Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheets
If Sheets is healthy and available for less than $7 MM for 2010, the Cubs would be idiots not to take the risk on an Ace quality pitcher who appears to want to pitch for them.
If Sheets throws for teams and has the same velocity as before and the same curveball I do not think that the Cubs will be able to afford him. I agree that him wanting 10-12 million a year is ridiculous, but someone will give it to him.
I thought he wanted a 2 year deal that totaled $10-12 million.
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=75719:date=Jan 12 2010, 02:11 PM:name=PcB)-->QUOTE (PcB @ Jan 12 2010, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I thought he wanted a 2 year deal that totaled $10-12 million.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I swear I read that somewhere else too.
<!--quoteo(post=75720:date=Jan 12 2010, 03:12 PM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Jan 12 2010, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=75719:date=Jan 12 2010, 02:11 PM:name=PcB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PcB @ Jan 12 2010, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I thought he wanted a 2 year deal that totaled $10-12 million.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I swear I read that somewhere else too.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Per today's Muskrat article:

"Sheets, 31, who missed the 2009 season following elbow surgery, was believed to be asking for a two-year deal, <b>averaging $10 million-$12 million per year</b>."

The $10 - 12 MM a year was the range that Sheets was asking for at the start of free agency. Harden was also expecting a deal in the $10 MM per year range before he signed with the Rangers. Harden signed a deal for $6.5 MM in 2010 with a mutual option for 2011 for $11.5 MM and a $1.0 MM buyout. The Harden deal also includes another $2.5 MM in incentives bonuses.

It sounds like most expect Sheets deal to be comparable to Harden's deal.
No thanks for that kind of money. I am sick of blowing money on pitchers that don't pitch for us half of the time.
He can ask for it all he wants, he's not getting $10-12 million a year from anybody.
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
There was a lot of talk today about the Cubs taking a look at Sheets. He can't realistically expect to sign for 10 million a year can he?
<!--quoteo(post=76088:date=Jan 14 2010, 04:27 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Jan 14 2010, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->There was a lot of talk today about the Cubs taking a look at Sheets. He can't realistically expect to sign for 10 million a year can he?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If the Cubs really are looking at him, it must already be clear that he won't be getting that kind of money.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove09/c...&id=4824942

ESPN's Kurkjian appears to believe that Sheets is healthy and waiting to win in 2010.

Unfortunately if Sheets dominates at his upcoming showcase, the Cubs won't be able to afford him. Still believe that if he can be had for less than $7 MM in 2010, the Cubs should sign him. Sheets represents the best chance the Cubs have for competing in 2010.
Any chance the Rickettses would open the purse strings a little for an acquisition of this kind? My feelings towards the Ricketts family are already negative -- authorizing a signing like this would help neutralize this.
<!--quoteo(post=76204:date=Jan 15 2010, 10:38 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jan 15 2010, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Any chance the Rickettses would open the purse strings a little for an acquisition of this kind? My feelings towards the Ricketts family are already negative -- authorizing a signing like this would help neutralize this.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I almost get the sense that they are handcuffing Hendry on purpose as sort of punishment for throwing money away in the past. Problem is, he isn't the only one who suffers in the short term.

I hope I'm wrong.
<!--quoteo(post=76204:date=Jan 15 2010, 10:38 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jan 15 2010, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Any chance the Rickettses would open the purse strings a little for an acquisition of this kind? My feelings towards the Ricketts family are already negative -- authorizing a signing like this would help neutralize this.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I bet the Rickettses are very upset by your feelings towards them. Maybe you guys should have a sit down and work things out.
<!--quoteo(post=76207:date=Jan 15 2010, 10:58 AM:name=dk123)-->QUOTE (dk123 @ Jan 15 2010, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=76204:date=Jan 15 2010, 10:38 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jan 15 2010, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Any chance the Rickettses would open the purse strings a little for an acquisition of this kind? My feelings towards the Ricketts family are already negative -- authorizing a signing like this would help neutralize this.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I bet the Rickettses are very upset by your feelings towards them. Maybe you guys should have a sit down and work things out.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm pretty sure they're monitoring the goings-on of this board, saying to themselves, "OK...Butcher didn't like that move. WHAT CAN WE DO TO PLEASE THIS MAN?"

In fact, I'm positive that's what's happening.
Isn't he your neighbor Butch? Why don't do just kill his cat and stuff it into his mailbox. He'll get the hint then!
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge