Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Injury Log on the Big 3
<!--quoteo(post=37172:date=May 11 2009, 03:50 PM:name=dk123)-->QUOTE (dk123 @ May 11 2009, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think that for a RH batter the left shoulder is more important for power. I think of the right arm as stabilizing the swing more than generating power.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bingo
<!--quoteo(post=37170:date=May 11 2009, 01:12 AM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ May 11 2009, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=36797:date=May 9 2009, 04:17 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ May 9 2009, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It just seems to me when I swing a bat, when it comes to power - of which, I have admittedly little - I rely on my right shoulder much more than my left (I bat righty). Again, that's just in terms of power.

This is just an academic discussion, of course, because obviously he can't come back until it's all healed up whichever shoulder it is. I just think it's interesting.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ace...look at it this way. If you were standing face to face with someone, do you think you would be able to hit them harder by backhanding them with your left hand or slapping them with your right? Stand up and just do the motion, you can clearly tell that you produce more power with the left arm.

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Seriously? Maybe I'm an idiot, because I feel like I could produce way more with my right shoulder.

The level of consensus has me convinced that my guess is wrong, but I just can't see/feel it.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
In the grand scheme of things, your shoulders aren't creating much power at all. The real power from a swing comes from the weight shift of your legs, your forearms, and the snap of the bat that comes from turning your wrists over. Of course your shoulders are crucial to stabilizing your swing, but they're not really the source of your power.
So, since we're without Aram for a while, what about going after Brandon Wood to fill in at 3B? The Angels optioned him back to AAA last week after he got 10 whole plate appearances. They really don't have much of a spot for him, and I wonder if they'd have any interest in a guy like Jake Fox that could DH for them? Though I think I heard somewhere that Fox was recently injured.
<!--quoteo(post=37299:date=May 11 2009, 07:41 PM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ May 11 2009, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->So, since we're without Aram for a while, what about going after Brandon Wood to fill in at 3B? The Angels optioned him back to AAA last week after he got 10 whole plate appearances. They really don't have much of a spot for him, and I wonder if they'd have any interest in a guy like Jake Fox that could DH for them?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
But then what do you do when Aramis comes back? Aramis isn't going anywhere for awhile. I'd lean more towards a veteran hitter if we really want to acquire one, which I wouldn't look to do just yet. If we're struggling to score runs in a couple weeks, maybe. It doesn't appear we're losing anything defensively though with how Fontenot's looked there.

Anyway, I'm a major Brandon fan now of course so I wouldn't complain one bit if he became a Cub, I just don't know if the team should be looking to do that.
@TheBlogfines
Vitters for DeRosa, straight up.
<!--quoteo(post=37304:date=May 11 2009, 08:18 PM:name=FlyAtTheThigh)-->QUOTE (FlyAtTheThigh @ May 11 2009, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Vitters for DeRosa, straight up.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=37301:date=May 11 2009, 09:50 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ May 11 2009, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=37299:date=May 11 2009, 07:41 PM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ May 11 2009, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->So, since we're without Aram for a while, what about going after Brandon Wood to fill in at 3B? The Angels optioned him back to AAA last week after he got 10 whole plate appearances. They really don't have much of a spot for him, and I wonder if they'd have any interest in a guy like Jake Fox that could DH for them?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
But then what do you do when Aramis comes back? Aramis isn't going anywhere for awhile. I'd lean more towards a veteran hitter if we really want to acquire one, which I wouldn't look to do just yet. If we're struggling to score runs in a couple weeks, maybe. It doesn't appear we're losing anything defensively though with how Fontenot's looked there.

Anyway, I'm a major Brandon fan now of course so I wouldn't complain one bit if he became a Cub, I just don't know if the team should be looking to do that.

Ideally we could find a vet signed through this year who can play somewhere, anywhere, other than 3B in addition to 3B so that he doesn't become obsolete when A-marmis comes back.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=37306:date=May 11 2009, 08:19 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ May 11 2009, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=37301:date=May 11 2009, 09:50 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ May 11 2009, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=37299:date=May 11 2009, 07:41 PM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ May 11 2009, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->So, since we're without Aram for a while, what about going after Brandon Wood to fill in at 3B? The Angels optioned him back to AAA last week after he got 10 whole plate appearances. They really don't have much of a spot for him, and I wonder if they'd have any interest in a guy like Jake Fox that could DH for them?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ideally we could find a vet signed through this year who can play somewhere, anywhere, other than 3B in addition to 3B so that he doesn't become obsolete when A-marmis comes back.
Right.
@TheBlogfines
Ruby is absolutely correct, by the way. If he was able to throw he would be able to play sooner, but the throwing is what till keep him out longer than anything.
"If you throw at someone's head, it's very dangerous, because in the head is the brain." -- Pudge Rodriguez to AM 1270 WXYT in Detroit
<!--quoteo(post=37320:date=May 11 2009, 10:40 PM:name=CFOrfan)-->QUOTE (CFOrfan @ May 11 2009, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Ruby is absolutely correct, by the way. If he was able to throw he would be able to play sooner, but the throwing is what till keep him out longer than anything.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How would his left shoulder affect his throwing?
<!--quoteo(post=37322:date=May 11 2009, 10:48 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ May 11 2009, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=37320:date=May 11 2009, 10:40 PM:name=CFOrfan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CFOrfan @ May 11 2009, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Ruby is absolutely correct, by the way. If he was able to throw he would be able to play sooner, but the throwing is what till keep him out longer than anything.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How would his left shoulder affect his throwing?
Yeah good call. I kept thinking he hurt his right for some reason. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
"If you throw at someone's head, it's very dangerous, because in the head is the brain." -- Pudge Rodriguez to AM 1270 WXYT in Detroit
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Since being optioned to Triple-A, Brandon Wood has been playing shortstop.
It's too early to figure out what the Angels' motivation in putting Wood at shortstop is. It could be to make Wood more appealing trade bait, it could be to supplant Erick Aybar, it could mean nothing. Still, it's a situation that might give light to what the Angels plan to do after the year when they clear $49 million pre-arbitration but have five big holes to fill.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, we could use someone that could play SS too.
Lee's back tonight, Z's doing better and will have a rehab start this weekend in Single-A.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=37178:date=May 11 2009, 06:20 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ May 11 2009, 06:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=37170:date=May 11 2009, 01:12 AM:name=Runnys)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runnys @ May 11 2009, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=36797:date=May 9 2009, 04:17 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ May 9 2009, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It just seems to me when I swing a bat, when it comes to power - of which, I have admittedly little - I rely on my right shoulder much more than my left (I bat righty). Again, that's just in terms of power.

This is just an academic discussion, of course, because obviously he can't come back until it's all healed up whichever shoulder it is. I just think it's interesting.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ace...look at it this way. If you were standing face to face with someone, do you think you would be able to hit them harder by backhanding them with your left hand or slapping them with your right? Stand up and just do the motion, you can clearly tell that you produce more power with the left arm.

Seriously? Maybe I'm an idiot, because I feel like I could produce way more with my right shoulder.

The level of consensus has me convinced that my guess is wrong, but I just can't see/feel it.

I think Ruby is pretty much correct, in that the shoulders are not that crucial to power. However, just for the sake of discussion, think about how much your right shoulder actually moves over the course of taking a swing. Unless you are doing some weird Craig Counsell thing, the range of motion for the right shoulder for a RH batter is not that huge, and there is not that much speed generated in that shoulder and there isnt that much follow through. If anything, the elbow/triceps extension in the right arm seems more important to me. All that said, pain/discomfort in one part of the body, even if it's not the most important part, can cause problems, since everything needs to work together.