwise, but then again I didn't want to get my hopes up. Because we all know how it goes with this team and getting hopes up.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->I think a lot of us here don't realize Cedeno, Guzman, and Pie kinda....suck? And Marshall is unproven.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I do realize that Cedeno and Pie kinda... suck. But I don't think they suck so much that another team wouldn't take a chance on them. Teams could like Pie's speed, and Cedeno played a decent back-up role last season compared to how he played in previous seasons.
I dont think you can judge Guzman yet because hes just been injuried too much to show what hes made of.
As for Marshall... I think hes shown he can be reliable at the ML level.
<!--quoteo(post=8562:date=Jan 3 2009, 06:51 PM:name=DaveB)-->QUOTE (DaveB @ Jan 3 2009, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8558:date=Jan 3 2009, 06:05 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Jan 3 2009, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8531:date=Jan 3 2009, 01:54 PM:name=DaveB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DaveB @ Jan 3 2009, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8529:date=Jan 3 2009, 12:36 PM:name=AlexV)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AlexV @ Jan 3 2009, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->From mlbtraderumors.com:

I didn't think otherwise, but then again I didn't want to get my hopes up. Because we all know how it goes with this team and getting hopes up.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->I think a lot of us here don't realize Cedeno, Guzman, and Pie kinda....suck? And Marshall is unproven.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I do realize that Cedeno and Pie kinda... suck. But I don't think they suck so much that another team wouldn't take a chance on them. Someone will like Pie's speed, and Cedeno played a decent back-up roll last season compared to his previous seasons.
I dont think you can judge Guzman yet because hes just been injuried too much to show what hes made of.
As for Marshall... I think hes shown he can be reliable at the ML level.
I just don't think the Padres would trade a Cy Young pitcher for a chance on Pie's speed, Cedeno's back-up abilities and the chance Guzman may pitch more than 25 games in a season.

I like Marshall and think he is fine, but he ha sneve rpitched more than 125 innings.

I would still love to get Peavy, but I seriously think DeRosa was our shot to get him. And if we were going to trade D-Ro anyways, might as well have done it for Peavy in some way.
"If you throw at someone's head, it's very dangerous, because in the head is the brain." -- Pudge Rodriguez to AM 1270 WXYT in Detroit
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->I just don't think the Padres would trade a Cy Young pitcher for a chance on Pie's speed, Cedeno's back-up abilities and the chance Guzman may pitch more than 25 games in a season.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, they would trade him for all of that AND the chance to get out of an 85 million dollar obligation.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=8554:date=Jan 3 2009, 05:35 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jan 3 2009, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8524:date=Jan 3 2009, 11:51 AM:name=cherp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 3 2009, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8519:date=Jan 3 2009, 11:34 AM:name=Runnys)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runnys @ Jan 3 2009, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think Peavy will be gone no matter what happens with ownership. I don't know what team it will be too, but you have got to think the Cubs are still the front runners. It may mean getting rid of Pie, Guzman, Marshall, and Cedeno though. They are going to want players that are ML ready right now and all 4 of those guys could step into their lineup right now.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd be surprised if Moorad unloads a Cy Young calibre pitcher. I'd be even more surprised if he does it for a group of guys like those you list.

IMHO, if all it would take were Vitters along with those four, the deal would already be done.
IMHO, it's extremely unlikely that any fan(let alone a Sox fan) would have any idea what the inner workings of a deal between the Cubs and Padres would entail. Also, from every indication, it's been the Braves and Cubs that have pulled the plugs on these deals, not the Padres.

I did say it was my opinion - right?

<!--quoteo(post=8582:date=Jan 3 2009, 11:04 PM:name=cherp)-->QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 3 2009, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8554:date=Jan 3 2009, 05:35 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jan 3 2009, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8524:date=Jan 3 2009, 11:51 AM:name=cherp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 3 2009, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8519:date=Jan 3 2009, 11:34 AM:name=Runnys)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runnys @ Jan 3 2009, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think Peavy will be gone no matter what happens with ownership. I don't know what team it will be too, but you have got to think the Cubs are still the front runners. It may mean getting rid of Pie, Guzman, Marshall, and Cedeno though. They are going to want players that are ML ready right now and all 4 of those guys could step into their lineup right now.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cherp...there are some that feel your opinion doesn't matter!

Honestly though, I don't think the whole thing with Moorad is going to have any bearing on Peavy. Their team is not build to compete now or even within the next 3-5 years. Keeping Peavy makes zero sense for them. One guy who pitches every 5th day is not going to bring revenue to that team. I believe Peavy is as good as gone...whether it is before the season starts or at the trade deadline is a different story...but mark my words....Peavy is NOT a Padre at the end of the season!
<!--quoteo(post=8582:date=Jan 3 2009, 11:04 PM:name=cherp)-->QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 3 2009, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8554:date=Jan 3 2009, 05:35 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jan 3 2009, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8524:date=Jan 3 2009, 11:51 AM:name=cherp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 3 2009, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8519:date=Jan 3 2009, 11:34 AM:name=Runnys)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runnys @ Jan 3 2009, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think Peavy will be gone no matter what happens with ownership. I don't know what team it will be too, but you have got to think the Cubs are still the front runners. It may mean getting rid of Pie, Guzman, Marshall, and Cedeno though. They are going to want players that are ML ready right now and all 4 of those guys could step into their lineup right now.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, you said it was your humble opinion, which is funny on so many levels.
Apparently Carrie Muskrat doesn't think we are getting Peavy.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->A rumored deal that could be finalized this week would send pitcher Jason Marquis to the Colorado Rockies for right-handed reliever Luis Vizcaino. That doesn't necessarily mean the Cubs will call the Padres and revive talks about Jake Peavy, but more likely that Sean Marshall will be in the rotation.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo(post=8909:date=Jan 5 2009, 01:56 AM:name=DaveB)-->QUOTE (DaveB @ Jan 5 2009, 01:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Apparently Carrie Muskrat doesn't think we are getting Peavy.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->A rumored deal that could be finalized this week would send pitcher Jason Marquis to the Colorado Rockies for right-handed reliever Luis Vizcaino. That doesn't necessarily mean the Cubs will call the Padres and revive talks about Jake Peavy, but more likely that Sean Marshall will be in the rotation.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Good. I hate that bitch.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=8910:date=Jan 5 2009, 12:08 AM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Jan 5 2009, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8909:date=Jan 5 2009, 01:56 AM:name=DaveB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DaveB @ Jan 5 2009, 01:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Apparently Carrie Muskrat doesn't think we are getting Peavy.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->A rumored deal that could be finalized this week would send pitcher Jason Marquis to the Colorado Rockies for right-handed reliever Luis Vizcaino. That doesn't necessarily mean the Cubs will call the Padres and revive talks about Jake Peavy, but more likely that Sean Marshall will be in the rotation.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Good. I hate that bitch.
She's so smug. Her mailbag answers are annoying.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
wow, miss a little, miss a lot. my computer at home is down and this is the first i heard of this.

let me say what i'm sure ahs been said by a lot of you already: this deal blows, but if it means we're getting peavy or roberts, then it's good. i'm gonna wait and see how this all pans out before i blow a gasket.
Wang.