Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There is no next year
a lot can happen in baseball in the next month and a half

I hope it's exciting at the very least...
[Image: pitch_20around_20pujols_small1.jpg]
Bob, do you want Lou's job?

"Because of my past employment, a lot of people think I'm trying to steal Lou's job,'' Brenly said. ''I'm not after anybody's job. I have to say what I see on the field. I'm doing the best job I can as an analyst, and at the end of the day, if I feel like I've made the game more interesting and fun, I've done my job.''

Yes Bob, you've developed into an excellent color man. Do you have any wish to manage the Cubs? Do you understand why some people might think you're subtly trying to undermine Lou and position yourself?

''If any analyst decided he wanted the manager's job, it wouldn't be very hard to make him look bad,'' Brenly said. ''You could point out everything you feel was a breach on the part of any manager -- good, bad or indifferent -- and make him look as bad as you want on a daily basis. But because I've been down there in that seat, I know how hard that job is and how hard this game is. That has never been and never will be my intention or my goal as an analyst -- to embarrass the players or to embarrass the coaches or the manager or to make myself look better than the manager.''

I see. If the job became available would you be interested in it as an avenue back into managing a team?

''Some jobs would be more attractive than others,'' Brenly said. ''The bottom line is, I'm happy doing what I'm doing right now. If I sit in the booth here and watch Cubs games for the rest of my life, then I'll be happy to do that.''

So you're not going to dignify suggestions that you're gunning for Lou's job?

"Right."
I'm not sure what else Brenly would be expected to say. Tough position to be in.
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=58171:date=Aug 17 2009, 07:13 AM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ Aug 17 2009, 07:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm not sure what else Brenly would be expected to say. Tough position to be in.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's my point. He gave reasonable answers to whatever the actual questions were. He's not committed himself to anything or confirmed or denied any desires he might harbor in his heart of hearts and he's promising to be a stand-up guy. There is nothing a journalist can conclude from those quotes other than Bob's on the record as not gunning for the job and being happy to stay where he's at if that's what's in the cards.

That article was a lot of stink over nothing.

Naturally those questions will be asked. And thankfully, those were the answers. Bob's not going to let himself get "stoned."
there is no next year.
Wang.
Perhaps worse, tommy:

There is only next year.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.