Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KLaw's minor league rankings out
<!--quoteo(post=78092:date=Jan 30 2010, 03:59 PM:name=bz)-->QUOTE (bz @ Jan 30 2010, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78088:date=Jan 30 2010, 03:48 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jan 30 2010, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78082:date=Jan 30 2010, 02:47 PM:name=bz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bz @ Jan 30 2010, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78079:date=Jan 30 2010, 02:03 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jan 30 2010, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Vitters came in at a high # 30. Apparently he just smokes the hell out of the ball, but has zero patience. (sigh)<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->Getting on base is getting on base. I think the difference lies in what one enjoys watching. I like to see players get hits. I think that is exciting. I <i>do</i> enjoy watching a player work a 6 or 7 pitch at bat for a walk, however. But overall I much would much more enjoy watching a player get a hit.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Beez, What I personally enjoy watching, and what helps builds a winning team, are 2 totally different things. I <i>love</i> watching all the things that are bad for "percentage baseball:" lots of bunts, fat guys trying to steal bases, complete games by dog-tired pitchers, all-or-nothing sluggers who either blast a 450-foot home run or twist themselves into a corkscrew by striking out...that shit is my <i>favorite stuff</i>.

However, at this point, I'd forego enjoying these circus-like pleasures for the far greater pleasure of the Cubs actually winning something.
Would you object to having a guy who has a high OBP based on batting average? Is a player with a .280/.380 line more or less valuable than a player with a .330/380 line?
Object?!
Hell no, I'd embrace it like a mofo. Hits are definitely more valuable than walks. How did you ever get the impression that I don't think hitting a baseball is the single most important thing a player can do?

So, in your example, the guy with the .330/.380 is certainly more valuable than the guy who hits 50 points lower but walks a ton.

Still, you have to admit, patience at the plate is damn valuable. From your example, Vlad is among the most bizarre, unique players in my lifetime. Even his fellow players are constantly telling "Vlad stories" because they've never seen a guy consistently hit balls over his head, and balls that bounce in the dirt, for hits. He's not a remotely good example of anything, because he's a <i>complete</i> outlier.
That's why I love him.

But I'd love Vitters a little more if he were more selective at the plate. So would you.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=78102:date=Jan 30 2010, 07:00 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jan 30 2010, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78092:date=Jan 30 2010, 03:59 PM:name=bz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bz @ Jan 30 2010, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78088:date=Jan 30 2010, 03:48 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jan 30 2010, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78082:date=Jan 30 2010, 02:47 PM:name=bz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bz @ Jan 30 2010, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78079:date=Jan 30 2010, 02:03 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jan 30 2010, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Vitters came in at a high # 30. Apparently he just smokes the hell out of the ball, but has zero patience. (sigh)<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->Getting on base is getting on base. I think the difference lies in what one enjoys watching. I like to see players get hits. I think that is exciting. I <i>do</i> enjoy watching a player work a 6 or 7 pitch at bat for a walk, however. But overall I much would much more enjoy watching a player get a hit.
Beez, What I personally enjoy watching, and what helps builds a winning team, are 2 totally different things. I <i>love</i> watching all the things that are bad for "percentage baseball:" lots of bunts, fat guys trying to steal bases, complete games by dog-tired pitchers, all-or-nothing sluggers who either blast a 450-foot home run or twist themselves into a corkscrew by striking out...that shit is my <i>favorite stuff</i>.

However, at this point, I'd forego enjoying these circus-like pleasures for the far greater pleasure of the Cubs actually winning something.
Would you object to having a guy who has a high OBP based on batting average? Is a player with a .280/.380 line more or less valuable than a player with a .330/380 line?
Object?!
Hell no, I'd embrace it like a mofo. Hits are definitely more valuable than walks. How did you ever get the impression that I don't think hitting a baseball is the single most important thing a player can do?

So, in your example, the guy with the .330/.380 is certainly more valuable than the guy who hits 50 points lower but walks a ton.

Still, you have to admit, patience at the plate is damn valuable. From your example, Vlad is among the most bizarre, unique players in my lifetime. Even his fellow players are constantly telling "Vlad stories" because they've never seen a guy consistently hit balls over his head, and balls that bounce in the dirt, for hits. He's not a remotely good example of anything, because he's a <i>complete</i> outlier.
That's why I love him.

But I'd love Vitters a little more if he were more selective at the plate. So would you.
Fo shizzle.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
I don't think Vitters is really going to change his plate approach. He's a dumbass. But it really sounds like he has a great chance to be a .300 hitter and 20+ hr guy, which i'd be thrilled with.

Meanwhile, I'm watching the Aussie Open and they just had a longest drought thing showing pictures of Bartman and Cubs failure. Its unfuckingavoidable. A fucking tennis match and that asshole Bartman still finds his way on.
@TheBlogfines
Cashner is the new Farnsworth