Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cubs trade Pie
<!--quoteo(post=12762:date=Jan 21 2009, 10:01 AM:name=cherp)-->QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 21 2009, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Life is short boys and girls...how many times will we see BOTH teams in the playoffs at the same time? Enjoy it!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fuck the Sox in their fucking asses. Seeing them in the playoffs only hurts my enjoyment of them and I have no desire for it to ever happen again.
FWIW, few people have bitched about the Cubs more than me, especially when a flurry of obscenely stupid moves culminated in our abysmal '05 and '06 seasons. Yet I've pretty much enjoyed this past year, and not had much to say, even during the playoff fiasco.

Anytime the Cubs win 97 games, I'm a happy camper, and if we get into the playoffs yet again this year, I'll continue my cheerful, optimistic routine. It's a less stressful way of living.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
Who gives a shit about the fucking Sox?!
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
<!--quoteo(post=12766:date=Jan 21 2009, 10:12 AM:name=Jody)-->QUOTE (Jody @ Jan 21 2009, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Who gives a shit about the fucking Sox?!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Our new commander and chief does. 4 years of a White Sox fan in office. [ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
Bart!
I'm 100% fine with this. I'm just glad there's an actual plan in place that isn't, "Let's load up on retreads and hope we get lucky." I'm a little tired of that plan.

Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=12769:date=Jan 21 2009, 10:41 AM:name=Lance)-->QUOTE (Lance @ Jan 21 2009, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Bart!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Mr. Lance.
BART!

How you doing?

Rok
Did anyone see the ball last night where he had all of the troops from Chicago via satellite?

He asked them go around and introduce themselves and say what part of Chicago they are from. Here's kind of how it went.

"From Chicago."
"South Side? West Side?"
"West Side, sir."
"Most importantly...Sox fan or Cubs fan."
*laughs* "Cubs fan, sir."

The next person gets the microphone.

"From Naperville. Cubs fan."

Next person gets the microphone.

"From Chicago, and I'm a Cubs fan."

Obama is getting restless.

I think it was four or five people before they got to the first White Sox fan.

"OK. It looks like we're outnumbered, but that's alright."

Anyway...it was pretty funny.
Sox fans are fine, Sox fans that pretend to be Cubs fans on the internet for 5, 6, maybe 7 years are fucking losers.

Also, Obama is a basketball guy, I bet KB saw infinitely more basbeall games than Obama did last year.
<!--quoteo(post=12733:date=Jan 21 2009, 08:33 AM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ Jan 21 2009, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Brock...sure, the system hasn't really produced any all-stars aside from Soto. However, other teams have thought pretty highly of our minor league system to agree to trade players like Lee, Harden, and Ramirez. Yeah, we haven't produced anyone aside from Soto, but somehow Hendry still gets these teams to believe they are getting young players who will produce at a ML level while we get players that do great for us. Now, if we don't get Peavy this trade is a little different. However, we still had to get something for Pie. Even if we don't make a move to get Peavy now, there is nothing saying we won't get him midseason and I honestly believe that is the reason we are stockpiling all these arms in trades.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Runny's I don't think these trades you speak of have as much to do with our minor league system as much to do with the other teams inability to afford said player (ARam, Harden, D Lee). I really don't think the Marlins thought getting Hee Seop Choi for Derrek Lee was the answer. I also don't think that the Pirates getting Booby Hill, Jose Hernandez, and Matt Bruback was because the amazing strentgh of our farm system.

Harden I think I could give you.. Murton might be something kinda decent and I think Gallagher will be a good 3rd starter.

I just think saying our farm system is good because Hendry was able to swing these deals might be giving it a little too much credit.
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=12777:date=Jan 21 2009, 11:08 AM:name=PcB)-->QUOTE (PcB @ Jan 21 2009, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12733:date=Jan 21 2009, 08:33 AM:name=Runnys)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runnys @ Jan 21 2009, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Brock...sure, the system hasn't really produced any all-stars aside from Soto. However, other teams have thought pretty highly of our minor league system to agree to trade players like Lee, Harden, and Ramirez. Yeah, we haven't produced anyone aside from Soto, but somehow Hendry still gets these teams to believe they are getting young players who will produce at a ML level while we get players that do great for us. Now, if we don't get Peavy this trade is a little different. However, we still had to get something for Pie. Even if we don't make a move to get Peavy now, there is nothing saying we won't get him midseason and I honestly believe that is the reason we are stockpiling all these arms in trades.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Runny's I don't think these trades you speak of have as much to do with our minor league system as much to do with the other teams inability to afford said player (ARam, Harden, D Lee). I really don't think the Marlins thought getting Hee Seop Choi for Derrek Lee was the answer. I also don't think that the Pirates getting Booby Hill, Jose Hernandez, and Matt Bruback was because the amazing strentgh of our farm system.

Harden I think I could give you.. Murton might be something kinda decent and I think Gallagher will be a good 3rd starter.

I just think saying our farm system is good because Hendry was able to swing these deals might be giving it a little too much credit.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The Padres can't afford Peavy. Are we just going to give them Kyler Burke and call it even?

I think you are being unfair here BZ. Hill and Choi obviously weren't as good as the guys they were being traded for, and obviously money had something to do with it, but the fact is, opposing teams thought highly enough of those guys that they thought the deals were fair.

Our farm system isn't good because Hendry was able to swing these deals. Our farm system is good because it's produced a number of major league ready players the last few years AND it helped Hendry swing those deals. It's cumulative.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Padres can't afford Peavy. Are we just going to give them Kyler Burke and call it even?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd--> No, but we'll give them 1 high level prospect (Vitters) and 4 other middle to low level prospects that BTW aren't even ours necessarily.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->I think you are being unfair here BZ. Hill and Choi obviously weren't as good as the guys they were being traded for, and obviously money had something to do with it, but the fact is, opposing teams thought highly enough of those guys that they thought the deals were fair.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Why'd you call me Bz? I think the bigger reason these teams made these deals is sure they got some prospects, and sure they *might* turn out decent, but they got to shed the money that they needed to. It's like they got the prospects as a bonus, the same way the Padres would get "bonus" prospects for Peavy along with them shedding the salary they needed so desperately to shed.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Our farm system isn't good because Hendry was able to swing these deals. Our farm system is good because it's produced a number of major league ready players the last few years AND it helped Hendry swing those deals. It's cumulative<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Major league ready doesn't make our system good, it makes it serviceable.

"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=12722:date=Jan 21 2009, 06:25 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Jan 21 2009, 06:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Pie got 83 at bats last year. I hardly think that qualifies as getting a year to put up or shut up.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

... and only 63 at bats before he was demoted in May.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->No, but we'll give them 1 high level prospect (Vitters) and 4 other middle to low level prospects that BTW aren't even ours necessarily.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not sure what you are getting at here, but it would seem to me if we are able to trade for Peavy by giving up prospect, that just further proves that our system isn't bad.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Why'd you call me Bz?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because

A: I'm an idiot
B: I was too lazy to actually scroll up the page to look to see who I was responding to.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->It's like they got the prospects as a bonus, the same way the Padres would get "bonus" prospects for Peavy along with them shedding the salary they needed so desperately to shed.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But that CLEARLY isn't the case, if you believe Hendry. He essentially said the Padres were asking for too much prospect wise, and that is why the deal was called off in December. The prospects weren't a "bonus", but payment for trading Peavy.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Major league ready doesn't make our system good, it makes it serviceable<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Serviceable compared to what? How many teams do you think are able to push out as many prospects as the Cubs have in the last 6 or 7 years? Certainly there are teams that have done better, but there are quite a few that have done much worse. Especially if you include the fact that the Cubs almost NEVER dump high salaried guys for impact prospects. Yes, the Marlins have developed quite a few more prospects than the Cubs, but a vast majority of them have come from other teams in dump trades.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=12736:date=Jan 21 2009, 08:45 AM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Jan 21 2009, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Random thoughts

-Brock, the idea that a system which has recently produced Zambrano, Gallagher, Nolasco, Marshall, Soto, Theriot, and for that matter, Juan Cruz, Weurtz, Ohman, plus the pieces to get Lee, Pierre and Ramirez, factoring in injuries to guys like Prior, Brownlie etc, in addition to whomever I am forgetting, is some sort of train wreck, is ludicrous. I'm not sure how many guys you think a farm system should be churning out every year, but the Cubs are doing well. Are they as good as the Braves were in their heyday? No, but they are in the upper half.

-Pie is 23 years old. Ryan Howard was in A ball when he was 23. Jack Cust hit .169 when he was 23, and wouldn't be a full time player for another FIVE years. I have no idea if he will ever turn out to be anything, and the odds are against him being a superstar but the idea that we can write him off now as a failed prospect is just silly.

-The fact that Corey Patterson failed as a Cubs prospect has NO bearing on what future Cub prospects will do. Therefore every Cub prospect who doesn't light the world on fire the moment he gets to the majors should not be automatically compared to Corey Patterson. Just as anyone before 2001 shouldn't have been compared to Gary Scott. Prospects flame out all the time.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The pitching side of our system has admittedly approved the past few seasons, but what about position players? I don't see too many of those on your list and I'd ask for you to go back before Soto and give me some names if I thought such a task was possible.

Regarding Pie, I'm not writing him off completely and calling him a failed prospect overall, just a failure as a Cub, and since we didn't get anything for him (barring a Peavy deal including Olson - why San Diego would want him is puzzling to me) a failure of Hendry and the organization.