Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scales called up/play Tuesday
Scales, 31, was called up to the Major Leagues on Monday to take Carlos Zambrano's spot on the Cubs' 25-man roster after the pitcher was placed on the 15-day disabled list. Scales gives the Cubs a backup infielder; they don't need another starter until Friday, when Randy Wells is expected to be called up from Triple-A Iowa.

Scales' time with the big league team may be limited -- Tuesday's game against the Giants will be Day 2 for him -- and he's going to make the most of it.

"I'm happy he's here for a couple reasons," Cubs manager Lou Piniella said. "The biggest is because this man has endured for a long, long time in the Minor Leagues. He's getting an opportunity here after 10, 11 years. It's a really, really nice story. He's earned it. He came to camp and worked hard. He contributed."

Scales was batting .303 at Iowa with three homers and 10 RBIs in 21 games. He can play second, short, third, wherever the Cubs need him.

"Now I don't have to be looking for a pitcher to pinch-run," Piniella said.
[Image: lou.jpg]
I hope the <i>heavy</i> pressure of playing in the big leagues doesn't <i>weigh</i> too much on his mind.
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Scales finally makes big leagues
ESPN.com news services
Bobby Scales' road to the big leagues started in Idaho Falls, Idaho, in 1999, in the rookie-level Pioneer League. The road led through Fort Wayne, Ind.; Lake Elsinore, Calif.; Mobile, Ala.; Portland, Ore.; Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Pa.; Pawtucket, R.I.; and Des Moines, Iowa.

On Sunday, after 11 seasons of bus rides through the minors, Scales finally made The Show when the <b>Chicago Cubs called up the utility infielder</b> and added him to the roster, replacing injured right-hander Carlos Zambrano. He was given No. 24 and had yet to make a plate appearance entering Tuesday's games.

''It's everything you hope for when you play professional baseball,'' Scales said, according to Chicago-area media reports. ''Some of us late bloomers have to wait longer than others, but I made it.''

A native of Southfield, Mich.,<b> Scales has been making ends meet as a substitute teacher during the offseason near his home in Alpharetta, Ga.</b>, MLB.com reported. As the seasons in the minors passed, he still thought about his dream, but learned to temper his expectations.

"As you get a little older, you try not to think about it because you don't want to go there mentally and be disappointed," he said, according to MLB.com. "You think about it from time to time but you bury it in the back of your mind. Fortunately, today's here for me today, and I'm happy to be here."

Scales, 31, who signed with the Cubs as a minor league free agent in winter 2007, had his best minor league season in 2008 for the Triple-A Iowa Cubs, hitting .320 with 15 home runs, 94 runs scored, and 59 runs batted in. He was batting .303 in 21 games this season at Iowa when he finally got the call.

Scales almost had his first call-up on Thursday, when it was believed Aramis Ramirez might need to go on the disabled list. But when that didn't happen, Scales was sent back to Iowa, the Chicago Tribune reported. Scales said the team was forthright with him about the possibility that he might not be activated during that first call-up.

"I appreciate that," he said, according to the Tribune. "You wait this long for it, you don't want to be disappointed."

But Scales never lost faith that he'd make a major league roster someday. "It may sound hokey, but I knew, deep down in the depths of my soul, I could play this game," he said.

The Cubs had been making do with a short bench for weeks. But manager Lou Piniella was glad to see Scales arrive for reasons that have nothing to do with the game.

''I'm happy he's here because this young man has endured a long time in the minors,'' Piniella said, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. ''It's a real nice story. He deserves it. He was a lot better this spring than last spring. Let's hope he does well.''

Scales said he got a good reception when he finally arrived.

"I just felt comfortable with everything throughout the organization here,'' Scales said, according to the Sun-Times. ''Everyone was welcoming and wanted you to do well. I know nothing is promised. If I go back, I go back. If I stay, I stay.''

It could be a short trip to Chicago for Scales; the Cubs are expected to recall pitcher Randy Wells from Iowa on Friday to take Zambrano's place in the rotation, meaning someone would have to go back down.

Then again, the way this story has played out, it seems anything is possible.

''A lot of options can happen before Friday,'' Cubs GM Jim Hendry said, according to the Sun-Times. ''I'm really happy for Bobby. He's a unique story.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
It's a nice story. I hope he doesn't suck ass.
Anyone have any idea how the pay works for him? I'm assuming he had to sign a major league contract at league minimum. I'm not exactly sure what that is at this point, but let's just say $350K. If he's only up for 2 weeks, does he get a prorated portion of that and then he's required to sign a new contract with IA upon his return? Or is the league minimum now his contract regardless of whether he's playing with the Cubs or IA?

Any idea?
I got nothin'.

Andy
how much do minor league players usually make ??
I feel a big day coming on for him.
<!--quoteo(post=35619:date=May 5 2009, 11:13 AM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ May 5 2009, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Scales finally makes big leagues
ESPN.com news services
Bobby Scales' road to the big leagues started in Idaho Falls, Idaho, in 1999, in the rookie-level Pioneer League. The road led through Fort Wayne, Ind.; Lake Elsinore, Calif.; Mobile, Ala.; Portland, Ore.; Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Pa.; Pawtucket, R.I.; and Des Moines, Iowa.

On Sunday, after 11 seasons of bus rides through the minors, Scales finally made The Show when the <b>Chicago Cubs called up the utility infielder</b> and added him to the roster, replacing injured right-hander Carlos Zambrano. He was given No. 24 and had yet to make a plate appearance entering Tuesday's games.

''It's everything you hope for when you play professional baseball,'' Scales said, according to Chicago-area media reports. ''Some of us late bloomers have to wait longer than others, but I made it.''

A native of Southfield, Mich.,<b> Scales has been making ends meet as a substitute teacher during the offseason near his home in Alpharetta, Ga.</b>, MLB.com reported. As the seasons in the minors passed, he still thought about his dream, but learned to temper his expectations.

"As you get a little older, you try not to think about it because you don't want to go there mentally and be disappointed," he said, according to MLB.com. "You think about it from time to time but you bury it in the back of your mind. Fortunately, today's here for me today, and I'm happy to be here."

Scales, 31, who signed with the Cubs as a minor league free agent in winter 2007, had his best minor league season in 2008 for the Triple-A Iowa Cubs, hitting .320 with 15 home runs, 94 runs scored, and 59 runs batted in. He was batting .303 in 21 games this season at Iowa when he finally got the call.

Scales almost had his first call-up on Thursday, when it was believed Aramis Ramirez might need to go on the disabled list. But when that didn't happen, Scales was sent back to Iowa, the Chicago Tribune reported. Scales said the team was forthright with him about the possibility that he might not be activated during that first call-up.

"I appreciate that," he said, according to the Tribune. "You wait this long for it, you don't want to be disappointed."

But Scales never lost faith that he'd make a major league roster someday. "It may sound hokey, but I knew, deep down in the depths of my soul, I could play this game," he said.

The Cubs had been making do with a short bench for weeks. But manager Lou Piniella was glad to see Scales arrive for reasons that have nothing to do with the game.

''I'm happy he's here because this young man has endured a long time in the minors,'' Piniella said, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. ''It's a real nice story. He deserves it. He was a lot better this spring than last spring. Let's hope he does well.''

Scales said he got a good reception when he finally arrived.

"I just felt comfortable with everything throughout the organization here,'' Scales said, according to the Sun-Times. ''Everyone was welcoming and wanted you to do well. I know nothing is promised. If I go back, I go back. If I stay, I stay.''

It could be a short trip to Chicago for Scales; the Cubs are expected to recall pitcher Randy Wells from Iowa on Friday to take Zambrano's place in the rotation, meaning someone would have to go back down.

Then again, the way this story has played out, it seems anything is possible.

''A lot of options can happen before Friday,'' Cubs GM Jim Hendry said, according to the Sun-Times. ''I'm really happy for Bobby. He's a unique story.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Are all of our longtime minor leaguers substitute teachers in the offseason?
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=35639:date=May 5 2009, 11:55 AM:name=wcplummer)-->QUOTE (wcplummer @ May 5 2009, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I feel a big day coming on for him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
If about anybody else were on the mound, I'd agree.
@TheBlogfines
he's off to a great start.
Wang.
Thats the first hit of many to come!
Some take up home plate to give it to Scales for his first run scored!
And Shark sent back to Iowa
@TheBlogfines
Good, he's looked like shit.
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
Wow. The Cubs are actually going to go with 11 pitchers?