Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Injury Log on the Big 3
<!--quoteo(post=35413:date=May 4 2009, 03:45 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ May 4 2009, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35412:date=May 4 2009, 03:43 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ May 4 2009, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35409:date=May 4 2009, 03:41 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ May 4 2009, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35407:date=May 4 2009, 03:38 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ May 4 2009, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35404:date=May 4 2009, 03:35 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ May 4 2009, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35394:date=May 4 2009, 03:23 PM:name=PcB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PcB @ May 4 2009, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35392:date=May 4 2009, 03:17 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ May 4 2009, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35354:date=May 4 2009, 01:17 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ May 4 2009, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35337:date=May 4 2009, 01:02 PM:name=leonardsipes)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (leonardsipes @ May 4 2009, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Trading DeReso in order to give the starting 2bman job to Fontenot, save 2.5 mil is a defensible move. Until you sign a guy that you have to assume will miss 50+ games.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Here's a statement I can support.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep.

And the argument that somehow DeRosa wouldn't be happy if he and Fontenot both stayed is pretty ridiculous. There would have been plenty of at bats to go around, just like there were last season for the two of them.
How was there plenty for Fontenot last year? He's almost halfway to his AB total from last year. And as we can see, he's no slouch with the bat.

Well, the point is more about this season. There would have been significantly more at bats to go around this season with Bradley in the equation.

The thing about this whole thing for me is that I really wasn't all that upset with trading DeRosa to get Fontenot more at bats, until we turned around and gave Aaron Miles $5 million to replace him. And yes, in the grand scheme of things, Miles did essentially replace DeRosa. I can't even understand that being a question.
Bingo.
No, Bradley and Miles replaced Edmonds and DeRosa.

Yep, Bradley replaced Edmonds and Miles replaced DeRosa.
No, 1 part time guy and 1 starter replaced 1 part time guy and 1 starter. Miles was not a direct replacement for DeRosa and Bradley was not a direct replacement for Edmonds. You can't look at it like 2 separate replacements, that's not how it works.

Why not?
<!--quoteo(post=35413:date=May 4 2009, 02:45 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ May 4 2009, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35412:date=May 4 2009, 03:43 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ May 4 2009, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35409:date=May 4 2009, 03:41 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ May 4 2009, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35407:date=May 4 2009, 03:38 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ May 4 2009, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35404:date=May 4 2009, 03:35 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ May 4 2009, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35394:date=May 4 2009, 03:23 PM:name=PcB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PcB @ May 4 2009, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35392:date=May 4 2009, 03:17 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ May 4 2009, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35354:date=May 4 2009, 01:17 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ May 4 2009, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35337:date=May 4 2009, 01:02 PM:name=leonardsipes)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (leonardsipes @ May 4 2009, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Trading DeReso in order to give the starting 2bman job to Fontenot, save 2.5 mil is a defensible move. Until you sign a guy that you have to assume will miss 50+ games.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep.

And the argument that somehow DeRosa wouldn't be happy if he and Fontenot both stayed is pretty ridiculous. There would have been plenty of at bats to go around, just like there were last season for the two of them.
How was there plenty for Fontenot last year? He's almost halfway to his AB total from last year. And as we can see, he's no slouch with the bat.

Well, the point is more about this season. There would have been significantly more at bats to go around this season with Bradley in the equation.

The thing about this whole thing for me is that I really wasn't all that upset with trading DeRosa to get Fontenot more at bats, until we turned around and gave Aaron Miles $5 million to replace him. And yes, in the grand scheme of things, Miles did essentially replace DeRosa. I can't even understand that being a question.
Bingo.

No, 1 part time guy and 1 starter replaced 1 part time guy and 1 starter. <b>Miles was not a direct replacement for DeRosa</b> and Bradley was not a direct replacement for Edmonds. You can't look at it like 2 separate replacements, that's not how it works.
And that's becoming more and more obvious with Fontenot at 3rd base. Miles has only played 2b and SS. He's more of Cedeno's replacement.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=35416:date=May 4 2009, 03:50 PM:name=Brock)-->QUOTE (Brock @ May 4 2009, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35413:date=May 4 2009, 03:45 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ May 4 2009, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35412:date=May 4 2009, 03:43 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ May 4 2009, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35409:date=May 4 2009, 03:41 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ May 4 2009, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35407:date=May 4 2009, 03:38 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ May 4 2009, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35404:date=May 4 2009, 03:35 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ May 4 2009, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35394:date=May 4 2009, 03:23 PM:name=PcB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PcB @ May 4 2009, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35392:date=May 4 2009, 03:17 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ May 4 2009, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35354:date=May 4 2009, 01:17 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ May 4 2009, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35337:date=May 4 2009, 01:02 PM:name=leonardsipes)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (leonardsipes @ May 4 2009, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Trading DeReso in order to give the starting 2bman job to Fontenot, save 2.5 mil is a defensible move. Until you sign a guy that you have to assume will miss 50+ games.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep.

Bingo.

No, 1 part time guy and 1 starter replaced 1 part time guy and 1 starter. Miles was not a direct replacement for DeRosa and Bradley was not a direct replacement for Edmonds. You can't look at it like 2 separate replacements, that's not how it works.

Why not?
Because a roster and a lineup aren't built one transaction at a time. There was no direct replacement there, at all, you can't look at it like that.
<!--quoteo(post=35414:date=May 4 2009, 02:49 PM:name=Brock)-->QUOTE (Brock @ May 4 2009, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35411:date=May 4 2009, 03:42 PM:name=Fella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fella @ May 4 2009, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35404:date=May 4 2009, 02:35 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ May 4 2009, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And yes, in the grand scheme of things, Miles did essentially replace DeRosa. I can't even understand that being a question.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The reason it doesn't make sense is because DeRosa got 600 PAs last year and Miles will probably only get 300 this year, if that. If Ramirez stays healthy and Fontenot keeps hitting he may end up with no more than Cedeno had last year.

His name may have replaced DeRosa's on the roster, but comparing their production makes zero sense.

I've made it very clear I thought the Dero deal was beyond moronic, I still think so and I also agreed it had nothing to do with money.

However, I think production wise, we are gonna probably end up the same, considering how many more ABs Fontenot and Hoffpauir will get this year.

Ok, how about this... Fontenot replaced DeRosa, Miles replaced Fontenot. So let's compare Miles to Fontenot then?

I think comparing Miles production this year to Fontenot/Cedeno last year is fair.

I always said I thought depth was our biggest problem going in. We made upgrades in other places though like Hoff over Ward.
<!--quoteo(post=35419:date=May 4 2009, 03:52 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ May 4 2009, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35414:date=May 4 2009, 02:49 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ May 4 2009, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35411:date=May 4 2009, 03:42 PM:name=Fella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fella @ May 4 2009, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35404:date=May 4 2009, 02:35 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ May 4 2009, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And yes, in the grand scheme of things, Miles did essentially replace DeRosa. I can't even understand that being a question.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The reason it doesn't make sense is because DeRosa got 600 PAs last year and Miles will probably only get 300 this year, if that. If Ramirez stays healthy and Fontenot keeps hitting he may end up with no more than Cedeno had last year.

His name may have replaced DeRosa's on the roster, but comparing their production makes zero sense.

I've made it very clear I thought the Dero deal was beyond moronic, I still think so and I also agreed it had nothing to do with money.

However, I think production wise, we are gonna probably end up the same, considering how many more ABs Fontenot and Hoffpauir will get this year.

Ok, how about this... Fontenot replaced DeRosa, Miles replaced Fontenot. So let's compare Miles to Fontenot then?

I think comparing Miles production this year to Fontenot/Cedeno last year is fair.

I always said I thought depth was our biggest problem going in. We made upgrades in other places though like Hoff over Ward.
Oh yeah, we clearly have 1 too few MI.
You know what's interesting about the current DeRosa discussion? Nobody is mentioning the Peavy deal. At the time, everyone assumed DeRosa was traded to get pitching prospects to include in the Peavy deal -- and that's how pretty much everyone made their peace with it.

It also seemed, at least at the time, that we could've fit Peavy's salary into our budget if the deal went through.
<!--quoteo(post=35424:date=May 4 2009, 03:21 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ May 4 2009, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->You know what's interesting about the current DeRosa discussion? Nobody is mentioning the Peavy deal. At the time, everyone assumed DeRosa was traded to get pitching prospects to include in the Peavy deal -- and that's how pretty much everyone made their peace with it.

It also seemed, at least at the time, that we could've fit Peavy's salary into our budget if the deal went through.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah that's been my biggest problem with the DeRo deal, I was ok with him going for Peavy, but instead we just plain dumped him for nothing.
I was just thinking... we've had 5 All-Stars go down with injuries for at least a few days already this year. It's not even a month into the season. That's unheard of.
@TheBlogfines
I still maintain that the only reason DeRosa was moved was to give Fontenot more ab's. After hearing DeRosa bitching to Lou about Theriot getting a start over him in is first season with the Cubs, there was no way he was going to accept being a back-up going into his contract year. Fontenot has come through the Cubs system and done everything required to get a starting spot. To have an semblance of a productive minor league system you have to give your prospects a chance in the major leagues. DeRosa will be a free agent at the end of the year, the Cubs were not going to re-sign him because of Fontenot, he was not about to take a bench spot quietly, Hendry got more in return without risking arbitration than he would have for letting DeRosa walk. So, the Cubs are more athletic in center, right, and second than they were last year, Lou can run out starting lineups that regularly are balanced left to right, there are two switch hitters on the team(three if you count Z).

Things which have happened that I am at least partially shocked about. I always thought that Bradley would ops .900 whenever he was in the lineup. I knew he would be injured, but I never expected the lack of performance while he is in the line-up. Anyone know if he has a history of slow starts? Fukudome performing at the level he has so far this year, even when he started out hot last year he never scalded the ball all over the field as he has so far this year. Lou's complete dumbfoundedness at handling the bullpen, in my mind so much of the bullpens early struggles can be firmly placed in Lou's lap. Lou, just let Larry handle the bullpen and keep your overreacting panicked ass out of the decision process. I am shocked that we have played as well as we have with the amount of injuries to the big guys that we have had. Lee has me worried more than shocked, if your neck isn't 100% why don't you be a real team leader and give Hoff some playing time and make sure when you are on the field you are able to perform at a major league level.

"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
<!--quoteo(post=35426:date=May 4 2009, 04:40 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ May 4 2009, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I was just thinking... we've had 5 All-Stars go down with injuries for at least a few days already this year. It's not even a month into the season. That's unheard of.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That we have come through that stretch with the record we have makes the bench look pretty good to me. It's not like the pitching staff has been setting the world on fire. I am more worried about the rotation than anything, but I don't see any realistic way to improve it, and I still don't think that Peavy is a guaranteed upgrade.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
<!--quoteo(post=35429:date=May 4 2009, 03:51 PM:name=savant)-->QUOTE (savant @ May 4 2009, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=35426:date=May 4 2009, 04:40 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ May 4 2009, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I was just thinking... we've had 5 All-Stars go down with injuries for at least a few days already this year. It's not even a month into the season. That's unheard of.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That we have come through that stretch with the record we have makes the bench look pretty good to me. It's not like the pitching staff has been setting the world on fire. I am more worried about the rotation than anything, but I don't see any realistic way to improve it, and I still don't think that Peavy is a guaranteed upgrade.
I'm least worried about the rotation. I think it's the best in the NL.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs plan to bring up Randy Wells to start Friday in Z's spot, Piniella says.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->"It's a Grade 2 tear in the belly of the muscle," Piniella said. "It's going to be the full two weeks.. Our medical team seems to think... when he's eligible to come off the (disabled list) he'll be able to pitch that week, whether it's the beginning of that week or the end of that week. He'll miss a couple turns."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Zambrano should be able to start on May 19 in St. Louis, when the Cubs begin a six-game road trip.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->He laid down a good bunt, it was a 2-2 ballgame. I know a lot of people say 'Why did he bunt?' Well, if he had hit a ball off the wall and hurt it trying to go into second with a double, (would they say) he should't have hit a double?

"I don't get the reasoning."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
@TheBlogfines
Wow that's only 2 weeks. If he can come back by then, we are in good shape.
I'm going to assume it will be four starts, so that I don't get my hopes up.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.