Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Julio Lugo
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal has learned that Julio Lugo will be designated for assignment before Friday's game. Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein will continue to search for trade partners, but he's unlikely to net anything significant. Lugo is still owed the remainder of his $9 million salary this season (or about $4 million), plus $9 million for 2010. His 25-man roster spot will be given to either Mike Lowell or Jed Lowrie, both of whom are expected back from the disabled list this weekend.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo(post=50424:date=Jul 17 2009, 12:40 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 17 2009, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal has learned that Julio Lugo will be designated for assignment before Friday's game. Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein will continue to search for trade partners, but he's unlikely to net anything significant. Lugo is still owed the remainder of his $9 million salary this season (or about $4 million), plus $9 million for 2010. His 25-man roster spot will be given to either Mike Lowell or Jed Lowrie, both of whom are expected back from the disabled list this weekend.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
It would be nice to get him for the minimum just like Ryan, but we'd probably be blocked by several teams.
He has more speed than our other infield options and can actually get on base. His defense is terrible currently but he is worth a gamble if Boston eats his salary.

I would give up a low level prospect/draft pick for him to ensure another team doesn't put a claim on him.
Boston gave him 4 years/$36 milllion? I thought the Aaron Miles deal was bad.
And why do we need another light hitting 2nd baseman? We have plenty of those already. Let's get a real upgrade.
Take my hate for Ronny Cedeno and times that by 100 with Red Sox fans and Julio Lugo, and it's not just because of the money he was making. He's the one that always fucks up in huge situations and is just a dumb baseball player. He's also not a better SS than Theriot at this point of his career, and his errors seem to always come at bad times. Not interested.
@TheBlogfines
[Image: ronnycedenomasked.jpg]
<!--quoteo(post=50433:date=Jul 17 2009, 01:51 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jul 17 2009, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=50424:date=Jul 17 2009, 12:40 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 17 2009, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal has learned that Julio Lugo will be designated for assignment before Friday's game. Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein will continue to search for trade partners, but he's unlikely to net anything significant. Lugo is still owed the remainder of his $9 million salary this season (or about $4 million), plus $9 million for 2010. His 25-man roster spot will be given to either Mike Lowell or Jed Lowrie, both of whom are expected back from the disabled list this weekend.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
It would be nice to get him for the minimum just like Ryan, but we'd probably be blocked by several teams.

I might be wrong, but I don't think anyone can block us, without claiming him, at which point the red sox would be doing handstands. If anyone claims him, they are liable for his contract. What's more likely is that he clears waivers, is a FA, and signs with anyone he wants for the prorated minimum.

The other option is to offer them a "prospect" like Jason Dubois for him, with the understanding that the BoSox would have to pay 98 percent of his salary. However, at that point, I think the commissioners office has to OK it.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
Julio Lugo: ‘I wanted it to work out’

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->According to a baseball source, at least three teams have indicated some interest in Lugo. The teams are the Mets, Cardinals and Cubs, according to the source.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds about right.
One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

<!--quoteo(post=50441:date=Jul 17 2009, 02:55 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Jul 17 2009, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Take my hate for Ronny Cedeno and times that by 100 with Red Sox fans and Julio Lugo, and it's not just because of the money he was making. He's the one that always fucks up in huge situations and is just a dumb baseball player. He's also not a better SS than Theriot at this point of his career, and his errors seem to always come at bad times. Not interested.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Sounds like he was born to be a Cub.
bring him jim, bring him. put theriot at his real position and lets win.
"If you throw at someone's head, it's very dangerous, because in the head is the brain." -- Pudge Rodriguez to AM 1270 WXYT in Detroit
<!--quoteo(post=50452:date=Jul 17 2009, 04:34 PM:name=CFOrfan)-->QUOTE (CFOrfan @ Jul 17 2009, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->bring him jim, bring him. put theriot at his real position and lets win.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agree that Jim should take a gamble on Julio but Theriot is a gold glove compared to what Lugo has done in the field this year.

Give him Lugo some time and let him be the 6th second baseman the Cubs have trotted out this year.
Well tonight, your mom is better than Theriot at SS. This is awful.
@TheBlogfines
I have a very hard time understanding why anyone would want Lugo here. At first I was thinking maybe it was because of his glove, but apparently from what everyone is saying he doesn't field well anymore. It certainly can't be for anything that he can do at the plate, since his numbers have been pretty abysmal the past few seasons. What am I missing?
<!--quoteo(post=50519:date=Jul 18 2009, 11:51 AM:name=Brock)-->QUOTE (Brock @ Jul 18 2009, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I have a very hard time understanding why anyone would want Lugo here. At first I was thinking maybe it was because of his glove, but apparently from what everyone is saying he doesn't field well anymore. It certainly can't be for anything that he can do at the plate, since his numbers have been pretty abysmal the past few seasons. What am I missing?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Have you not seen our second basemen's numbers?
"If you throw at someone's head, it's very dangerous, because in the head is the brain." -- Pudge Rodriguez to AM 1270 WXYT in Detroit