Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KLaw's minor league rankings out
<!--quoteo(post=77747:date=Jan 27 2010, 04:41 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jan 27 2010, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=77712:date=Jan 27 2010, 02:32 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Jan 27 2010, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=77701:date=Jan 27 2010, 03:14 PM:name=VanSlawAndCottoCheese)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VanSlawAndCottoCheese @ Jan 27 2010, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Whoever said that Wilken can't draft hasn't been paying attention to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That would be Butcher (just kidding dude... kinda).

#7? I'm not sure I agree with it but I'll take it. The Cubs have a long way to go to break into the top 10, I think <b>Law's crazy infatuation with Castro</b> has gone too far IMO. I think next year the Cubs could definitely be in the top 10 as there are some guys on the cusp of breaking out as long as they produce at higher levels.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I think Scarey has that right. I hope Law is correct (and he IS a good judge of talent), but he considers Castro to be superstar material.
Law is hardly alone in that opinion.
Very true. He seems like the real thing. This was from a chat today with Jim Callis, who's pretty highly-informed on all minor-leaguers:
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Wes (Wrigleyville)

Is Starlin Castro the top SS prospect in the minors? top 3?
Jim Callis (2:13 PM)

For me, yes. My top three are Castro, Alcides Escobar and Dee Gordon, with Grant Green right behind Gordon.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
And wasn't Grant Green the #2 guy selected in the whole draft last year, behind Strasburg?
So Castro really <i>was</i> a special find.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
Not to be the guy crapping on Castro again (though I'm actually on board with the others who've said they think he's a great prospect, but the hype has gone off the rails), but I'm not even sure he's the best SS prospect in the <i>Cubs' system</i>, let alone baseball.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=77765:date=Jan 27 2010, 05:13 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Jan 27 2010, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Not to be the guy crapping on Castro again (though I'm actually on board with the others who've said they think he's a great prospect, but the hype has gone off the rails), but I'm not even sure he's the best SS prospect in the <i>Cubs' system</i>, let alone baseball.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was wondering about that. Does anyone know in what way Castro is better than Lee?
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=77821:date=Jan 27 2010, 11:06 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Jan 27 2010, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=77765:date=Jan 27 2010, 05:13 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Jan 27 2010, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Not to be the guy crapping on Castro again (though I'm actually on board with the others who've said they think he's a great prospect, but the hype has gone off the rails), but I'm not even sure he's the best SS prospect in the <i>Cubs' system</i>, let alone baseball.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was wondering about that. Does anyone know in what way Castro is better than Lee?

Castro makes better contact than Lee does, although Lee is no scrub getting the bat on the ball. I believe Castro's defense all around is also better but only by a hair. Lee is gonna have to make some noise at higher levels before he gets into the best shortstop in the minors category.
<!--quoteo(post=77823:date=Jan 27 2010, 10:11 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Jan 27 2010, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=77821:date=Jan 27 2010, 11:06 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Jan 27 2010, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=77765:date=Jan 27 2010, 05:13 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Jan 27 2010, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Not to be the guy crapping on Castro again (though I'm actually on board with the others who've said they think he's a great prospect, but the hype has gone off the rails), but I'm not even sure he's the best SS prospect in the <i>Cubs' system</i>, let alone baseball.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Castro makes better contact than Lee does, although Lee is no scrub getting the bat on the ball. I believe Castro's defense all around is also better but only by a hair. Lee is gonna have to make some noise at higher levels before he gets into the best shortstop in the minors category.

Castro is more advanced and plays better defense, no doubt. Lee is thought to be a better athlete, though, and is the fastest kid in the system. He is also expected to hit for a higher average than Castro.

No, I wouldn't put Lee ahead of Castro - just to be clear - but it's certainly a fair discussion, no?
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=77840:date=Jan 28 2010, 07:37 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Jan 28 2010, 07:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=77823:date=Jan 27 2010, 10:11 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Jan 27 2010, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=77821:date=Jan 27 2010, 11:06 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Jan 27 2010, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=77765:date=Jan 27 2010, 05:13 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Jan 27 2010, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Not to be the guy crapping on Castro again (though I'm actually on board with the others who've said they think he's a great prospect, but the hype has gone off the rails), but I'm not even sure he's the best SS prospect in the <i>Cubs' system</i>, let alone baseball.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Castro is more advanced and plays better defense, no doubt. Lee is thought to be a better athlete, though, and is the fastest kid in the system. He is also expected to hit for a higher average than Castro.

No, I wouldn't put Lee ahead of Castro - just to be clear - but it's certainly a fair discussion, no?

I'm not sure where you've heard that Lee will hit for a higher average. Yes, he will leg out more infield singles than Castro, but Castro's biggest asset is his batting average where as Lee tends to strike out much more and will take a walk to hold his OBP up. I'm not saying you're wrong and I understand Lee hit .330 in his debut at Boise last year, just that I've heard otherwise.
Could Lee be better? Yep
Is there a reasonable debate at this time? Nope
I wonder if it's inevitable that one of them will be moved to 2B. Or traded.
It's nice to have an embarrassment of riches at the SS position, down on the farm.
<!--quoteo(post=77869:date=Jan 28 2010, 11:21 AM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jan 28 2010, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I wonder if it's inevitable that one of them will be moved to 2B. Or traded.
It's nice to have an embarrassment of riches at the SS position, down on the farm.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It would be a waste because both of them are well thought of as shortstops. Both have great range and strong arms. I have heard speculation that Lee could move to center field, but if they both turn into stud shortstops, I think you HAVE to trade one. The value of a young shortstop that is able to field and hit the ball can bring back too much not to deal him.
<!--quoteo(post=77870:date=Jan 28 2010, 10:24 AM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Jan 28 2010, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=77869:date=Jan 28 2010, 11:21 AM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jan 28 2010, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I wonder if it's inevitable that one of them will be moved to 2B. Or traded.
It's nice to have an embarrassment of riches at the SS position, down on the farm.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It would be a waste because both of them are well thought of as shortstops. Both have great range and strong arms. I have heard speculation that Lee could move to center field, but if they both turn into stud shortstops, I think you HAVE to trade one. The value of a young shortstop that is able to field and hit the ball can bring back too much not to deal him.

If they are both studs why would it be a waste to move on of them to 2nd? I don't understand the reasoning. They would be cheap options that would theoretically play great defense up the middle. If these guys end up being as good as some think they could be top of the order hitters for years. The money we save paying them cheaply could give us payroll flexibility to go after key FA's in the years to come.

<!--quoteo(post=77873:date=Jan 28 2010, 11:41 AM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ Jan 28 2010, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=77870:date=Jan 28 2010, 10:24 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Jan 28 2010, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=77869:date=Jan 28 2010, 11:21 AM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jan 28 2010, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I wonder if it's inevitable that one of them will be moved to 2B. Or traded.

If they are both studs why would it be a waste to move on of them to 2nd? I don't understand the reasoning. They would be cheap options that would theoretically play great defense up the middle. If these guys end up being as good as some think they could be top of the order hitters for years. The money we save paying them cheaply could give us payroll flexibility to go after key FA's in the years to come.
My guess is, in theory, that a stud shortstop could net you a stud 2B *and* a stud (some other position that isn't catcher or SP). And if we have a stud shortstop already, then we'd be better off trading the extra one instead of weakening his value by moving him to a less skilled position.

In theory.
<!--quoteo(post=77880:date=Jan 28 2010, 01:02 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jan 28 2010, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=77873:date=Jan 28 2010, 11:41 AM:name=Runnys)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runnys @ Jan 28 2010, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=77870:date=Jan 28 2010, 10:24 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Jan 28 2010, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=77869:date=Jan 28 2010, 11:21 AM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jan 28 2010, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I wonder if it's inevitable that one of them will be moved to 2B. Or traded.

My guess is, in theory, that a stud shortstop could net you a stud 2B *and* a stud (some other position that isn't catcher or SP). And if we have a stud shortstop already, then we'd be better off trading the extra one instead of weakening his value by moving him to a less skilled position.

In theory.

Exactly. Good 2nd basemen aren't as hard to find as good shortstops. People kill for good defensive shortstops that can hit.
Let's just pray it becomes an issue. Bear in mind we also have Ryan Flaherty who may not end up at SS, but will hopefully have a big bat.

Law's top 100 came out, and the Cubs placed 4 guys on it.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.