Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soriano
<!--quoteo(post=25046:date=Mar 25 2009, 07:44 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Mar 25 2009, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The biggest factor for me that might cause Soto to regress a bit is Blanco being gone. I think he'll hit .270/.340 with 20 hr and about 60-70 rbi. His defense may take a small step back though, but he's the least of my worries.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that would actually be pretty good. i could live with that.
Wang.
I still don't get why we didn't resign hank
<!--quoteo(post=25215:date=Mar 26 2009, 03:07 PM:name=phan)-->QUOTE (phan @ Mar 26 2009, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I still don't get why we didn't resign hank<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Because he was right-handed. It sounds preposterous, but that's the Jim/Lou braintrust at work. (I don't even mind the scuttling of Hank as much as I dislike the concomitant signing of Bako)
Soto is a tough dude...I think he'll be fine, although most ROTY's do regress a bit.

Soriano actually worries me more. While I don't think he's <i>brittle</i>, injuries do happen a lot more to guys in their 30's than they do to guys in their 20's. Tom's hope that he'll put up 40/40 National's-type numbers are a pipe dream, I'm afraid.
Still, he'll be one of the better LFers in MLB, and even if he just puts up average (for him) numbers, I think we'll be fine.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=25046:date=Mar 25 2009, 06:44 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Mar 25 2009, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The biggest factor for me that might cause Soto to regress a bit is Blanco being gone. I think he'll hit .270/.340 with 20 hr and about 60-70 rbi. His defense may take a small step back though, but he's the least of my worries.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't remember if I saw it on the Trib or the Sun-Times, but they polled the Cubs players and the player they chose as the most likely to be a Major League Manager some day was the Bako, for whatever that's worth.
<!--quoteo(post=25218:date=Mar 26 2009, 03:36 PM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Mar 26 2009, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=25046:date=Mar 25 2009, 06:44 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Mar 25 2009, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The biggest factor for me that might cause Soto to regress a bit is Blanco being gone. I think he'll hit .270/.340 with 20 hr and about 60-70 rbi. His defense may take a small step back though, but he's the least of my worries.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I don't remember if I saw it on the Trib or the Sun-Times, but they polled the Cubs players and the player they chose as the most likely to be a Major League Manager some day was the Bako, for whatever that's worth.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Ctachers, in general, far outnumber any other position as a training ground for managing, and you can see why. Plus, Bako is well-liked, conscientious, and can't hit at all...3 other factors that seem to make great managers.

However, I want Ryno to succeed Louby.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
As if we needed further evidence that batting Alf at leadoff is an asinine idea:

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec--><b>How often does a leadoff man
come up with no one on base?</b>

How often does a leadoff man come up with no one on base? 67% of the time. Or conversely, 33% of the time with at least one man on base. Overall, MLB hitters come up with at least one man on base about 45% of the time. Here's the breakdown by lineup position:

Left column: Batting Order Slot
Right column: Percentage of Time At Least One Man on Base
1- 33%
2- 43
3- 48
4- 50
5- 48
6- 46
7- 46
8- 46
9- 45<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The article goes on to say that Hanley Ramirez came up to bat 400 times last year with the bases empty. Pretty poor use of a power hitter, eh?
But he's proven he doesn't perform as well in the middle of the order. Leave him where he's going to perform best and where he obviously wants to be. The last thing we want is him losing his confidence when we're going to be paying him 114 million bucks over the next 6 years. We also did quite well with him leading off last season.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=25321:date=Mar 26 2009, 11:58 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Mar 26 2009, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->As if we needed further evidence that batting Alf at leadoff is an asinine idea:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec--><b>How often does a leadoff man

How often does a leadoff man come up with no one on base? 67% of the time. Or conversely, 33% of the time with at least one man on base. Overall, MLB hitters come up with at least one man on base about 45% of the time. Here's the breakdown by lineup position:

1- 33%
2- 43
3- 48
4- 50
5- 48
6- 46
7- 46
8- 46

The article goes on to say that Hanley Ramirez came up to bat 400 times last year with the bases empty. Pretty poor use of a power hitter, eh?
Those percentages are also skewed, the Cubs get alot more production out of 7, 8, 9 than most other teams. I'd be shocked if the Cubs leadoff hitter didn't come to bat with someone on base at a clip of 40% or higher.
<!--quoteo(post=25339:date=Mar 27 2009, 08:52 AM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Mar 27 2009, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=25321:date=Mar 26 2009, 11:58 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Mar 26 2009, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->As if we needed further evidence that batting Alf at leadoff is an asinine idea:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec--><b>How often does a leadoff man

1- 33%
2- 43
3- 48
4- 50
5- 48
6- 46
7- 46
8- 46

Those percentages are also skewed, the Cubs get alot more production out of 7, 8, 9 than most other teams. I'd be shocked if the Cubs leadoff hitter didn't come to bat with someone on base at a clip of 40% or higher.
39.6% of Soriano's total plate appearances last year (199/503) came with runners on base.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
I wonder if KB would have the same argument if Ricky were on the Cubs during his prime?
I got nothin'.

Andy
It's not much of a sample size, but as a Cub, Soriano is hitting .128 (6/47) out of the leadoff spot.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
<!--quoteo(post=25349:date=Mar 27 2009, 08:40 AM:name=Kid)-->QUOTE (Kid @ Mar 27 2009, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's not much of a sample size, but as a Cub, Soriano is hitting .128 (6/47) out of the leadoff spot.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Those numbers don't seem right. How can he only have 47 at bats in the leadoff spot as a Cub?
<!--quoteo(post=25352:date=Mar 27 2009, 10:05 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Mar 27 2009, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=25349:date=Mar 27 2009, 08:40 AM:name=Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid @ Mar 27 2009, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's not much of a sample size, but as a Cub, Soriano is hitting .128 (6/47) out of the leadoff spot.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Those numbers don't seem right. How can he only have 47 at bats in the leadoff spot as a Cub?
That was poor wording by me. Out of the leadoff spot = not in the leadoff spot.
<!--quoteo(post=25353:date=Mar 27 2009, 09:07 AM:name=Kid)-->QUOTE (Kid @ Mar 27 2009, 09:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=25352:date=Mar 27 2009, 10:05 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Mar 27 2009, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=25349:date=Mar 27 2009, 08:40 AM:name=Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid @ Mar 27 2009, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's not much of a sample size, but as a Cub, Soriano is hitting .128 (6/47) out of the leadoff spot.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That was poor wording by me. Out of the leadoff spot = not in the leadoff spot.
Ah. Got it.
and thats what we've always known. its funny to me that we still talk about moving soriano down when its clear thats never gonna happen. soriano hits better from the leadoff spot just sandberg used to hit better out of the second spot. its comfort thing. if the lineup was weak, i'd be more in favor of soriano batting down in the order, but with the way this lineup is constituted, we can not only live with soriano in the #1 hole, but we can have success with him there.
Wang.