Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Julio Lugo
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->According to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal, the Red Sox "are willing to assume virtually all of shortstop Julio Lugo's remaining salary in a trade."

They've informed teams of this too, according to Rosenthal's sources. That should allow a deal to move quickly, perhaps before Mike Lowell and Jed Lowrie are ready to rejoin the club. Lugo, 33, is batting .284 this season with a .352 on-base percentage and eight RBI in 123 plate appearances.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Would anyone be interested in the BoSox ate his whole salary? Give them a low level prospect and see if that gets it done. I seem to remember Lugo being decent with the glove but his batting numbers have never been anything special. However, it would allow us to move Theriot to 2nd and have Lugo at short (if the Cubs are even thinking that needs to be done). If we don't have to to pay any of the contract it is worth inquiring about IMO.
I wonder if the Red Sox would trade him for Cesar Izturis.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
Yes. When healthy, Lugo has proven to be an excellent defender and decent bat. That said, I wouldn't give a whole lot for him even if Boston is paying most of his salary.
Absolutely interested.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
They'd literally have to thrown in close to $10 M.
<!--quoteo(post=50376:date=Jul 17 2009, 07:18 AM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 17 2009, 07:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->They'd literally have to thrown in close to $10 M.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

From the way it sounds, they would be willing to do that. Not sure if they would be willing to do that with the Cubs though (considering we have money). Not sure if that matters though. I would definitely be interested for the right price.
I didn't realize that he was having a rebound year.
He's actually not so great with the glove these days; it would almost be better to try him aa 2nd, and let Theriot stay at SS.
But a .352 OBP is nothing to sneeze at for a middle infielder.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=50382:date=Jul 17 2009, 07:55 AM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ Jul 17 2009, 07:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=50376:date=Jul 17 2009, 07:18 AM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 17 2009, 07:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->They'd literally have to thrown in close to $10 M.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

From the way it sounds, they would be willing to do that. Not sure if they would be willing to do that with the Cubs though (considering we have money). Not sure if that matters though. I would definitely be interested for the right price.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He's owed $4.5 M this year and is on the books for $9 M next year. For the Cubs to even think about adding him, my $10 M figure might not actually even be enough. I'd be interested, if they could work it out money-wise, but I don't really think that's gonna happen.
Hendry could move Miles for Lugo, to hide the mistake of signing him a bit.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
<!--quoteo(post=50389:date=Jul 17 2009, 08:12 AM:name=savant)-->QUOTE (savant @ Jul 17 2009, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Hendry could move Miles for Lugo, to hide the mistake of signing him a bit.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
The Red Sox would NEVER trade for Miles.
Er...
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=50391:date=Jul 17 2009, 08:19 AM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jul 17 2009, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=50389:date=Jul 17 2009, 08:12 AM:name=savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (savant @ Jul 17 2009, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Hendry could move Miles for Lugo, to hide the mistake of signing him a bit.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
The Red Sox would NEVER trade for Miles.
Er...
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Now there's something we all can agree with.
Lugo appears to still be recovering from his knee surgery (arthoscopic?) in April. He really barely capable of playing SS - his range sucks - but I don't know if he would be much better at second base. He is capable of getting on base.

If it weren't for his contract, he wouldn't be getting the bums rush out of Boston but he just hasn't lived up to the expectations of signing a 4 year $32 MM deal. He still has $13 MM deal remaining on the contract and it appears that Boston is willing to eat a vast majority of it to get him out of town.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him somewhere in the NL Central before all is said and done - maybe the Cards or Astros.

Hendry loves to collect second baseman but I would guess that it all comes down to how much of the salary Boston would be willing to eat. If they could get Lugo for under $4 MM for the remainder of this year and next, I would be for giving him a roster spot.
I might be interested, but he's only had 120+ PAs.
<!--quoteo(post=50397:date=Jul 17 2009, 10:12 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jul 17 2009, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I might be interested, but he's only had 120+ PAs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He just came back from injury in May and is splitting playing time with a rookie.
But . . . we'd have to let go of either Baker or Blanco or Miles . . . and all are just too valuable to this team!
One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer