Sons of Ivy
Theriot Deadfished - Printable Version

+- Sons of Ivy (https://sonsofivy.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chicago Cubs (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Friendly Confines (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Theriot Deadfished (/thread-5691.html)

Pages: 1 2

Theriot Deadfished - BackyardLegend - 02-23-2010

LINK

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->This is so Cubs. According to Paul Sullivan's column in the Sunday Trib, Ryan Theriot has been told he will lose his starting position when the Cubs think that top prospect Starlin Castro is ready to play every day.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So an unhappy Theriot traded at the deadline?

Theriot Deadfished - Coach - 02-23-2010

What a stupid article.

Theriot Deadfished - rok - 02-23-2010

That's old news. He already said he would step aside and move over to 2B when the time came.

Theriot Deadfished - jstraw - 02-23-2010

<!--quoteo(post=80402:date=Feb 23 2010, 08:14 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Feb 23 2010, 08:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->That's old news. He already said he would step aside and move over to 2B when the time came.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can't imagine my relief at hearing this. I was terribly worried that Castro would have to fight him for it.

Theriot Deadfished - BackyardLegend - 02-23-2010

I guess I didn't realize how shoddy Castro's defense had been.

Theriot Deadfished - 1060Ivy - 02-23-2010

I may not play for the Cubs but I know that I can be replaced when a cheaper/better alternative is available so have should I expect to be traded by my employer/wife/friends/dog?

Sorry but the situation that Theriot is dealing with is a common scenario that most athletes are aware of and must deal with some point in their career. How they deal with it is another story. Hopefully, Theriot can deal with it professionally and will use the competition to improve himself.

Theriot Deadfished - Coach - 02-23-2010

Castro's defense hasn't been great, but he has loads more potential there than Theriot.

Theriot Deadfished - Butcher - 02-23-2010

This is a non-story. Sullivan is a douche.

When Castro is ready (personally, I hope we don't see him until the roster expands), Theriot will move to 2B, where he should be anyway. This isn't news -- everyone has known this ever since Castro started getting hyped.

Theriot Deadfished - Scarey - 02-23-2010

<!--quoteo(post=80417:date=Feb 23 2010, 11:20 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Feb 23 2010, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This is a non-story. Sullivan is a douche.

When Castro is ready (personally, I hope we don't see him until the roster expands), Theriot will move to 2B, where he should be anyway. This isn't news -- everyone has known this ever since Castro started getting hyped.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It wasn't Sullivan. Must be either Sullivan's protege or Theriot's lover.

The guy obviously knows nothing in terms of prospects. Errors in the low minors is hardly a barometer of anything. The fields aren't well taken care of especially in the FSL where I'm sure the fields are swamps. Castro had 32 of his 39 errors while playing in Daytona.

Theriot Deadfished - rok - 02-23-2010

It wasn't Sully, but this douche based the entire premise of his article on a blurb from Sully's latest pile of Sunday poop, which was old news already when he reported it for the 5th time.

Theriot Deadfished - kbwsb - 02-25-2010

A couple minor league gurus think that Castro himself may wind up at 2nd base, because Hak-Ju Lee is apparantly sparkling with the glove at short.

Theriot Deadfished - givejonadollar - 03-12-2010

I'm glad people are realizing that Starlin isn't there defensively as of yet.

Theriot still leaves a lot to be desired, but if Starlin can't play everyday, at 19, go ahead and develop him a bit more.

Not to mention, our pitchers will lose confidence if we are not strong up the middle. I wish we were stronger than Font and Riot, but internal options are not much better minus Blanco.

Theriot Deadfished - Scarey - 03-12-2010

<!--quoteo(post=82483:date=Mar 12 2010, 12:56 PM:name=givejonadollar)-->QUOTE (givejonadollar @ Mar 12 2010, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm glad people are realizing that Starlin isn't there defensively as of yet.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

While I do not want Starlin playing in the bigs yet, he is without a doubt ready to play defensively at shortstop and would be a major improvement over Theriot there. Not sure why anyone thinks that his error total from A+ ball should tell the story of his defense.

Elvis Andrus
Check out Andrus' error totals in A+ and AA ball. He was regarded by both defensive matrics and scouts as the best fielding shortstop in the AL last year.

Theriot Deadfished - funkster - 03-12-2010

Here's a question....if Baker/Fontenot experiment ends up sucking (which it probably will) do Hendry and Piniella bring up Castro and move Theriot to second at some point this season? I would prefer he stay in the minors this year, but isn't this something they would do?

Theriot Deadfished - AnnoCatuli - 03-12-2010

Theriot said he would move when the time came, but he would not give up his position of ShortStop. he said Castro would have to take it from him.

He is more than willing to play second, but not until Castro takes his spot.