Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gerald Perry fired
Cubs fired hitting coach Gerald Perry today. Replaced him with Iowa hitting coach Von Joshua.

I guess Perry is the scapegoat.

Link
Sometimes moves like this spark a team...and sometimes not. I'm all for trying anything at this point.
Told someone yesterday that since they probably won't fire Lou, they should probably fire Perry. I don't believe it's his fault, but something needed to be done.
now the offense is going to explode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wang.
Too bad they can't fire the entire staff.

This probably won't matter though.
They hit great with him last year, so yeah, guess he's just the scapegoat, but maybe it will help.
<!--quoteo(post=44086:date=Jun 14 2009, 01:53 PM:name=jeffy)-->QUOTE (jeffy @ Jun 14 2009, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->They hit great with him last year, so yeah, guess he's just the scapegoat, but maybe it will help.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can't decide which way his having been the hitting coach last year cuts. If we give him credit for last year, then we've got to blame him for this year, no?
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
He's not the problem. Egos are. Perry changed the plate approach of this team. He turned us from a free swinging group into the best on-base percentage team in the league. We've got a bunch of hot headed assfucks that try to hit home runs every bat, namely Theriot and Soriano. They're the problem. Everything is on the players. Disagree with personnel and managing decisions all you want, but the reason we're playing like a bunch of Sallys is because of our richass players not playing like they always have.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=44092:date=Jun 14 2009, 02:23 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Jun 14 2009, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->He's not the problem. Egos are. Perry changed the plate approach of this team. He turned us from a free swinging group into the best on-base percentage team in the league. We've got a bunch of hot headed assfucks that try to hit home runs every bat, namely Theriot and Soriano. They're the problem. Everything is on the players. Disagree with personnel and managing decisions all you want, but the reason we're playing like a bunch of Sallys is because of our richass players not playing like they always have.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well said.
<!--quoteo(post=44092:date=Jun 14 2009, 02:23 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Jun 14 2009, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->He's not the problem. Egos are. Perry changed the plate approach of this team. He turned us from a free swinging group into the best on-base percentage team in the league. We've got a bunch of hot headed assfucks that try to hit home runs every bat, namely Theriot and Soriano. They're the problem. Everything is on the players. Disagree with personnel and managing decisions all you want, but the reason we're playing like a bunch of Sallys is because of our richass players not playing like they always have.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This.

It isn't Perry's fault that his players are refusing to show plate discipline and are trying to hit a homer every time they swing the goddamn bat. I don't think that he suddenly forgot how to coach during the offseason.
Just now Soriano pops one into left. Wild uppercut swings.. we just need to worry about getting base hits at this point.. sorry to point out the obvious but it's just pissing me off as I'm sure it is everyone else
[Image: eaobup.jpg]
I don't know a great deal about Iowa and how the hitters are doing, and maybe things have changed, but Joshua was always known for his speed and defensive ability, not his hitting. I beleive when the Dodgers first signed him he was to be some kind of pinch runner and I think he either got picked off or nailed stealing in his first attempt. I beleive he was also referred to as the fastest player in baseball at some point. I remember when he was with the Brewers as a player he kind of sucked, I don't think he had any reputation as a hitter.

Is Sarge working anyplace right now?
The Crabby and Bitchy Old Man of SOI
Just a question, but is there any correlation between a guys playing career and coaching career. Leo Mazzone and Dave Duncan sucked as players but are two of the better pitching coaches in the last decade. I do know I had never heard of guys like Soto, Fox, Hoff, and Scales until they got to AAA and they put up good numbers and got their shot in the bigs, maybe he knows how to show a guy how to hit but can't hit himself, it wouldnt be the first time something like that happened. I say give him a chance, why not?. I think some of these major league coaches really don't do shit for established guys so is this really a big deal?
<!--quoteo(post=44145:date=Jun 14 2009, 08:42 PM:name=chitownwinninitall)-->QUOTE (chitownwinninitall @ Jun 14 2009, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Just a question, but is there any correlation between a guys playing career and coaching career. Leo Mazzone and Dave Duncan sucked as players but are two of the better pitching coaches in the last decade. I do know I had never heard of guys like Soto, Fox, Hoff, and Scales until they got to AAA and they put up good numbers and got their shot in the bigs, maybe he knows how to show a guy how to hit but can't hit himself, it wouldnt be the first time something like that happened. I say give him a chance, why not?. I think some of these major league coaches really don't do shit for established guys so is this really a big deal?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As Bruce Levine wrote in his blog, I don't think that Gerald was fired because he was doing a bad job. It's quite possible that Hendry was looking to bring Joshua in simply because he has experience working with many of our current hitters and those guys could feel more receptive to taking his advice since they have an established history with him.
<!--quoteo(post=44147:date=Jun 14 2009, 07:17 PM:name=Gracie)-->QUOTE (Gracie @ Jun 14 2009, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=44145:date=Jun 14 2009, 08:42 PM:name=chitownwinninitall)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chitownwinninitall @ Jun 14 2009, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Just a question, but is there any correlation between a guys playing career and coaching career. Leo Mazzone and Dave Duncan sucked as players but are two of the better pitching coaches in the last decade. I do know I had never heard of guys like Soto, Fox, Hoff, and Scales until they got to AAA and they put up good numbers and got their shot in the bigs, maybe he knows how to show a guy how to hit but can't hit himself, it wouldnt be the first time something like that happened. I say give him a chance, why not?. I think some of these major league coaches really don't do shit for established guys so is this really a big deal?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As Bruce Levine wrote in his blog, I don't think that Gerald was fired because he was doing a bad job. It's quite possible that Hendry was looking to bring Joshua in simply because he has experience working with many of our current hitters and those guys could feel more receptive to taking his advice since they have an established history with him.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Sucks for Perry. However, that theory makes sense.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.