Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zambrano
It's kind of funny how the White Sox win one World Series in 100 years and suddenly they're the embodiment of a winning franchise. The easy answer for Cubs fans is to just jump ship and start cheering for the Sox, right? Fuck, I wish 2005 never happened.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->I liked the night games (working full time by then) and the fans seemed to know more about baseball. I know this is a sore point with Cub fans but I mean that Sox fans stayed away when the team was crap. Cub fans all take their kids or party like crazy and many (except for you diehards) don't care about the bad product served up to you.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
If it's OK to stereotype Cubs fans, then I'll continue to go ahead and stick with my stereotype of Sox fans.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->never kissed my sister on the lips<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
How about your first cousin?

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->I am not here to trash talk<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah. I can tell. You're just here to provide a public service. Invite us all to jump ship, kind of like you did. Right? Reap all the glorious rewards that come with being a Sox fan? Two weeks ago, Sox fans were all bitching and moaning about Ozzie, KW, and everyone else. It's funny what winning 10 in a row does to the fans' attitudes...

Thanks for stopping by.
Just out of curiosity, are you still living on the Northside, Chitown?
<!--quoteo(post=103080:date=Jun 26 2010, 11:18 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 26 2010, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Just out of curiosity, are you still living on the Northside, Chitown?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, lived in Chicago over 45 years, all north and northwest, had to move for work, first to Indiana and then to Arizona. I follow the sports where I live but Chicago teams are #1.
Never lived on the SS, but went to school at first Northwestern and graduated from DePaul, the city was my campus. Still many realtives there, all Cub fans.

While I like the fact the Sox are better than the Cubs most years, it would actually be more fun for all of us if both teams were good. And in the same division, like RedSox and Yankees, except better.Cubs and Sox are in the same town, Yanks and redSox are not. We would have a better rivalry, whereas now it's just trash talk except for a few Crosstown games.

I admit I didn't follow the Sox much until June. My son runs in college so I was more into that, and the Blackhawks, and a little bit of NBA. And they were stinking it up.
But I did get to see them in Tucson for one of the last spring training games to be held there (Rockies and DBacks move to Phoenix area next year).

<!--quoteo(post=103079:date=Jun 26 2010, 11:12 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 26 2010, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's kind of funny how the White Sox win one World Series in 100 years and suddenly they're the embodiment of a winning franchise. The easy answer for Cubs fans is to just jump ship and start cheering for the Sox, right? Fuck, I wish 2005 never happened.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->I liked the night games (working full time by then) and the fans seemed to know more about baseball. I know this is a sore point with Cub fans but I mean that Sox fans stayed away when the team was crap. Cub fans all take their kids or party like crazy and many (except for you diehards) don't care about the bad product served up to you.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
If it's OK to stereotype Cubs fans, then I'll continue to go ahead and stick with my stereotype of Sox fans.

Is my point wrong that Cub fans go to games no matter how bad th eteam is? Is it a stereotype if it's true?

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->never kissed my sister on the lips<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, but he was cute.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->I am not here to trash talk<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah. I can tell. You're just here to provide a public service. Invite us all to jump ship, kind of like you did. Right? Reap all the glorious rewards that come with being a Sox fan? Two weeks ago, Sox fans were all bitching and moaning about Ozzie, KW, and everyone else. It's funny what winning 10 in a row does to the fans' attitudes...
Is it jumping ship if I was a fan of both teams as a kid and made a choice over 40 years ago? Do you just mouth words or read for comprehension too? Now I'm trash talking.
Thanks for stopping by.

You're welcome
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->While I like the fact the Sox are better than the Cubs most years<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Since 1983 (in case you accuse me of cherry-picking stats, I chose '83 because the Sox made the playoffs that year and there was a long drought for both teams previous to '83 and '84), the Sox have made the playoffs 5 times. The Cubs have made the playoffs 6 times.

So, I know you guys like to think that you're the Yankees because you won it all in 2005, but for the most part, you're just as shitty as the Cubs.
Again -- if you're not here to trash talk, what's your purpose?

Oh, right. You just wanted to get our take on Zambrano. And then pepper us with little jabs about how we can end our World Series drought and be more like the White Sox. Got it.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Repercussions from Carlos Zambrano tirade: Cubs will likely make roster move Sat to add a fresh arm. Expect Jeff Stevens to go to Minors<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=103078:date=Jun 26 2010, 12:56 PM:name=Chitown)-->QUOTE (Chitown @ Jun 26 2010, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103042:date=Jun 26 2010, 07:09 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Jun 26 2010, 07:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I don't think I've ever lost interest in a season as early as I did this one. Thank God I chose not to watch yesterday's game.

I never thought this day would come, but I'm beginning to hate the Cubs. There is no light at the end of the tunnel. This team, this organization is infected to the very core. The poison has leaked into every crevice. There is no hope. There never will be. 102 years of the same thing over and over and over and over. It's past the point of no return.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Let me get one thing out of the way. I am a former Cub fan. When I was young Cubs and Sox were on local TV (WGN) and I would watch the end of the games for both teams, though I seem to remember Cubs were on more often , probably due to day games. I was, in my naive youth, a fan of both teams. Of course, you can't really be a fan of both.

FF to 1969. I'm 21, have a GF who is crazy about the Cubs. Went to 30 or 40 games, mostly left or CF bleachers, you know, the rest. Crazy summer, only to be crushed as usual by the Cubs folding. The way I remember it the Cubs dealt part of the team, the magic of '69 was gone and I became a Sox fan. Tired of losing and having the park be the star attraction. Bill Veeck was back in town about then, I liked the night games (working full time by then) and the fans seemed to know more about baseball. I know this is a sore point with Cub fans but I mean that Sox fans stayed away when the team was crap. Cub fans all take their kids or party like crazy and many (except for you diehards) don't care about the bad product served up to you.

I am not here to trash talk, I just looked up a Cub forum for the first time ever because I wanted to see what you all thought about Zambrano. We don't want him. Ozzie is just being loyal to another Venezuelan.

Anyway, I saw verzyer's remarks and just wanted to comment that if all Cub fans would feel the same way he does the "infected" franchise might actually change.

Most days I don't hate the Cubs or their fans, I sorta feel sorry for your plight.
I changed allegiance over 40 years ago, still time for some of you to do the same.

I do have some suggestions on how to break the WS winless streak
1. Blow up Wrigley. It's a cute little dump, but if the Yankees can blow up Yankee Stadium after winning like 27 WS titles, get rid of Wrigley. It's like living in a house that is supposed to be haunted, and even though you don't believe in ghosts, you're a little nervous because bad, unexplainable things keep happening. Oh, and it's a dump

2. Maybe the team needs a new nickname. I cannot think of any other team in sports that has a diminutive animal as a mascot.

3. Instead of hating on Ozzie and AJ, you might want to find a few guys like them for your team.( AJ can under people's skin, but he's a helluva catcher, has a reasonable to good bat and no less than Ken Griffey, Jr. thinks he was great in the clubhouse. Ever hear any of his Sox teammates hate on AJ?)
Paulie too is so solid. What Derek Lee should be. And a real starting pitching staff.

BTW, to the poster that sterotypes WS fans...I'm a Northsider. College educated just like you. Professional just like you. But I love the salt of the earth Sox fans. Deep down I'm one of them (never kissed my sister on the lips or ran on the field either)

I made this a long post to get it all out at once as I am sure I will get slammed and don't want to deal with it. It is just seemed to be a time when Cub fans might actually be ready to be rational. Nah......what was I thinking?
Fuck you and leave.
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=103085:date=Jun 26 2010, 11:46 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 26 2010, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->I am not here to trash talk<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh, right. You just wanted to get our take on Zambrano. And then pepper us with little jabs about how we can end our World Series drought and be more like the White Sox. Got it.

Well, I actually gave my opinion on what the Cubs could do to get better. The little jabs should be expected, we're Chicago sports fans.
But I was also agreeing with some of the posters that thought a wholesale change of attitude was needed. You have anything constructive to say? How can the Cubs get better? Doing more of the same isn't working. When you get rid of Z, who will be the next to get frustrated?
There are other bad teams in MLB like the Pirates and KC but they don't have the money the Cubs do. With a loyal, nationwide, fan base, and tons of money, just what is the problem? The Cubs own Chicago as far as baseball. Could it just be that the owners think Wrigley Field is the draw and the fans don't vote otherwise? Who is going to pay that $45M owed Zambrano? You are.

Nice stat about most playoff appearances since '83 but you would trade all 6 for one WS ring. You know you would. But the stat is all you've got. You know that when the Cubs finally win one you will cherish it just like Sox fans cherish 2005 and Cub fans will all lord it over Sox fans for being the most recent winner. That's the way it's supposed to be.

Brian Schlitter up, Jeff Stevens down.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
/quote]
Fuck you and leave.
[/quote]

Good day to you too, sir. Bye
<!--quoteo(post=103079:date=Jun 26 2010, 01:12 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 26 2010, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's kind of funny how the White Sox win one World Series in 100 years and suddenly they're the embodiment of a winning franchise. The easy answer for Cubs fans is to just jump ship and start cheering for the Sox, right? Fuck, I wish 2005 never happened.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->I liked the night games (working full time by then) and the fans seemed to know more about baseball. I know this is a sore point with Cub fans but I mean that Sox fans stayed away when the team was crap. Cub fans all take their kids or party like crazy and many (except for you diehards) don't care about the bad product served up to you.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for stopping by.
Butch I think this is your finest moment. DEAD ON.

My ex gf is a Sox fan that I started dating at the beginning of the '05 season from the south suburbs. When I first met her her only opinion regarding baseball was "I like both teams, but I grew up a Sox fan". That was the sum total of her interest in baseball. After the '05 she became super Sox fan#1. These days I still have her on facebook and she takes any chance she can possibly get to talk shit. If I respond, I'm jealous and playing the "Cubs fan martyr". Its incredible how many "winning baseball" experts follow the southsiders these days. Give me a break.

I hate to turn this into yet another Sox/Cubs thing but fuck Chitown's post really annoys me. Who do you think you are? Seriously what is your purpose other than trolling? Thanks for all the advice buddy. Did you really suggest changing the team's name to something less un-ferocious might increase the chances of winning? Seriously?
<!--quoteo(post=103089:date=Jun 26 2010, 02:55 PM:name=Chitown)-->QUOTE (Chitown @ Jun 26 2010, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103085:date=Jun 26 2010, 11:46 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 26 2010, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->I am not here to trash talk<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nice stat about most playoff appearances since '83 but you would trade all 6 for one WS ring.
You're the one who claimed that Sox are better almost every year right? So when he comes up with evidence you dismiss it with this? Typical. He directly challenges your claim and you counter with that.
Wow. I'm not sure where I should even start.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->You have anything constructive to say? How can the Cubs get better? Doing more of the same isn't working.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I do have ideas on how the Cubs can get better. I'd like to think that my ideas are better than changing the name of the team and getting a guy like AJ Pierzynksi on the roster (who was universally hated and essentially run out of town by his teammates in San Francisco, by the way -- sound like anyone else we've been discussing in this thread?).

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Nice stat about most playoff appearances since '83 but you would trade all 6 for one WS ring. You know you would.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Of course I would. But that wasn't part of the discussion. I was responding to your claim that the Sox are usually better than the Cubs. I was offering a counterpoint. That's how arguments work. They don't typically unfold like:

"The sky is purple."
"I'm pretty sure the sky is blue -- here's a photo to support my argument."
"Clouds are white, and you know it!
<!--quoteo(post=103096:date=Jun 26 2010, 03:30 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 26 2010, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Nice stat about most playoff appearances since '83 but you would trade all 6 for one WS ring. You know you would.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Of course I would. But that wasn't part of the discussion. I was responding to your claim that the Sox are usually better than the Cubs. I was offering a counterpoint. That's how arguments work. They don't typically unfold like:

"The sky is purple."
"I'm pretty sure the sky is blue -- here's a photo to support my argument."
"Clouds are white, and you know it!
Not sure why either of us are surprised. That's typically their answer to everything no matter what the discussion is about.

1 out of give or take 100 is only slightly less suck than 0 out of a 100. But who needs logic?