Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cubs trade Pie
Hendry did all he could. Clapp nailed it, we gave Pie 1 year to put up or shut up, and he couldn't do it, especially have all that work they tried with him.
Blaming Hendry? There's no way you can blame him. If you're going to blame him, you might as well blame Fleita and the scouting directors in the Dominican for finding him in the first place.
Hendry put all the confidence in Pie and he choked. Then, like a good GM does, he made the signing of the year and picked up some "scraps" in Jim Edmonds.
Jim Hendry pulled off this deal to swing Peavy, and when it happens suddenly everyone will re-canonize Hendry. Unbelievable that he's getting flack for this.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
Pie got 83 at bats last year. I hardly think that qualifies as getting a year to put up or shut up.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=12722:date=Jan 21 2009, 07:25 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Jan 21 2009, 07:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Pie got 83 at bats last year. I hardly think that qualifies as getting a year to put up or shut up.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just hold your tongue Ace. Any Pie defense will get you on the chopping block.
<!--quoteo(post=12722:date=Jan 21 2009, 06:25 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Jan 21 2009, 06:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Pie got 83 at bats last year. I hardly think that qualifies as getting a year to put up or shut up.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah, Pie was never given a chance to do anything and was never put in a position to succeed.
heres my only complaint about trading pie: last year we could have included him in a trade for roberts, and this year we traded him for a guy with an era close to 7. we should have traded him last year when he still had some worth. if it lands us peavy, then i'm all good.

but really, does anyone here really think he's gonna be any good in baltimore?
Wang.
Brock...sure, the system hasn't really produced any all-stars aside from Soto. However, other teams have thought pretty highly of our minor league system to agree to trade players like Lee, Harden, and Ramirez. Yeah, we haven't produced anyone aside from Soto, but somehow Hendry still gets these teams to believe they are getting young players who will produce at a ML level while we get players that do great for us. Now, if we don't get Peavy this trade is a little different. However, we still had to get something for Pie. Even if we don't make a move to get Peavy now, there is nothing saying we won't get him midseason and I honestly believe that is the reason we are stockpiling all these arms in trades.
Random thoughts

-Brock, the idea that a system which has recently produced Zambrano, Gallagher, Nolasco, Marshall, Soto, Theriot, and for that matter, Juan Cruz, Weurtz, Ohman, plus the pieces to get Lee, Pierre and Ramirez, factoring in injuries to guys like Prior, Brownlie etc, in addition to whomever I am forgetting, is some sort of train wreck, is ludicrous. I'm not sure how many guys you think a farm system should be churning out every year, but the Cubs are doing well. Are they as good as the Braves were in their heyday? No, but they are in the upper half.

-Pie is 23 years old. Ryan Howard was in A ball when he was 23. Jack Cust hit .169 when he was 23, and wouldn't be a full time player for another FIVE years. I have no idea if he will ever turn out to be anything, and the odds are against him being a superstar but the idea that we can write him off now as a failed prospect is just silly.

-The fact that Corey Patterson failed as a Cubs prospect has NO bearing on what future Cub prospects will do. Therefore every Cub prospect who doesn't light the world on fire the moment he gets to the majors should not be automatically compared to Corey Patterson. Just as anyone before 2001 shouldn't have been compared to Gary Scott. Prospects flame out all the time.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
I think Butcher is a big, fat fuck.

Haven't said it in a while.
<!--quoteo(post=12736:date=Jan 21 2009, 08:45 AM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Jan 21 2009, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Random thoughts

-Brock, the idea that a system which has recently produced Zambrano, Gallagher, Nolasco, Marshall, Soto, Theriot, and for that matter, Juan Cruz, Weurtz, Ohman, plus the pieces to get Lee, Pierre and Ramirez, factoring in injuries to guys like Prior, Brownlie etc, in addition to whomever I am forgetting, is some sort of train wreck, is ludicrous. I'm not sure how many guys you think a farm system should be churning out every year, but the Cubs are doing well. Are they as good as the Braves were in their heyday? No, but they are in the upper half.

-Pie is 23 years old. Ryan Howard was in A ball when he was 23. Jack Cust hit .169 when he was 23, and wouldn't be a full time player for another FIVE years. I have no idea if he will ever turn out to be anything, and the odds are against him being a superstar but the idea that we can write him off now as a failed prospect is just silly.

-The fact that Corey Patterson failed as a Cubs prospect has NO bearing on what future Cub prospects will do. Therefore every Cub prospect who doesn't light the world on fire the moment he gets to the majors should not be automatically compared to Corey Patterson. Just as anyone before 2001 shouldn't have been compared to Gary Scott. Prospects flame out all the time.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Damn, BT, you've been really laying out some good ones lately. In fact, the Cubs really have had some sparklers coming from the farm recently, and no team gets it right all the time.

One question no one has answered: why did we choose Gathright over Pie?
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->One question no one has answered: why did we choose Gathright over Pie?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Becuase Gathright only cost $800K and Pie netted us two pitchers to trade for Peavy.
kerry wood is a product of the cubs system as well.
Wang.
Also, I don't think Pie would have netted us Roberts last season. It seemed as though MacPhail was holding us up for 4-5 players, and I'm glad we didn't give him what he wanted at the time.
<!--quoteo(post=12757:date=Jan 21 2009, 08:53 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jan 21 2009, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Also, I don't think Pie would have netted us Roberts last season. It seemed as though MacPhail was holding us up for 4-5 players, and I'm glad we didn't give him what he wanted at the time.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It wouldn't have mattered considering that Angelos wasn't going to let MacFail trade Roberts anyways.
<!--quoteo(post=12757:date=Jan 21 2009, 08:53 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jan 21 2009, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Also, I don't think Pie would have netted us Roberts last season. It seemed as though MacPhail was holding us up for 4-5 players, and I'm glad we didn't give him what he wanted at the time.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep, Lou in not so many words pretty much said Marshall and Fontenot were in the deal last year when he was talking about how "sometimes the best deal is one you don't make." It was a whole lot more than Pie.
<!--quoteo(post=12733:date=Jan 21 2009, 08:33 AM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ Jan 21 2009, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Brock...sure, the system hasn't really produced any all-stars aside from Soto. However, other teams have thought pretty highly of our minor league system to agree to trade players like Lee, Harden, and Ramirez. Yeah, we haven't produced anyone aside from Soto, but somehow Hendry still gets these teams to believe they are getting young players who will produce at a ML level while we get players that do great for us. Now, if we don't get Peavy this trade is a little different. However, we still had to get something for Pie. Even if we don't make a move to get Peavy now, there is nothing saying we won't get him midseason and I honestly believe that is the reason we are stockpiling all these arms in trades.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Great point Runnys. This is actually something both Chicago GMs do well. Both GMs have been able to find players of value for prospects. And in most cases, trading the prospects didn't come back to huirt either club. They may not develop a ton of position players who impact the team, but they do a sufficient job. What we haven't had in a long time is a STAR come from the system. And that's what we are feeling - on both sides of town. Soto is the first position player in a long time coming from either team who really had impact right away.

That being said, both teams also have a very highly regarded IF who could really help in a few years. (Vitters and Beckham) It wouldn't surprise me, however, if neither of those guys make it to Chicago, and get shipped out for guys who will impact the major league club.

Another common thread is that fans tend to bitch alot - despite pretty positive results. From viewing Sox or Cubs message boards, you'd have a hard time guessing that the Cubs won 97 games and the Sox also made the playoffs.

I think as fans we need to live in the moment and enjoy it a bit more.

Life is short boys and girls...how many times will we see BOTH teams in the playoffs at the same time? Enjoy it!