Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Byrd
<!--quoteo(post=92647:date=Apr 25 2010, 09:10 AM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Apr 25 2010, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I enjoy watching the games more when I'm aware of what's going on with the team. I can't just look at each roster move, change in the lineup and the pen and simply file it away as information. I formulate opinions. As a Cubs fan, I guess I'm predisposed to pessimism...but that doesn't bother me that much. It makes things like Byrd...and the way Z handled things last night...nice surprises. I don't mind being wrong.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like that...

On the other hand...go screw yourself.
You were pleased with Z's performance last night? Three baserunners and a run in an inning and a third? The only good thing he did was his sacrifice fly (sans shoe), and that will virtually never happen while he's in the pen.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=92650:date=Apr 25 2010, 09:24 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Apr 25 2010, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->You were pleased with Z's performance last night? Three baserunners and a run in an inning and a third? The only good thing he did was his sacrifice fly (sans shoe), and that will virtually never happen while he's in the pen.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Shut up, Ace. You're wrong about lots of stuff.

Go back to your small sample size argument...
Zambrano's outing wasn't great, but he didn't let anything get out of hand, either. Unfortunately, these days that qualifies as excellent... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure.gif[/img]

One game, his first in the pen, is hardly a "sample" by any stretch... if, say after 3 or 4 appearances, he averages a run per outing, then I think it's safe to say it's not a great experiment... but still better than Samardzija staying as our 7th inning guy. Any way you slice it, even if he turns in 4 straight scoreless outings, seeing Zambrano in the bullpen is desperation by definition.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." Albert Einstein
<!--quoteo(post=92650:date=Apr 25 2010, 09:24 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Apr 25 2010, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->You were pleased with Z's performance last night? Three baserunners and a run in an inning and a third? The only good thing he did was his sacrifice fly (sans shoe), and that will virtually never happen while he's in the pen.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Compare Z's stats to what the bullpen has been doing in the 7th and 8th innings. Yeah, small sample size but my guess is that bullpen had averaged giving up more than a run in the 8th.

Otherwise, Z didn't do a good job compared to an average reliever but compared to Cubs relief - he's the second coming.
Besides...this isn't about that.
Stuck on a runway and don't have access to anything beyond phone but from what I can gather the bullpen has given up 32 earned runs in 50.2 innings. If we exclude Marmol's stats, that leaves 31 earned runs in 41 innings or era of 6.8. Hoped to be able to refine further to review just the 20st to 24th outs but running out of battery.

Z era for his outing last night was 6.75 so ge rocks by 0.05 runs!
I'm more concerned about Grabow than Z.
I can't tell if you guys are just joking, or are seriously arguing that Z's performance was good, simply because the rest of the pen in 7th/8th has been so bad?

His performance - if he did that every game - was terrible. We would all say so after about four games. What am I missing here?

I don't really have to tell you how badly things could have gone last night. He handled the situation well emotionally. He inherited runners and got out of there giving up only run run in an inning and a third of late relief (and how often has that happened this season?). He picked up a hilarious RBI. All coming in his first relief appearance in 8 years. I will not only take it...I loved it. Yes, I was very pleased.
<!--quoteo(post=92662:date=Apr 25 2010, 12:12 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Apr 25 2010, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I can't tell if you guys are just joking, or are seriously arguing that Z's performance was good, simply because the rest of the pen in 7th/8th has been so bad?

His performance - if he did that every game - was terrible. We would all say so after about four games. What am I missing here?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're talking about yet another small sample size, and a situational instance where you might be proven wrong.

You can disagree with my point...that I understand, but how about a little consistency?

And...I love you.
<!--quoteo(post=92704:date=Apr 25 2010, 03:43 PM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Apr 25 2010, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=92662:date=Apr 25 2010, 12:12 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Apr 25 2010, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I can't tell if you guys are just joking, or are seriously arguing that Z's performance was good, simply because the rest of the pen in 7th/8th has been so bad?

His performance - if he did that every game - was terrible. We would all say so after about four games. What am I missing here?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're talking about yet another small sample size, and a situational instance where you might be proven wrong.

You can disagree with my point...that I understand, but how about a little consistency?

And...I love you.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I know we're talking about a small sample - everyone's talking about the same outing. I was just surprised to hear consensus that folks were pleased with what appeared to me to be a typical late-inning bullpen appearance.