Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theriot Deadfished
<!--quoteo(post=82516:date=Mar 12 2010, 04:19 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Mar 12 2010, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Here's a question....if Baker/Fontenot experiment ends up sucking (which it probably will) do Hendry and Piniella bring up Castro and move Theriot to second at some point this season? I would prefer he stay in the minors this year, but isn't this something they would do?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, but it's a matter of degree. It would have to be pretty sucky for pretty long.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
What I see happening, is around June (when they have successfully sucked an extra year out of Castro with his Arbitration years) Castro will be called up and Theriot will be moved over to second base with Fontenot and Baker being two of the bench players.
Sounds like Castro is not going to be rushed after all...

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->4/2 Minor matters

Expect shortstop Starlin Castro to open the season at Double-A Tennessee along with pitcher Andrew Cashner. Darwin Barney, who impressed the big league staff this spring, will be assigned to Triple-A Iowa. The Cubs are finalizing Minor League assignments for their players this week. The Class A Daytona team should be good -- outfielder Brett Jackson was expected to open the season there.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I assume that this means Barney is our insurance policy if Fontenot sucks or Theriot gets injured.
Good. Glad to see he's starting with the Smokies, as he didn't exactly tear it up there last year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

<!--quoteo(post=85603:date=Apr 2 2010, 11:21 AM:name=biggz)-->QUOTE (biggz @ Apr 2 2010, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Good. Glad to see he's starting with the Smokies, as he didn't exactly tear it up there last year.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

.288/.347/.396 is pretty fuckin good. The only thing he needs to improve on really is his power and I don't think that's a main objective in his development at this time. I agree that he should be at AA though. There's not really much difference between AA and AAA, but Barney needs time on the field too and it's not hindering Castro to be in AA because he only had a little over 100 ABs last year there.

Anyway, here's a list from Arizona Phil on where players currently stand in minor league camp. These could change a little bit to fill out rosters, but for the most part should be set.

http://www.thecubreporter.com/2010/03/31/u...ue-camp-rosters
Let's also remember that he put up those numbers in AA as a 19-year-old! I think some people forget that this guy is playing way above his age right now. Most guys his age are still in single-A and not even being talked about as replacements for the major league roster.
I'd like the OBP to be a little higher, but I forgot it's different when you talk about minor leaguers, as, to my knowledge, a lot of them don't usually have a OBP corresponding to their ability. So, very true, Scarey.

Good point also, Runnys. Crazy to think this kid is younger than me.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

<!--quoteo(post=85609:date=Apr 2 2010, 12:05 PM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ Apr 2 2010, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Let's also remember that he put up those numbers in AA as a 19-year-old! I think some people forget that this guy is playing way above his age right now. Most guys his age are still in single-A and not even being talked about as replacements for the major league roster.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually, Starlin has officially passed his teen years. Turned 20 on March 24th. Next year he can celebrate wins by drinking a few beers with his teamates! Until then it's kiddy cocktails all the way.