Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stephen Strasburg
<!--quoteo(post=25166:date=Mar 26 2009, 10:59 AM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ Mar 26 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I know it's a few years ago, but Mark Prior, the last "sure thing" pitcher, signed a 5 year - $10.5 mil contract with a $4 mil signing bonus. Granted that was in 2002, but has anyone's worth straight out of college really risen 500% in 7 years?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I doubt it and I doubt $50 M is ever achieved, but it wouldn't shock me he got a deal double what Samardzjia got. I think $30 M is legitimately in play.
11 mil is the most guaranteed money for a draft pick ever. So 30 mil would shatter that by almost 300%

The only reason Shark got as much as he did was to make him quit football.
<!--quoteo(post=25144:date=Mar 26 2009, 10:30 AM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Mar 26 2009, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=25139:date=Mar 26 2009, 08:42 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Mar 26 2009, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Some recent notable signing bonuses.

Joe Mauer: 5.7 mill
David Price: 8.5 mill
Matt Wieters: 6 mill

Strasburg is NOT going to get 50 mill. I bet my left calf on it.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Dude, they're not talking about a $50 M signing bonus, they're talking about a $50 M contract. Jeff Samardzija got a $10 M deal with option years that could take it $16.5 M and he was taken in the 5th round.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I never said 50 mill signing bonus, I said he won't get 50 mill. I used the signing bonuses of those guys to put into perspective how much money they got since they didn't get contracts like Samardzija did, they just got signing bonuses.

Oh, and don't act like Samardzija was supposed to be a 5th round pick. The only reason he wasn't a 1st round pick is because teams knew they would have to do something unorthodox like the Cubs did, and even that was no guarantee.
i would like to enter the calf-off. i'm not saying i'd win, but i'd be in the conversation.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=25185:date=Mar 26 2009, 12:39 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Mar 26 2009, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->i would like to enter the calf-off. i'm not saying i'd win, but i'd be in the conversation.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Done
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
<!--quoteo(post=25203:date=Mar 26 2009, 01:13 PM:name=Jody)-->QUOTE (Jody @ Mar 26 2009, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=25185:date=Mar 26 2009, 12:39 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Mar 26 2009, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->i would like to enter the calf-off. i'm not saying i'd win, but i'd be in the conversation.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Done

sweet. i'm gonna oil em up right now.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=25133:date=Mar 26 2009, 07:01 AM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Mar 26 2009, 07:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=25100:date=Mar 25 2009, 11:31 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Mar 25 2009, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=25068:date=Mar 25 2009, 08:24 PM:name=stevestonescigar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ Mar 25 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=25042:date=Mar 25 2009, 07:27 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Mar 25 2009, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=25037:date=Mar 25 2009, 06:23 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Mar 25 2009, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->A 100 mph speed arm rarely ever prevails for the long term. Other than Randy Johnson, Bob Feller and Nolan Ryan, who has succeeded really?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He doesn't have to continue throwing at 100 mph and he'll learn that. I bet he'll pitch at 96-97, just like Tim Lincecum and Felix Hernandez for example are doing quite well. If you strike out with him, well there's an excellent chance that would've been the same case for whoever else you would've drafted as well. If not, you have an extraordinary talent. That's a gamble I'd take in a heartbeat.

Not for that kind of money. There are so many more examples that show this kid is not going to last vs him turning into a Lincecum or Hernandez.
I wouldn't give him that rumored contract, but if he'd take a reasonable deal, I'm taking him #1. No doubt about it.
Then we're not talking about the same thing. With Boras as his agent, "a reasonable deal" ain't happening.
A "reasonable" deal will be anything under 20 million which is very possible. I'd be beyond shocked if he got anywhere close to that rumored deal, unless it's the Yankees.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Nationals will draft blue-chip pitching prospect Stephen Strasburg, according to former GM Jim Bowden.
"Washington is going to draft Strasburg. The decision has already been made. It was made when I was there," Bowden, who resigned from the post in early March, told ESPN 710 in a radio interview. While it isn't surprising given the San Diego State product's 100 mph arm. However, Strasburg and his agent are reportedly demanding a $50 million contract, which is about $40 million more than Mark Prior's rookie record contract in 2001. It's curious why Bowden would give away this information, should it be true. One thing is for sure - the Nationals could use help just about everywhere at this point.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Bowden may be an idiot, but I don't think anyone is gonna be too shocked that the Nats would pick Strasburg 1st. He's the <i>only</i> choice. He'd be the top pick in any year since '93 (when A-Rod was a mind-blowing HS kid), but this year especially, there is a big drop-off to the #2 pick. In fact, nobody is really sure who the 2nd best player in this year's draft even <i>is</i>, but everyone agrees that that player isn't in the same universe as Strasburg.

Again, it's a freaking perfect storm for the loathsome Boras; Strasburg is the perfect prospect, the Nats suck ass <i>completely</i> and despereately need talent, and they're perceived as being cheap, since they failed to sign their #1 pick <i>last</i> year. (Crow)

It'll be ugly, for sure. I'd say he gets $20 Mil, minimum.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance