Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Byrd
Hendry's legacy will be all the backloaded contracts and the overpaying for so-called replacement level vets. It's a shame, as his tenure started out so well.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
Like most others, I do not like the 3 years, but I can live with the 5 million per. Do I think he is a savior, not at all. I honestly don't think he is an upgrade offensively from Bradley either, but he should be better in the clubhouse and hopefully he gets off to a better start than Bradley. Hoping working with Jaramillo will keep him productive. With that said, I would still LOVE for the Cubs to somehow get a SS and move Theriot to 2nd.
I also wouldn't mind adding another SP, but that would be a longshot at this point.
<!--quoteo(post=73572:date=Dec 31 2009, 12:00 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 31 2009, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Hendry's legacy will be all the backloaded contracts and the overpaying for so-called replacement level vets. It's a shame, as his tenure started out so well.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But Byrd isn't a replacement level vet. His WAR last year would have made him the fourth best hitter on the team. And his WAR in 2008 would have made him the 4th best hitter on our 97 win team.

Unless you weren't referring to this pickup with your comment.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
The problem, as I see it, is that we are now essentially paying more money for a significantly worse player than Milton Bradley. The contract itself is not terrible, but the end result of the whole fiasco, is Hendry is basically paying 12.5 million to have Marlon Byrd. This really sucks, but it's not unexpected.
<!--quoteo(post=73572:date=Dec 31 2009, 12:00 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 31 2009, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Hendry's legacy will be all the backloaded contracts and the overpaying for so-called replacement level vets. It's a shame, as his tenure started out so well.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I honestly appreciate your stepping up and owning this opinion, Ace...but, I disagree.

Unless you or I come to know the entire back story to Jim's tenure, it will be difficult to determine his legacy...hard to speak in broad strokes, but dial the reason down to a faucet trickle.
<!--quoteo(post=73579:date=Dec 31 2009, 01:41 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Dec 31 2009, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73572:date=Dec 31 2009, 12:00 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 31 2009, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Hendry's legacy will be all the backloaded contracts and the overpaying for so-called replacement level vets. It's a shame, as his tenure started out so well.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But Byrd isn't a replacement level vet. His WAR last year would have made him the fourth best hitter on the team. And his WAR in 2008 would have made him the 4th best hitter on our 97 win team.

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Last year he wasn't. But I'd say the rest of his career he was very much a replacement level player. Next three years, outside of Arlington and turing 32-34, he could very well be a replacement level player again. Hope not.
BT, do you like or dislike this move?
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Last year he wasn't. But I'd say the rest of his career he was very much a replacement level player.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, actually he wasn't. In fact, with the exception of a 3 year period between 2004-06 (less than half his career), he has been really very good. His lowest OPS outside of those 3 years was .778. His WAR has been 2.4 and above. Even in his bad 2005 year, he was slightly better than a replacement player.

In short, he hasn't been remotely close to being a replacement level player in 3 years.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
My expectations for 2010 have already been set. This signing doesn't change it in either direction, really.

Sucks that the Cards are about to sign Holliday, though. With Holliday and Pujols leading their offense and Carpenter and Wainwright leading their pitching staff, we really don't have much of a prayer of winning the Central.

Here's to 2011.
<!--quoteo(post=73589:date=Dec 31 2009, 02:00 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Dec 31 2009, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->My expectations for 2010 have already been set. This signing doesn't change it in either direction, really.

Sucks that the Cards are about to sign Holliday, though. With Holliday and Pujols leading their offense and Carpenter and Wainwright leading their pitching staff, we really don't have much of a prayer of winning the Central.

Here's to 2011 2015.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Fixed
I don't like Byrd...I was living near Philly when he was a prospect, and I never saw much to like. Overhyped and underdelivered.

That said...he has reclaimed the better part of his footing.

Now...when the rumor had him seeking 3 years at 8-10 per, I was beyond hopeful that Hendry would pass him by. At 3/15, he seems like a reasonable target. If he did recreate his 2009, I think we'd all be pretty happy.

I know the offensive benefits of playing in Texas, but for many players...it's not the ballpark...it's playing at "home".

I wish it were someone else, too...but, I can't call it a good or bad signing yet.
<!--quoteo(post=73587:date=Dec 31 2009, 12:57 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 31 2009, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->BT, do you like or dislike this move?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The best I can muster is that I don't hate it. I do fear it's possible he is on the downside of his career, but I don't think 5 million a year is a bad price at all. Even if he is our 4th outfielder by year 3, five million is very doable.
<!--quoteo(post=73579:date=Dec 31 2009, 01:41 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Dec 31 2009, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73572:date=Dec 31 2009, 12:00 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 31 2009, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Hendry's legacy will be all the backloaded contracts and the overpaying for so-called replacement level vets. It's a shame, as his tenure started out so well.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was referring to backloading with this particular deal.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
Well, if I am trying to be optimistic, I would say that looking at park factors over the last few years, Wrigley seems to be as much of a hitters park as Arlington, which surprised me. So maybe the combination of Wrigley+Jaramillo, will be good for Byrd. That, plus Hendry didn't really overpay, and maybe Byrd sucked before Texas because he didn't get enough regular playing time. How's that?