Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gerald Perry fired
<!--quoteo(post=44238:date=Jun 15 2009, 02:06 PM:name=Giff)-->QUOTE (Giff @ Jun 15 2009, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=44224:date=Jun 15 2009, 12:12 PM:name=FlyAtTheThigh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FlyAtTheThigh @ Jun 15 2009, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm about to feel dirtier than usual.

I find is odd/amusing that people used to love Ryan Theriot. Absolutely love him. And now, he is on pace to improve on every one of his counting stats from last year, save walks (hits, homeruns, doubles, triples...and yes, Ks, though that doesn't push my point) and actually finish the year as a statistically average hitter...and he's now a 'problem'.

Just because he's not hitting groundballs past second base anymore doesn't make him a problem now. I think quite the opposite.

/dirtiness over<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He's actually on pace for a couple fewer hits than last year, while on pace to strike out almost 50 more times than last season, and on pace to walk 24 times fewer. His OBP is 40 points lower than last season. That's supposed to be his game, he needs to get on base so the middle of the order can drive him in. If he was the player he was last year, Derrek Lee would have had someone to drive in over the last month and a half.

I suppose you could make an argument that what he's doing now is better. But the other side has a very good argument that he has digressed as a player, too.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was doing the paces in my head, so it's entirely possible (probable) that my numbers were off. Regardless, I'll take the power, especially on a team that is playing Bobby Scales or Mike Fontenot in a power position as well as Milton Bradley. This team isn't capable right now of driving in runs with three hit innings, I fear.

And yea, I know he's been worse recently, but that's the nature of the sport. One bad span does not a season make. It's possible he ends up hitting .250 this year. But then, it's possible that that's the player he has always been, not the .380 OBP guy from last year or the .440 slugger of this year. It is possible he's just not all that good, but taking the season on the whole this year, I have trouble lumping Theriot as an offensive problem.
<!--quoteo(post=44239:date=Jun 15 2009, 01:08 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Jun 15 2009, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Yeah, Theriot is awful right now. He may be having a better statistical year overall because of his 2 great weeks in early May, but right now he is not good at all.

He isn't walking, he is striking out a ton more, he isn't hitting extra base hits anymore and his average and OBP are down.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
And his lack of consistency is what really is forcing me to wanna smash his face. He goes on a tear for one week hitting HR and extra base hits, and then goes into a horrible slump for 2 weeks. Power is not his game, and he looks foolish out there, trying to be a shorter, less athletic, white Soriano.

This is one example where the stats are so misleading that you need to watch the games, because Theriot is NOT having such a good season.
<!--quoteo(post=44245:date=Jun 15 2009, 02:20 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jun 15 2009, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=44239:date=Jun 15 2009, 01:08 PM:name=Fella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fella @ Jun 15 2009, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Yeah, Theriot is awful right now. He may be having a better statistical year overall because of his 2 great weeks in early May, but right now he is not good at all.

He isn't walking, he is striking out a ton more, he isn't hitting extra base hits anymore and his average and OBP are down.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
And his lack of consistency is what really is forcing me to wanna smash his face. He goes on a tear for one week hitting HR and extra base hits, and then goes into a horrible slump for 2 weeks. Power is not his game, and he looks foolish out there, trying to be a shorter, less athletic, white Soriano.

This is one example where the stats are so misleading that you need to watch the games, because Theriot is NOT having such a good season.

Are you implying that I haven't watched the games? Don't you know who I am? Don't you know who I fucking am!!??!!?!
<!--quoteo(post=44243:date=Jun 15 2009, 12:16 PM:name=FlyAtTheThigh)-->QUOTE (FlyAtTheThigh @ Jun 15 2009, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And yea, I know he's been worse recently, but that's the nature of the sport. One bad span does not a season make. I<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And one 10 day stretch where you hit 5 Homers does not a power hitter make either, despite what Theriot seems to think.
<!--quoteo(post=44247:date=Jun 15 2009, 02:24 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Jun 15 2009, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=44243:date=Jun 15 2009, 12:16 PM:name=FlyAtTheThigh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FlyAtTheThigh @ Jun 15 2009, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And yea, I know he's been worse recently, but that's the nature of the sport. One bad span does not a season make. I<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And one 10 day stretch where you hit 5 Homers does not a power hitter make either, despite what Theriot seems to think.

I don't want to try to decipher what it is that Theriot thinks. It's entirely possible that he is going to the plate and trying to hit homeruns. It's equally possible that he's found a new swing that is more comfortable to him. It's also possible he's lost at the plate and that has, somehow, lead to a power surge and bad habits.

*shrug*
<!--quoteo(post=44248:date=Jun 15 2009, 12:35 PM:name=FlyAtTheThigh)-->QUOTE (FlyAtTheThigh @ Jun 15 2009, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=44247:date=Jun 15 2009, 02:24 PM:name=Fella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fella @ Jun 15 2009, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=44243:date=Jun 15 2009, 12:16 PM:name=FlyAtTheThigh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FlyAtTheThigh @ Jun 15 2009, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And yea, I know he's been worse recently, but that's the nature of the sport. One bad span does not a season make. I<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't want to try to decipher what it is that Theriot thinks. It's entirely possible that he is going to the plate and trying to hit homeruns. It's equally possible that he's found a new swing that is more comfortable to him. It's also possible he's lost at the plate and that has, somehow, lead to a power surge and bad habits.

*shrug*

Its pretty easy to see what he thinks if you are watching the games [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

He is pulling off the ball and swinging so hard he almost falls down, he wasn't doing that in April.
<!--quoteo(post=44250:date=Jun 15 2009, 02:38 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Jun 15 2009, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=44248:date=Jun 15 2009, 12:35 PM:name=FlyAtTheThigh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FlyAtTheThigh @ Jun 15 2009, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=44247:date=Jun 15 2009, 02:24 PM:name=Fella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fella @ Jun 15 2009, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=44243:date=Jun 15 2009, 12:16 PM:name=FlyAtTheThigh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FlyAtTheThigh @ Jun 15 2009, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And yea, I know he's been worse recently, but that's the nature of the sport. One bad span does not a season make. I<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

*shrug*

Its pretty easy to see what he thinks if you are watching the games [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

He is pulling off the ball and swinging so hard he almost falls down, he wasn't doing that in April.

I am going to dump you in a vat of chemicals. You will receive no super powers because of it, however. Suck on that.
Theriot is not good, never has been. Defensively, he's sub-par. Offensively, he may be average. On the basepaths he's a bonehead. Add all that together and you have yourself a backup middle infielder.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Despite an ugly .296 on-base percentage, Alfonso Soriano will remain the Cubs' leadoff hitter.
"We've been through this many times," Cubs manager Lou Piniella sighed. "When we signed Alfonso, he was a leadoff hitter. We've won two divisions with him being a leadoff hitter. What else can I say? He's struggling. We just got to hope he gets hot." Soriano is 14-for-95 (.147) in his last 22 games and has 66 strikeouts on the season.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r.gif[/img]
Don't look at Von Joshua's stats.
I like you guys a lot.
<!--quoteo(post=44259:date=Jun 15 2009, 12:18 PM:name=leonardsipes)-->QUOTE (leonardsipes @ Jun 15 2009, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Don't look at Von Joshua's stats.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
108 walks in 2375 plate appearances.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
the lou point is valid. it's driving me crazy that he's turned into a loveable old coot. is this why we brought him here? he has no passion and as a result, that's the way the team is playing.

i like the riot. what is bothering me is that sparkle is falling a part again. is it me, or is he spinning again, just like last year?
Wang.
Sparkle is on the exact same trajectory as last season.

Is the baseball season in Japan only 2 months long? I don't get it.
i was dumb to think sparkle turned it around this year. i actually thought he was for real.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=44311:date=Jun 15 2009, 04:58 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Jun 15 2009, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->i was dumb to think sparkle turned it around this year. i actually thought he was for real.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

I hope he still proves me wrong, but it looks doubtful. He just looks absolutely lost. We need to play Reed more.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v