Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Papi
Wrist injuries can certainly sap power from a power hitter. It seems like a pretty obvious connection. Hank Aaron always said that his homers were in his wrists, and Ernie Banks repeatedly said the same thing about his power (and when he was leading the league in HR, he was a <i>skinny</i> mofo).

Still, Papi is suspect. I think Tom said it best...he's "probable."
And I think Lee is more in the realm of "possible."
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
He's Mo Vaughn.
<!--quoteo(post=38172:date=May 15 2009, 03:10 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ May 15 2009, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->He's Mo Vaughn.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

mo vaughn is a probable. greg vaughn is a definite.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=38122:date=May 15 2009, 12:08 PM:name=FlyAtTheThigh)-->QUOTE (FlyAtTheThigh @ May 15 2009, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think it's a combination of age and that wrist injury from last year more than a PED case, but you never know anymore.

The same sort of questions could be presented about Derrek Lee.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Seeing Lee discuss this subject many times, and knowing how he is, I <b>highly</b> doubt he's used. I thought the same thing about Manny as well so you never know, but Lee's near the bottom of the list of guys I'd think would do it.

I've watched a lot of the Papi at bats and he's just a little off with his swing. I think once he gets his first homer he'll put up solid numbers after that. He's declining for sure, but he's not done.
@TheBlogfines
And on that topic, there's of course suspicion of Theriot now.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Theriot said he laughed when he saw the headline: "Small hitter, big problem: When even Theriot raises suspicions, baseball's earned cynicism."

"It's just comical," Theriot said.

Cubs manager Lou Piniella was upset by what the headline and column implied.

"Isn't that crazy?" Piniella said. "When the wind is blowing out at Wrigley and you can show some bat speed and get the ball up in the pull field, you're going to get rewarded.

"The biggest problem with the steroid thing is not the fact that people took steroids, it's that the people who haven't get tainted along with everybody else," Piniella said. "This is why truthfully, when they named Alex [Rodriguez] it's unfair. They should've named all 103 [players who tested positive]. Look, if I were clean, I'd want to let people know I was clean so if I hit a few home runs, people don't look at me and say, 'Is this guy Popeye or what?'"

Theriot, whose previous high for homers in a season was three and who hit only one last season in 149 games, has belted five in the Cubs' first 33 games, including his first career grand slam.

"I guess everybody is entitled to their own opinion," Theriot said. "It's unfortunate that it's come to this. I guess you can write whatever you want to write and it's up to the readers to formulate their own opinion."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Theriot said he even stopped drinking protein shakes in 2005. Now he relies on an occasional ice cream drumstick.

"Coming up through high school and the time I was in college, supplements were a huge part of our workout regime," Theriot said. "Companies would sponsor your school, and you would get free supplements. For me, the risk-reward was never worth it, to even take a chance on a protein shake. My supplements the last four, five years have been Gatorade and water."

Piniella talked to Theriot in late April when the team was in St. Louis about trying to pull the ball more.

"The last time I checked, I was a professional athlete and an everyday player who has put up some decent numbers," Theriot said. "I guess anybody can do anything if you set your mind to it. I've always been under that belief. I feel I could go out there and pitch if I wanted to. A few homers here and there -- you have to remember it's only a few. It's not like I've got 30."

All of Theriot's 12 career home runs have come at Wrigley Field.

"I asked him in St. Louis earlier in the year to not think of right field exclusively -- drive the ball," Piniella said. "You're capable of driving the ball to left-center, right-center. I think it's absurd to think anything else.

"Truthfully, not anybody, but mostly anybody in the big leagues is capable of hitting 10 or 12 home runs," Piniella said.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
@TheBlogfines
I read something that questions the "wrist" theory: apparently, last year after his wrist injury, he came back and had a solid last 2 months (SLG way over .500, etc.).

So maybe he <i>is</i> Mo Vaughn.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
He was benched today ....
<!--quoteo(post=38199:date=May 15 2009, 06:55 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ May 15 2009, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And on that topic, there's of course suspicion of Theriot now.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Theriot said he laughed when he saw the headline: "Small hitter, big problem: When even Theriot raises suspicions, baseball's earned cynicism."

"Isn't that crazy?" Piniella said. "When the wind is blowing out at Wrigley and you can show some bat speed and get the ball up in the pull field, you're going to get rewarded.

"The biggest problem with the steroid thing is not the fact that people took steroids, it's that the people who haven't get tainted along with everybody else," Piniella said. "This is why truthfully, when they named Alex [Rodriguez] it's unfair. They should've named all 103 [players who tested positive]. Look, if I were clean, I'd want to let people know I was clean so if I hit a few home runs, people don't look at me and say, 'Is this guy Popeye or what?'"

Theriot, whose previous high for homers in a season was three and who hit only one last season in 149 games, has belted five in the Cubs' first 33 games, including his first career grand slam.

"I guess everybody is entitled to their own opinion," Theriot said. "It's unfortunate that it's come to this. I guess you can write whatever you want to write and it's up to the readers to formulate their own opinion."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Theriot said he even stopped drinking protein shakes in 2005. Now he relies on an occasional ice cream drumstick.

"Coming up through high school and the time I was in college, supplements were a huge part of our workout regime," Theriot said. "Companies would sponsor your school, and you would get free supplements. For me, the risk-reward was never worth it, to even take a chance on a protein shake. My supplements the last four, five years have been Gatorade and water."

Piniella talked to Theriot in late April when the team was in St. Louis about trying to pull the ball more.

"The last time I checked, I was a professional athlete and an everyday player who has put up some decent numbers," Theriot said. "I guess anybody can do anything if you set your mind to it. I've always been under that belief. I feel I could go out there and pitch if I wanted to. A few homers here and there -- you have to remember it's only a few. It's not like I've got 30."

"I asked him in St. Louis earlier in the year to not think of right field exclusively -- drive the ball," Piniella said. "You're capable of driving the ball to left-center, right-center. I think it's absurd to think anything else.

"Truthfully, not anybody, but mostly anybody in the big leagues is capable of hitting 10 or 12 home runs," Piniella said.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I wonder if either of them actually read Telander's article. It wasn't accusing Theriot of using. It was being ironic - the point was that now, when anyone does anything out of the ordinary power-wise, we are suspicious because of the culture MLB allowed to fester.

Theriot was just the vehicle. Telander no more thinks Theriot has juiced than we do.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=38291:date=May 16 2009, 08:48 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ May 16 2009, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=38199:date=May 15 2009, 06:55 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ May 15 2009, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And on that topic, there's of course suspicion of Theriot now.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Theriot said he laughed when he saw the headline: "Small hitter, big problem: When even Theriot raises suspicions, baseball's earned cynicism."

I wonder if either of them actually read Telander's article. It wasn't accusing Theriot of using. It was being ironic - the point was that now, when anyone does anything out of the ordinary power-wise, we are suspicious because of the culture MLB allowed to fester.

Theriot was just the vehicle. Telander no more thinks Theriot has juiced than we do.
Theriot said he read it a few times and understood what Telander was saying, he just didn't appreciate the title. I would be pissed off too, it's ridiculous.

Deadspin had some fun with this
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=38309:date=May 16 2009, 03:16 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ May 16 2009, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=38291:date=May 16 2009, 08:48 AM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ May 16 2009, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=38199:date=May 15 2009, 06:55 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ May 15 2009, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And on that topic, there's of course suspicion of Theriot now.

Theriot said he read it a few times and understood what Telander was saying, he just didn't appreciate the title. I would be pissed off too, it's ridiculous.

Deadspin had some fun with this

Yeah, the title was classic eye-grabbing bs. ...not unlike my own.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
My thing with "The Juice"..if they're going to use it..Let them..but make them admit it first so they can ruin their lives and possibly careers right away instead of years later, that and so they can start a second record book. Have one "Normal Guy" book and a "Roids Book"
[Image: eaobup.jpg]
<!--quoteo(post=38291:date=May 16 2009, 09:48 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ May 16 2009, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=38199:date=May 15 2009, 06:55 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ May 15 2009, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And on that topic, there's of course suspicion of Theriot now.

thanks ace. i was just going to make that point. telander never really said he thought the riot was on roids. the point of the article is that you can't trust anyone now.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=38502:date=May 18 2009, 07:30 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ May 18 2009, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=38291:date=May 16 2009, 09:48 AM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ May 16 2009, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=38199:date=May 15 2009, 06:55 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ May 15 2009, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And on that topic, there's of course suspicion of Theriot now.

thanks ace. i was just going to make that point. telander never really said he thought the riot was on roids. the point of the article is that you can't trust anyone now.

The problem is that a good 75% of people do NOT read the article. They make an assumption of the article based on the headline. So it was a very poor choice of headline if his intentions were not to lump Theriot in with steroids. So the blame should go to the editor, since the author rarely sets the headline.
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=38503:date=May 18 2009, 07:54 AM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ May 18 2009, 07:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=38502:date=May 18 2009, 07:30 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ May 18 2009, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=38291:date=May 16 2009, 09:48 AM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ May 16 2009, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=38199:date=May 15 2009, 06:55 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ May 15 2009, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And on that topic, there's of course suspicion of Theriot now.

The problem is that a good 75% of people do NOT read the article. They make an assumption of the article based on the headline. So it was a very poor choice of headline if his intentions were not to lump Theriot in with steroids. So the blame should go to the editor, since the author rarely sets the headline.

totally agree. it's a shame that papers are resorting to sensationalism to ty to save themselves from dying off.
Wang.
If papers were smart they would offer their content as either paper or electronic and then make it subscription only.
I got nothin'.

Andy