Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System
BP doesn't love Bryant as much as the others, but really loves Russell. Surprised to see both Almora and Johnson this high on any list.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/articl...leid=25538
Quote:BP doesn't love Bryant as much as the others, but really loves Russell. Surprised to see both Almora and Johnson this high on any list.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/articl...leid=25538

I was high on Almora up until last year, I really thought he might be the best all-around consistent hitter in the Cubs system. His K rate sky rocketed, while his average and BB rate plummeted in Tennessee.

I just want to drink beer and play atari
His K rate in 2013 was 12 percent.  2014 was 13 percent.

Quote:His K rate in 2013 was 12 percent.  2014 was 13 percent.
So it bottle rocketed then?
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
According to MLBfarm.com (K rate):

2014 Smokies (AA): 15.2%

2014 Cubs (A+): 11.9%

2013 Cougars (A): 11.0%

He didn't play his entire 2014 season in Tennessee

Quote:According to MLBfarm.com (K rate):

I hardly consider 3% as sky rocketed.  That is 3 extra K's per 100 AB's.  So, he was striking out 12 times per 100 in A+ and 15 per 100 in AA, not really something I would find concerning.
I'm only worried about his lack of BB% given that he needs to hit around .300 to be useful at all unless his SLG% improves. The Ks are nowhere near a problem.
Quote:According to MLBfarm.com (K rate):

If you combine the 2013's numbers and 2014's numbers split between the various levels, it comes out to what I posted.
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="WiCubsFan" data-cid="235560" data-time="1423572919">
<div>
According to MLBfarm.com (K rate):

I hardly consider 3% as sky rocketed.  That is 3 extra K's per 100 AB's.  So, he was striking out 12 times per 100 in A+ and 15 per 100 in AA, not really something I would find concerning.

</div>
</blockquote>

Alright, sky rocketed was probably the wrong choice of words...

I just didn't like how his stats were trending. Average dropping, BB% dropping, and K% rising.
Ks aren't the issue, they never were.  He makes contact.  Problem is that walk rate and that he wasn't finding any holes.

Quote:Ks aren't the issue, they never were.  He makes contact.  Problem is that walk rate and that he wasn't finding any holes.

I found a hole after about 8 hours at a craps table in Tunica this weekend, trust me it's overrated Smile

But you're spot on and the scouts/"experts" who doubt Almora making it, that is very much the argument. Walk rate is very poor and his hit tool isn't enough to compensate for it. The glove is outstanding and last year he seemed to show mostly good health. He needs work at the plate because he'll never be a power hitter, and he's not a slap. I think he'll spend much of the year at AA and if he shows well, may finish in Iowa. But he's definitely one to watch this year-really other than Baez the one I'm watching the most. With his glove if he can find a way to get to a higher OBP, he'll be valuable. 
Dylan McKay is my hero
I've got the BP 2015 annual at home, and they very strongly discourage jumping ship on Almora. Maybe later tonight I'll send along the text for his profile.

One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

It's tough.  He's still young, and I know the talking heads say that its a very bad sign, but I feel like they're giving up on him too soon.

I think the issue was the lack of 'quality at bats' for Almora. He can make contact on everything, but the management was concerned that he wasn't driving the ball as much and doing a lot of weak ground outs. He is not going to take a lot of walks but if he can make solid contact for average hopefully that will negate that.

From what I read he has a fantastic attitude and the management and coaches love him, especially for his leadership skills.
Fangraphs published its Top 200 Prospects list. Our boys:

1. Bryant (70)

3. Russell (65)

13. Soler (60)

21. Schwarber (60)

64. Edwards (55)

92. Almora (50)

124. Underwood (50)

125. P. Johnson (50)

There are three in the "Honorable Mentions" (45+) section, in this order: Vogelbach, McKinney, Torres.

With 11 prospects apiece, the Cubs and the Braves have the most in the top 200.

One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer