Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zambrano
If Z goes back the pen, this organization has given me the final proof that it has no idea how to run a team.
http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/4279
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->--Lou held a 15-minute team meeting at 3:45 this afternoon. In it, he said he opened the floor to criticism of his managing style.

“This was a time I felt we needed to talk about some things,” Lou said. “We had very open discussion where players got involved. I’m not going to divulge what we talked about, but one of the things we did was the fallout from yesterday.

“Part of it is to get their input, yeah. I told them that if they wanted to criticize me as a manager, so be it. I want what’s best for this organization. I want to win baseball games. They had some things like posting the (next day’s) lineup at a little earlier times.

“The whole thing here basically is to stick together and to play hard and be aggressive and take it to the other team.”

--Randy said the Cubs sent a letter to Major League Baseball Friday night about Zambrano’s suspension. The Cubs also say owner Tom Ricketts has been kept apprised of developments, and Randy added there could be a “sit-down” this coming week involving Ricketts and the baseball people regarding Zambrano.

--Asked if the Cubs had considered trading Zambrano, Randy said: “We haven’t given any kind of thought to that yet. Ozzie said in the paper yesterday he’d like to have him. No, we haven’t.”

--On Z’s dinner with Ozzie, Randy said: “I’m disappointed in that from Carlos’ perspective. Nothing against Ozzie. I think the world of Ozzie. I would have thought that with the events of yesterday, Carlos would have gone home, spent some time reflecting on what happened, thought about his career and his teammates and maybe where he was at. I’m disappointed he was out yucking it up at dinner.”

--Lou reiterated the need for Zambrano to apologize to his teammates. That will be only the beginning. When pitcher Ted Lilly was asked if Z could pitch again for the Cubs, he said: “He’s certainly physically capable of (it).”<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->“Part of it is to get their input, yeah. I told them that if they wanted to criticize me as a manager, so be it. I want what’s best for this organization.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow. Is this guy done, or what?
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/ne...id=5331229
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->"I asked what happened, and he told me exactly what happened," Guillen said before Saturday's game. "He said he was upset with the team. That's it.

"I told him what to do. ... 'Face it like a man. Don't turn your back on this problem. Face it like a man and move on.' What are they going to do, trade him, release him, suspend him? At least when you face it like a man and admit you were wrong, everything moves on. He didn't kill anybody. We cannot criticize this kid for that. That's the way he is. Carlos has his own way. That's the intensity this kid brings."

Piniella said he expects Zambrano will face it like a man, but Piniella also said he would have preferred Zambrano spend Friday night in private, reflecting on the incident.

Sox general manager Ken Williams admitted that having his manager go out for dinner with an opposing player could be tricky.

"In an ordinary situation, yes [the dinner is peculiar], and I might feel compelled to pick up the phone and call the opposing GM," Williams said on "Talkin' Baseball" on ESPN 1000. "But Jim is very well aware of the relationship those two gentlemen have, and I think is also aware of the positive influence that Ozzie can have on his friend. It's not about baseball, it's about friends.

"Ozzie would be quick to tell you that Carlos Zambrano is one of the finest people he knows in his life. Out of the uniform [he's] a little different than the type of guy you saw on display yesterday."

Williams believes Guillen can have a positive influence on Zambrano.

"I view that [dinner], and I'm sure Jim does as well -- if he doesn't, someone needs to let me know and I will speak on the situation -- but I view that as nothing but a positive. ... Ozzie probably had some things that I'm sure the Cubs and Lou and Jim would have liked to have said to Carlos, that he was able to say in a much different way and probably get through to him."

Guillen said he didn't want to spoil Zambrano's dinner by harping on the incident.

"He was wrong," Guillen said. "He never said he was right, at least to me. He knew he was wrong. He overreacted.

"I talked to him about talking to his people and making everything straight up with Lou and the general manager. To me, it was fun. We talked about a lot of different things. Carlos knows he made a mistake and will take care of it."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Ozzie's notion of 'finest people'...that's almost amusing.
I love how the Sox are being so kind and generous, offering to help fix all of our problems. How awfully big of them.
Fox just showed a clip from yesterday's tantrum and Z's mouth was blurred...I guess all of the sudden lip reading is an issue.
Can things get any worse? Oh, and if anyone wants my bleacher tickets for 8/22, they can have them. I'm thinking of coming in a week early for the air and water show.
I'm 100% fine with this. I'm just glad there's an actual plan in place that isn't, "Let's load up on retreads and hope we get lucky." I'm a little tired of that plan.

Butcher
So Lou is asking his players for a job critque? Really? What a fucking mess.
Wang.
All the voting is really going to slow games down.
<!--quoteo(post=103165:date=Jun 26 2010, 09:24 PM:name=Lance)-->QUOTE (Lance @ Jun 26 2010, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Can things get any worse? Oh, and if anyone wants my bleacher tickets for 8/22, they can have them. I'm thinking of coming in a week early for the air and water show.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Send cigar a message, he might want them.
<!--quoteo(post=103052:date=Jun 26 2010, 09:25 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 26 2010, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Is it just me, or are we the only team in baseball that this kind of shit happens to on such a regular basis? Maybe it just seems that way because the Cubs are the only team I follow this closely.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<b>Zambrano's tantrum S.O.P. for Cubs</b>
By Rob Neyer
Brilliant:
"Boy, every time we come here," Piniella joked.

It's good that Piniella can joke about it. It's good that Piniella can joke about the second time in two years that a high-visibility, well-paid player had to be sent home in the middle of a season.<b> It's good that Piniella can joke about something that almost never happens in other organizations (let alone solid organizations).</b> It's good that Piniella can joke about Zambrano's second dugout fight in three years.

I don't know. Seems to me that <b>while Zambrano's obviously got some anger issues, the Cubs also have some management issues.</b> Their general manager keeps committing gobs of money to players who can't control their tempers, and their manager just throws up his hands and makes jokes.

None of it matters much this season. But I'll bet next spring we see an "Under New Management" sign.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=103170:date=Jun 26 2010, 09:37 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jun 26 2010, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103052:date=Jun 26 2010, 09:25 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 26 2010, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Is it just me, or are we the only team in baseball that this kind of shit happens to on such a regular basis? Maybe it just seems that way because the Cubs are the only team I follow this closely.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<b>Zambrano's tantrum S.O.P. for Cubs</b>
By Rob Neyer
Brilliant:
"Boy, every time we come here," Piniella joked.

It's good that Piniella can joke about it. It's good that Piniella can joke about the second time in two years that a high-visibility, well-paid player had to be sent home in the middle of a season.<b> It's good that Piniella can joke about something that almost never happens in other organizations (let alone solid organizations).</b> It's good that Piniella can joke about Zambrano's second dugout fight in three years.

I don't know. Seems to me that <b>while Zambrano's obviously got some anger issues, the Cubs also have some management issues.</b> Their general manager keeps committing gobs of money to players who can't control their tempers, and their manager just throws up his hands and makes jokes.

None of it matters much this season. But I'll bet next spring we see an "Under New Management" sign.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Baseball writers never let the truth get in the way of a story. There was no fight yesterday.
Yeah, right.

Nothing to see here. Nothing at all.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=103174:date=Jun 26 2010, 09:56 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jun 26 2010, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Yeah, right.

Nothing to see here. Nothing at all.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
There was no fight. Zambrano was yelling and stomping around like a maniac. Lee was being a pussy bitch. Lou was walking around like a drunken buffoon. Nothing physical.