Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Parisi
Since this guy is our Rule-5 signing, does he have a spot on the roster or will he be shipped back to St. Louis?

He's been in 3 games thus far, going 5 innings. He's given up 2 hits, 1 of them a hr, 1 BB and 4 k's.
I got nothin'.

Andy
I'm very intrigued by both Parisi and Diamond, especially the latter after watching him on Friday's game. Very good stuff.
Parisi's numbers have never been impressive, however I don't know his full story. Has he overcome injuries? Adjusted his mechanics? Added a new pitch? If any of these are true, it's possible that the Cubs scouts picked up on it and grabbed a sleeper from St. Louis. Either way, Parisi has a lot to prove still to make the opening day roster. He's pitched well so far, but he'll have to turn in a Patton-esque spring to have a shot.

Diamond has had me intrigued since the Cubs signed him as a minor league free agent last year. He was a top prospect at one time so I'm hopefull that he's turned it around.
<!--quoteo(post=82810:date=Mar 15 2010, 10:53 AM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Mar 15 2010, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Parisi's numbers have never been impressive, however I don't know his full story. Has he overcome injuries? Adjusted his mechanics? Added a new pitch? If any of these are true, it's possible that the Cubs scouts picked up on it and grabbed a sleeper from St. Louis. Either way, Parisi has a lot to prove still to make the opening day roster. He's pitched well so far, but he'll have to turn in a Patton-esque spring to have a shot.

Diamond has had me intrigued since the Cubs signed him as a minor league free agent last year. He was a top prospect at one time so I'm hopefull that he's turned it around.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Same here. He's still fairly young too isn't he?

Edit: Just checked. He will turn 27 in April. And aside from injuries, this guy was a top prospect in baseball up until 2006.
I think Parisi will get more of a chance than a guy who wasn't picked in the rule V draft, but I don't think they are going to send down someone significantly better, simply in hopes of being able to keep Parisi.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
In order for the Cubs to keep Parisi, he must spend the whole season as a part of the 25 man roster. If he doesn't, he must be sent back to the team he came from, or you can work out some sort of a trade... usually cash works.

However, they can give him the David Patton treatment. Burry him in the bullpen, using him in mop up duty or give him an injury (which they also did with Patton) and let him sit out the season on the 15 day DL (which would technically keep him on the 25 man roster).
Patton was barely able to handle mop up duty last year and is back down in AA to begin this year which is where he belonged last year.

If Parisi can help the team this year, he'll stay on the 25 man roster but I can't see Lou dealing with another potential Rule 5 handicapping his roster for a second year.

<!--quoteo(post=82822:date=Mar 15 2010, 11:42 AM:name=AnnoCatuli)-->QUOTE (AnnoCatuli @ Mar 15 2010, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->In order for the Cubs to keep Parisi, he must spend the whole season as a part of the 25 man roster. If he doesn't, he must be sent back to the team he came from, or you can work out some sort of a trade... usually cash works.

However, they can give him the David Patton treatment. Burry him in the bullpen, using him in mop up duty or give him an injury (which they also did with Patton) and let him sit out the season on the 15 day DL (which would technically keep him on the 25 man roster).<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Great. Now which way do the players run bases? Clockwise or counter?
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
<!--quoteo(post=82837:date=Mar 15 2010, 03:27 PM:name=bz)-->QUOTE (bz @ Mar 15 2010, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=82822:date=Mar 15 2010, 11:42 AM:name=AnnoCatuli)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AnnoCatuli @ Mar 15 2010, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->In order for the Cubs to keep Parisi, he must spend the whole season as a part of the 25 man roster. If he doesn't, he must be sent back to the team he came from, or you can work out some sort of a trade... usually cash works.

However, they can give him the David Patton treatment. Burry him in the bullpen, using him in mop up duty or give him an injury (which they also did with Patton) and let him sit out the season on the 15 day DL (which would technically keep him on the 25 man roster).<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=82837:date=Mar 15 2010, 03:27 PM:name=bz)-->QUOTE (bz @ Mar 15 2010, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=82822:date=Mar 15 2010, 11:42 AM:name=AnnoCatuli)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AnnoCatuli @ Mar 15 2010, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->In order for the Cubs to keep Parisi, he must spend the whole season as a part of the 25 man roster. If he doesn't, he must be sent back to the team he came from, or you can work out some sort of a trade... usually cash works.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] Exactly what I was thinking. This isn't this first time I read one of his posts and thought that either. Anno...you gotta realize the people here know what they are talking about as much or more than you do. It's time to stop talking to us like we are third graders. The shit is getting old.

that would be clockwise [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/teh.gif[/img]
<!--quoteo(post=82841:date=Mar 15 2010, 03:47 PM:name=stevestonescigar)-->QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ Mar 15 2010, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=82837:date=Mar 15 2010, 03:27 PM:name=bz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bz @ Mar 15 2010, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=82822:date=Mar 15 2010, 11:42 AM:name=AnnoCatuli)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AnnoCatuli @ Mar 15 2010, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->In order for the Cubs to keep Parisi, he must spend the whole season as a part of the 25 man roster. If he doesn't, he must be sent back to the team he came from, or you can work out some sort of a trade... usually cash works.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] Exactly what I was thinking. This isn't this first time I read one of his posts and thought that either. Anno...you gotta realize the people here know what they are talking about as much or more than you do. It's time to stop talking to us like we are third graders. The shit is getting old.

Don't take this the wrong way AC, we're glad to have you aboard, but Cigar and BZ have a point... BZ can just be a dick in the delivery of that point.

BTW [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/spit.gif[/img]
<!--quoteo(post=82841:date=Mar 15 2010, 03:47 PM:name=stevestonescigar)-->QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ Mar 15 2010, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] Exactly what I was thinking. This isn't this first time I read one of his posts and thought that either. Anno...you gotta realize the people here know what they are talking about as much or more than you do. It's time to stop talking to us like we are third graders. The shit is getting old.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Forgive me then if thats how you think I am talking to you. In this instance, I guess that I misunderstood what he was asking. Wouldn't be the first time, wont be the last.

I know that you guys know your baseball, I am not an idiot despite what you or anyone else may or may not feel or think.

Was I talking down to you? No, I wasn't intending that to be the case. However, if thats how you took it, so be it.
<!--quoteo(post=82848:date=Mar 15 2010, 04:08 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Mar 15 2010, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Don't take this the wrong way AC, we're glad to have you aboard, but Cigar and BZ have a point... BZ can just be a dick in the delivery of that point.

BTW [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/spit.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Shit, that doesn't piss me off. I deal with a ton of dicks on the Chicago Bears board I help Mod on. Re-reading it, I can see their point, but that wasn't what I was intending. As I statedin my last reply, I just minunderstood what he was asking.
Anno, I think the point is that anyone that wants to know how Rule V works can Google it...or can ask, 'hey, anyone got the verbiage on Rule 5 handy?'

But when you <i>explain how Rule V works to us</i> it would be condescending and a bit insulting, if it weren't kinda comical...not because everyone on SOI knows everything about how transactions work (I only ever read Rule V in the last few months) but because we all have the same access to the information.