Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheets
<!--quoteo(post=76429:date=Jan 18 2010, 11:37 AM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Jan 18 2010, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=76426:date=Jan 18 2010, 10:49 AM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jan 18 2010, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=76425:date=Jan 18 2010, 10:11 AM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Jan 18 2010, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=76424:date=Jan 18 2010, 10:53 AM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jan 18 2010, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=76418:date=Jan 18 2010, 08:20 AM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Jan 18 2010, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->My thoughts:

1.) This Toronto writer doesn't know anything more about the Cubs' moves than does the local media;

2.) He was dismissing the Blue Jays as a destination, and then just tossed out the name of the team most often attached to Sheets as a way of doing so.

I don't think anything has changed: the Cubs will watch Sheets throw tomorrow, but it's a double-bind. If he throws crappy, the Cubs can afford him, but won't want him. If he throws well, the Cubs will want him, but can't afford him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's strong reasoning, Ace...but, one throwing session doesn't erase Sheets' history.

So much of what is printed about contract dollars is just agent posturing. If Sheets were going to get 10M a year, I think he'd have already gotten it.

He's a classic reclamation project...he's Chris Carpenter.

I think he gets incentives, and a higher base than normal...but, it will still be about incentives.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But my concern is, even if that's the case: why wouldn't 10 other teams offer him the same thing? At that point, we just have to hope that no team tops the others, and he really wants to be a Cub.

I agree with that...and, I do not believe this writer for a second.

Also...can we afford the incentives? Do we really make more money from every win, even if we get to the playoffs? The place sells out anyway...

Yes we actually do. For starters, the making the playoffs automatically makes you money. But putting that aside, every win that keeps people who already paid for the ticket coming to the game, is worth X amount of $$ as well. The games last September were sold out, but they were not fully attended. And every person who shows up is a litttle more $$ in concessions, some parking, etc.

Excellent point, Beater...I've always loved you.
Topped out at 91 mph on the fastballs... now he's gonna throw curves.
@TheBlogfines
Trenni Kusneirek:
Just talked w scout, re:how Sheets looked. Good mechanics. Great shape. Is way ahead of where he'd be velocity wise at beg of normal spring
@TheBlogfines
Where are you getting this? Twitter?
<!--quoteo(post=76533:date=Jan 19 2010, 12:16 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Jan 19 2010, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Where are you getting this? Twitter?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah
@TheBlogfines
And it's worth noting that it's likely not going to make a difference for us with Lou saying a few days ago that we'll be adding a fourth outfielder and late-inning reliever, both of which he promised will be more than just blah players. We'll see about that, but you'd have to think there's not going to be money to also get Sheets.
@TheBlogfines
We are quickly cornering the market on relievers.
<!--quoteo(post=76542:date=Jan 19 2010, 01:26 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Jan 19 2010, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->We are quickly cornering the market on relievers.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fiendish plot?
<!--quoteo(post=76540:date=Jan 19 2010, 01:23 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Jan 19 2010, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And it's worth noting that it's likely not going to make a difference for us with Lou saying a few days ago that we'll be adding a fourth outfielder and late-inning reliever, both of which he promised will be more than just blah players. We'll see about that, but you'd have to think there's not going to be money to also get Sheets.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Unless we add one of those via trade and don't end up taking on more payroll as a result. It probably isn't likely though.
<!--quoteo(post=76551:date=Jan 19 2010, 01:49 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jan 19 2010, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=76542:date=Jan 19 2010, 01:26 PM:name=funkster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (funkster @ Jan 19 2010, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->We are quickly cornering the market on relievers.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fiendish plot?
If we sign all ML relievers there will be none left for anyone's bullpen...muahhahaha
<!--quoteo(post=76559:date=Jan 19 2010, 02:03 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Jan 19 2010, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=76551:date=Jan 19 2010, 01:49 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jan 19 2010, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=76542:date=Jan 19 2010, 01:26 PM:name=funkster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (funkster @ Jan 19 2010, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->We are quickly cornering the market on relievers.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fiendish plot?
If we sign all ML relievers there will be none left for anyone's bullpen...muahhahaha

Jim Hendry lives on a nuclear powered, movable, volcanic island with a cloaking shroud on Lake Michigan. Not everyone knows this.
Oh well. I hope he doesn't end up on one of our rivals.
Baseball Tonight just had Buster Olney saying that: early reports from Sheets's "tryout" look good, scouts liked his motion and delivery, his velocity was 90 - 91.

Olney believes that the A's will make a strong run for Sheets.

No mention of Cubs.
Something that made me vomit in my mouth:-

Cubs are 'monitoring' Mark Mulder

Fox link
Jim Callis suggested (take it for what it's worth), that Sheets could reasonably expect a $3M base salary with $7M in incentives. Could the Cubs afford that? Obviously, the incentives would be performance/health based, so whoever signs him would want him to earn the 7 bills. But could the Cubs afford the extra 7?

Anyway, I guess the Rangers have a lot of interest.