Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeRosa Traded to Indians
<!--quoteo(post=8504:date=Jan 3 2009, 10:49 AM:name=savant)-->QUOTE (savant @ Jan 3 2009, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->When asked if it could be assumed his involvement would mean Peavy would be removed from the trade market, Moorad replied, "You should assume nothing of the sort. John and Becky (Moores) remain the primary owners of the Padres. I have no influence at all, nor will I have any influence on any of their personnel decisions.

San Diego Union Tribune

Yeah, now we have something else to talk about.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It also seems clear to me that he views this as an investment. Cutting payroll and rebuilding is certainly consistent with trying to make money.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
If he has an exclusive rights deal to buy the Padres and can complete it inside of 3 months, there is no incentive for the Pads to rush to trade Peavy for less than market value (as they would have to do if they send him to the Cubs). Moorad and company will be well financed and will be able to do what is in the franchise's best interest, not rush to make a divorice settlement go over as Moores is doing.

Maybe they still trade him? Sure - but they are no longer limited to rushing to do it now - and they are likely able to push Peavy to open his list of teams a bit - or they can afford to keep him if they want. That was why we were the favorite to get him before this - he had the NTC. He had all the leverage, and the clock was ticking on Moores to do something to pay off the former Mrs. Moores. Once they Moores are out of the picture, and it is Moorad and company in charge, there is no longer a race to sell Peavy to the highest bidder, or to be rebuilding. Who knows - if this can be completed, we may actually see them as buyers. Heck - they may suddenly become the favorite to sign Manny Ramirez.

Remember - the only reason Peavy was on the block was Mr and Mrs Moores finances. Taking that out of play, in my eyes, takes any odds of him being traded away cheaply (which is what we were getting in a Vitters + 4ish deal) down very quickly. It's not impossible - never is. But I don't see it happening IF this is true.
<!--quoteo(post=8508:date=Jan 3 2009, 10:23 AM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Jan 3 2009, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->even with Moorad buying the team, you could still have a situation where Peavy wants out, as the team isn't going to be very good very soon.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If it is initiated by Jake - that's a different story. If that is the case, you would expect he would open his list a bit more (from essentially just the Cubs since Atlanta refuses to give him his NTC) and start to consider some other franchises. That would up the bidding, up the cost, and likely take the Cubs out of play.

If Peavy wants out, he could get out today. He would just need to waive his NTC to NYY, NYM, BOS, LAA, LAD or a few other teams. The more teams he opens it up to - the more likely Towers can get fair value for a Cy Young candidate. As long as it is limited to just one team - I don't see how a deal gets done if Moores financial constraints are out of the picture replaced by a new ownership group lead by Moorad.
<!--quoteo(post=8510:date=Jan 3 2009, 10:41 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Jan 3 2009, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8504:date=Jan 3 2009, 10:49 AM:name=savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (savant @ Jan 3 2009, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->When asked if it could be assumed his involvement would mean Peavy would be removed from the trade market, Moorad replied, "You should assume nothing of the sort. John and Becky (Moores) remain the primary owners of the Padres. I have no influence at all, nor will I have any influence on any of their personnel decisions.

San Diego Union Tribune

It also seems clear to me that he views this as an investment. Cutting payroll and rebuilding is certainly consistent with trying to make money.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As is - Payroll is pretty low. If you cut it too far, by giving up your last really good player, you risk losing so many games that revenues fall too far. I can't see this payroll cut happening in isolation of the Moores issue. Do you?
<!--quoteo(post=8514:date=Jan 3 2009, 11:16 AM:name=cherp)-->QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 3 2009, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8510:date=Jan 3 2009, 10:41 AM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Jan 3 2009, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8504:date=Jan 3 2009, 10:49 AM:name=savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (savant @ Jan 3 2009, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->When asked if it could be assumed his involvement would mean Peavy would be removed from the trade market, Moorad replied, "You should assume nothing of the sort. John and Becky (Moores) remain the primary owners of the Padres. I have no influence at all, nor will I have any influence on any of their personnel decisions.

San Diego Union Tribune

As is - Payroll is pretty low. If you cut it too far, by giving up your last really good player, you risk losing so many games that revenues fall too far. I can't see this payroll cut happening in isolation of the Moores issue. Do you?

Peavy isn't their last really good player. Adrian Gonzalez is more valuable to that team than Peavy is. If they are going to go into a rebuilding mode you do it around that guy and not around a guy that only helps you 30 times a year. I think Peavy will be gone no matter what happens with ownership. I don't know what team it will be too, but you have got to think the Cubs are still the front runners. It may mean getting rid of Pie, Guzman, Marshall, and Cedeno though. They are going to want players that are ML ready right now and all 4 of those guys could step into their lineup right now.
They aren't getting a deal done in 3 months. And even if they do, it won't put SD's rebuilding on hold until then. No chance.
<!--quoteo(post=8519:date=Jan 3 2009, 11:34 AM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ Jan 3 2009, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think Peavy will be gone no matter what happens with ownership. I don't know what team it will be too, but you have got to think the Cubs are still the front runners. It may mean getting rid of Pie, Guzman, Marshall, and Cedeno though. They are going to want players that are ML ready right now and all 4 of those guys could step into their lineup right now.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd be surprised if Moorad unloads a Cy Young calibre pitcher. I'd be even more surprised if he does it for a group of guys like those you list.

IMHO, if all it would take were Vitters along with those four, the deal would already be done.

<!--quoteo(post=8504:date=Jan 3 2009, 09:49 AM:name=savant)-->QUOTE (savant @ Jan 3 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->When asked if it could be assumed his involvement would mean Peavy would be removed from the trade market, Moorad replied, “You should assume nothing of the sort. John and Becky (Moores) remain the primary owners of the Padres. I have no influence at all, nor will I have any influence on any of their personnel decisions.

San Diego Union Tribune

<!--quoteo(post=8524:date=Jan 3 2009, 11:51 AM:name=cherp)-->QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 3 2009, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8519:date=Jan 3 2009, 11:34 AM:name=Runnys)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runnys @ Jan 3 2009, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think Peavy will be gone no matter what happens with ownership. I don't know what team it will be too, but you have got to think the Cubs are still the front runners. It may mean getting rid of Pie, Guzman, Marshall, and Cedeno though. They are going to want players that are ML ready right now and all 4 of those guys could step into their lineup right now.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd be surprised if Moorad unloads a Cy Young calibre pitcher. I'd be even more surprised if he does it for a group of guys like those you list.

IMHO, if all it would take were Vitters along with those four, the deal would already be done.

What part of "I have no influence at all, nor will I have any influence on any of their personnel decisions", do you not understand!?!?
[Image: lou.jpg]
From mlbtraderumors.com:

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The sale could give the Padres the financial stability to take Jake Peavy off the market. Peter Gammons wrote today that Cubs GM Jim Hendry "hasn't given up" on Peavy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ok, so that answers the questions about the DeRosa trade, Hendry is still planning to get Peavy. The question now is, do the Padres even want to trade him anymore?
<!--quoteo(post=8529:date=Jan 3 2009, 12:36 PM:name=AlexV)-->QUOTE (AlexV @ Jan 3 2009, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->From mlbtraderumors.com:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->The sale could give the Padres the financial stability to take Jake Peavy off the market. Peter Gammons wrote today that Cubs GM Jim Hendry "hasn't given up" on Peavy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ok, so that answers the questions about the DeRosa trade, Hendry is still planning to get Peavy. The question now is, do the Padres even want to trade him anymore?

This is very good news, like you said, Hendry did have something up his sleeve by unloading DeRo.

And I don't buy the whole Padres "financial stability" thing. They are already in the process of full-blown rebuilding. They sold off most of their roster for cheap. So now we are expecting them to just stop the process completely because some guy from the DBacks *might* come along in 3+ months with a group of "investors" to claim a stake in the team? Keep in mind it isn't even confirmed yet, Moorad and his group aren't close to ready to pull this off yet.

Towers was ready to trade Peavy to the Cubs in December for the right prospects. Talks broke off.
Why?
Because Hendry didn't have the right prospects and backed out.
Now, Hendry has more potential bargaining chips and has come back and SAID that he "hasn't given up" on Peavy.
Hendry was the one who backed out. Now hes saying he wants back in, and you have to believe that something can be worked out.
<!--quoteo(post=8524:date=Jan 3 2009, 11:51 AM:name=cherp)-->QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 3 2009, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=8519:date=Jan 3 2009, 11:34 AM:name=Runnys)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runnys @ Jan 3 2009, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think Peavy will be gone no matter what happens with ownership. I don't know what team it will be too, but you have got to think the Cubs are still the front runners. It may mean getting rid of Pie, Guzman, Marshall, and Cedeno though. They are going to want players that are ML ready right now and all 4 of those guys could step into their lineup right now.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, but this goes back to "market value". It seems to me that Towers has an inflated sense of what the "market value" for Peavy actually is. There is a reason the Braves were reluctant to give up Yunel Escobar, while certainly a nice player, not a stud, in a deal for Peavy. There is a reason why the Cubs, who don't have a stud to give up in the deal, were the ones to pull the plug on this deal. In fact, specifically regarding your last statement, Hendry pretty much admitted that HE was the one who wasn't going to deal Vitters, and 4 other prospects for Peavy, and it wasn't Towers who had the problem with the basic deal.

If you assume that whomever deals for him is going to be on the hook for the 2013 option in order to get Peavy to waive his no trade clause, you are looking at a 5 year 85 million dollar commitment. Very few teams are willing to make that kind of commitment in today's economy. Fewer teams are willing to pay that, PLUS give Towers 5 prospects. Even fewer teams are willing to give up 5 prospects and include at least one 5 star prospect in the mix.

So is Peavy worth more than Pie, Guzman, Marshall, and Cedeno? Of course. Is Peavy and his 85 million dollar contract worth more than that? I'm not entirely sold. I would do it, but it's not my money, and I think the market would hesitate as well.

I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
I wouldn't want to give up Vitters to get Peavy.
But Marshall, Cedeno, Guzman, Pie-Man, and Mr. Olympics from the DeRo deal, I'm confident Hendry could work something out with that group as a basis. Those are all guys who can step in and play at the ML level for cheap.
Does anyone actually believe that Peavy, Gonzalez + a AAA team would still attract a decent crowd in SD just because Moorad, not exactly a household name, comes riding in on a horse to take part ownership in the team? Their fanbase has already given up, regardless of who is on the team opening day.

Let me introduce you to reality. The rebuilding process isn't ending now or in 3 months. Don't kid yourselves or try to act as though you know better.
Moorad is a devoute beliver in rebuilding the entire system from the ground up guy. In Arizona they got rid of everyone and rebuilt their entire system through the draft and Latin American development. If anything, the price for Peavy just went down.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
<!--quoteo(post=8538:date=Jan 3 2009, 02:15 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jan 3 2009, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Does anyone actually believe that Peavy, Gonzalez + a AAA team would still attract a decent crowd in SD just because Moorad, not exactly a household name, comes riding in on a horse to take part ownership in the team? Their fanbase has already given up, regardless of who is on the team opening day.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep. They'll lose 90 games with or without Peavy and Gonzalez.