Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Byrd
Your worst fears have come true.

Cubs set to sign Marlon Byrd to a 3 year deal. Haven't heard the dollar amount yet.
I got nothin'.

Andy
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/ne...id=4785125

3 years, 15 million
Well, at least it's only $5 mil per. That isn't too bad.

And thank god it wasn't Pods.
I don't mind the $5 mil, but the 3 years must have been a trade off.
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=73559:date=Dec 31 2009, 11:29 AM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ Dec 31 2009, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I don't mind the $5 mil, but the 3 years must have been a trade off.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah, I was really hoping for 2. Anyway, if it is backloaded, it would make it slightly harder to dump him if it ever came down to it, but I think it will be manageable.
This addition "fills me with inertia."
You know, I'm not fond of 3 yrs, and I really don't think Byrd's game will translate well outside of Texas, but this hasn't made my head explode as expected. The mere fact that I am indifferent means Hendry didn't screw the pooch. I'm not thrilled, but I'm not angry either. I do think we will come to loathe the third year of this contract.
<!--quoteo(post=73562:date=Dec 31 2009, 11:34 AM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Dec 31 2009, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I do think we will come to loathe the third year of this contract.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's standard Jim Hendry procedure.

I agree though- I didn't swear when I saw the news, so I guess I'm OK with it. I just hope it works out better than our last Texas FA.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->It was his first major league season with more than 500 at-bats...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This screams 3yr/$15M for a 32 year old. Late bloomer? Hopefully.
I would assume he'd be #6 in the batting order??

Theriot
Fuk
DLee
ARam
Soriano
Byrd
Soto
Baker
I got nothin'.

Andy
The money isn't bad (though if it's massively backloaded, we're going to hate it soon), but I'm still disappointed. He isn't good defensively. He sucks outside of Arlington. He isn't a good addition for this lineup.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=73567:date=Dec 31 2009, 11:49 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 31 2009, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The money isn't bad (though if it's massively backloaded, we're going to hate it soon), but I'm still disappointed. He isn't good defensively. He sucks outside of Arlington. He isn't a good addition for this lineup.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm expecting Jaque Jones type numbers. I forgot where he batted, wasn't it 6th or 7th most of the time?
<!--quoteo(post=73567:date=Dec 31 2009, 11:49 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 31 2009, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The money isn't bad (though if it's massively backloaded, we're going to hate it soon), but I'm still disappointed. He isn't good defensively. He sucks outside of Arlington. He isn't a good addition for this lineup.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just noticed his lefty/righty splits. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/puke.gif[/img]
I got nothin'.

Andy
Byrd is the safest of the remaining bad, free agent CF options.

The Cards are about to resign Holliday to a huge multi-year deal but I'm not worried as the Cubs just signed Byrd to a 3 year deal.

I'm waiting for the addition by subtraction theme to be floated to the media sometime soon.

I'm usually upbeat but my only hope for the 2010 Cubs is that players that underperformed in 2009 have career years in 2010.

Happy New Year!
<!--quoteo(post=73570:date=Dec 31 2009, 11:57 AM:name=1060Ivy)-->QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Dec 31 2009, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm usually upbeat but my only hope for the 2010 Cubs is that players that underperformed in 2009 have career years in 2010.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm pretty certain that's what Hendry is banking on. If it doesn't happen, this will be his last season as a Cub GM.
I got nothin'.

Andy