Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cubs trade Pie
<!--quoteo(post=12506:date=Jan 20 2009, 09:44 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jan 20 2009, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12485:date=Jan 20 2009, 12:49 AM:name=PcB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PcB @ Jan 20 2009, 12:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I really don't see any way Hendry doesn't trade for Peavy before spring training. It's gonna happen.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Here are two ways that it might not happen:

- The new owner(s) could block the trade.
- The Padres might not like our offer.

That said, all signs seem to be pointing towards this happening.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was thinking about that today and I really don't see the new owner blocking the deal. They can either ingratiate themselves immediately to the fanbase, or be instantly hated. They almost have to approve it.
<!--quoteo(post=12510:date=Jan 20 2009, 10:06 AM:name=sleepyhead)-->QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Jan 20 2009, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12506:date=Jan 20 2009, 09:44 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jan 20 2009, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12485:date=Jan 20 2009, 12:49 AM:name=PcB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PcB @ Jan 20 2009, 12:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I really don't see any way Hendry doesn't trade for Peavy before spring training. It's gonna happen.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was thinking about that today and I really don't see the new owner blocking the deal. They can either ingratiate themselves immediately to the fanbase, or be instantly hated. They almost have to approve it.
They wouldn't be hated -- not in this economy. I think most fans would understand not adding a ton of salary at this time and the new ownership could easily use it as an excuse.
<!--quoteo(post=12511:date=Jan 20 2009, 10:09 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jan 20 2009, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12510:date=Jan 20 2009, 10:06 AM:name=sleepyhead)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Jan 20 2009, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12506:date=Jan 20 2009, 09:44 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jan 20 2009, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12485:date=Jan 20 2009, 12:49 AM:name=PcB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PcB @ Jan 20 2009, 12:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I really don't see any way Hendry doesn't trade for Peavy before spring training. It's gonna happen.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They wouldn't be hated -- not in this economy. I think most fans would understand not adding a ton of salary at this time and the new ownership could easily use it as an excuse.

I don't think you buy the Cubs and then bitch about the economy
<!--quoteo(post=12512:date=Jan 20 2009, 10:20 AM:name=sleepyhead)-->QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Jan 20 2009, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12511:date=Jan 20 2009, 10:09 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jan 20 2009, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12510:date=Jan 20 2009, 10:06 AM:name=sleepyhead)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Jan 20 2009, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12506:date=Jan 20 2009, 09:44 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jan 20 2009, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12485:date=Jan 20 2009, 12:49 AM:name=PcB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PcB @ Jan 20 2009, 12:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I really don't see any way Hendry doesn't trade for Peavy before spring training. It's gonna happen.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think you buy the Cubs and then bitch about the economy
I hope you're right -- and you probably are. All I'm saying is that it could easily go the other way.
poor economy or not, the cubs make money. cub fans would bitch. i know i would. if we were the royals or the pirates, then i could understand fiscal responsibility, but not the cubs. not ever.
Wang.
I am so happy that we never have to hear about Pie again! I am dissapointed though I never did get that picture of him and Rocky Cherry standing next to each other.

<!--quoteo(post=12485:date=Jan 20 2009, 12:49 AM:name=PcB)-->QUOTE (PcB @ Jan 20 2009, 12:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's gonna happen.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Stop it! If I never hear that phrase again in my lifetime, it will be too soon.
<!--quoteo(post=12553:date=Jan 20 2009, 12:35 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Jan 20 2009, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->poor economy or not, the cubs make money. cub fans would bitch. i know i would. if we were the royals or the pirates, then i could understand fiscal responsibility, but not the cubs. not ever.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly. If you can afford hundreds and hundreds of millions (maybe even a billion) to buy the team, knowing that you will still make money, you can't turn around and claim you can't afford Peavy.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The San Diego Padres say the Cubs haven't contacted them since the winter meetings, but Jake Peavy's agent says he has noticed what the Cubs have been up to:

In trading outfielder Felix Pie to the Baltimore Orioles on Sunday, the Cubs acquired two more inexpensive arms, including one piece the Padres covet: left-handed pitcher Garrett Olson. If the script is not yet complete, the stage appears to be set.

"Obviously, we took note of the trade that took place (Sunday)," (Barry) Axelrod said Monday, en route to an appointment with Peavy. "You would certainly not be out of line to surmise from all of (the Cubs' moves) that they might be working toward something. But I haven't heard a word that anything is different."

The Padres aren't so sure:

"I think too much is being made of the Chicago/Baltimore trade as it might relate to us," Padres CEO Sandy Alderson said Monday. "Chicago had a crowded outfield, probably needed to move Pie, had limited interest in him among other clubs and knew what Baltimore would give up from the earlier discussions with us."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Sun-Times mentioned a possible pitching-heavy 5-for-1 trade on Sunday. Lee Hamilton stated much of the same on XM Radio Monday night. Hamilton's sources indicated the Cubs are back in the Peavy Derby and it would be a pitching-heavy deal, possibly four or five going to San Diego for Peavy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link.
Damn it, I'm starting to get excited again.
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=12652:date=Jan 20 2009, 07:07 PM:name=PcB)-->QUOTE (PcB @ Jan 20 2009, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Damn it, I'm starting to get excited again.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I know...isn't it hell?

I hope this ends differently than last years saga.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

We'll get him. We're still getting swept though.
@TheBlogfines
Back to Pie...

I'm surprised the Cubs would go with Gaithright over Pie. Can someone explain to me what Joey G brings to the table that Pie doesn't have the potential to do? Neither are great hitters - both are fast. Neither gets great reads, both cover ground. Neither have much power, both can hit the gap.

After investing so much in developing Pie, I'm surprised they gave up on him now - even moreso that they did it and put Joey G in his spot.
<!--quoteo(post=12683:date=Jan 20 2009, 07:35 PM:name=cherp)-->QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 20 2009, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Back to Pie...

I'm surprised the Cubs would go with Gaithright over Pie. Can someone explain to me what Joey G brings to the table that Pie doesn't have the potential to do? Neither are great hitters - both are fast. Neither gets great reads, both cover ground. Neither have much power, both can hit the gap.

After investing so much in developing Pie, I'm surprised they gave up on him now - even moreso that they did it and put Joey G in his spot.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He's not geoing to develop sitting on the bench which is what he would've done as the 3rd centerfielder. There's no way he's going to improve that way, and you wouldn't even get a Garrett Olson/Henry Williamson package in return next year. The only use Pie would've had for this team is speed, and Gathright has probably even more of that.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=12683:date=Jan 20 2009, 08:35 PM:name=cherp)-->QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 20 2009, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Back to Pie...

After investing so much in developing Pie, I'm surprised they gave up on him now - even moreso that they did it and put Joey G in his spot.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Stop pretending like you give a shit.