Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System
You bitched about the omission, not the idiotic inclusion.

How about this, can we all stipulate that since he rated Bryant as the #1 prospect in all of baseball, he's not excluding Bryant because he doesn't think he's going to be vying for playing time?

This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
I don't even know what you guys are arguing about. But one thing I'm sure of is that Rizzo is not "fighting" or "vying" for at bats.  He is consuming ABs and shitting OPS.

Nope, because he included Castro and Rizzo. It's an oopsie. And not that big of a deal, until people started debating it.

One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

No Almora in the top 100...that star has fallen fast. I would think, even with a bad year at the plate, that with his glove he'd still be considered a top 100 prospect. 

Dylan McKay is my hero
And none of our pitchers in the top 100 either, which really shouldn't shock anyone.
I can see Johnson or Edwards being fringe 100 guys, but not quite there. Both intrigue me very much. 

Dylan McKay is my hero
Quote:I can see Johnson or Edwards being fringe 100 guys, but not quite there. Both intrigue me very much. 

Maybe after a full (healthy) season Edwards would crack the top 100.
I just want to drink beer and play atari
Quote:No Almora in the top 100...that star has fallen fast. I would think, even with a bad year at the plate, that with his glove he'd still be considered a top 100 prospect. 

From KLaw chat:

BassmanUW (Chicago)

How far off the list was Almora? Did he receive serious consideration, or were his offensive struggles so great that he was a pretty easy cut? If he has another offensive season like that in 2015, does he become a former prospect?

Klaw
<div style="font-size:xx-small;font-weight:normal;">  (1:00 PM)

Didn't deserve any serious consideration. Call me when he takes a pitch.

</div>
Yikes. Good find. 

Dylan McKay is my hero
Law can be kind of a smartass at times. It's far too early to give up on Almora, especially considering he's been young for the leagues he's been playing in. Just because a player doesn't make the top 100 doesn't mean he'll never be a major league starter.

Maybe he gets sent back to High A to get back on track, with AA becoming a possibility later in the season. He's not even 21 yet.

Also in that chat someone asked him How Edwards fell and he replied something like through gaps in a sewer drain.  Bazinga!

Quote:Tommy (channahon) [via mobile]

How bad was Theo Epstein's first draft with the Cubs in 2012? He has to be regretting it already with Almora and Pierce Johnson over some big time guys

Klaw

(1:13 PM)

Almora was a legit top ten pick ... I don't think anyone knew he'd be this much of a hacker. Johnson's delivery scared me at the time.

Then there's this.  Give me a break.

Finally today Law is releasing his top 10 prospects per team.  Here's his write-up on the Cubs:

Quote:Top 10 prospects

1. Kris Bryant, 3B

2. Addison Russell, SS

3. Jorge Soler, RF

4. Kyle Schwarber, C

5. Gleyber Torres, SS

6. Billy McKinney, OF

7. Albert Almora, CF

8. Duane Underwood, RHP

9. C.J. Edwards, RHP

10. Jen-Ho Tseng, RHP

Overview

The majors' best farm system is loaded with potential, or even likely, stars, with their top six all projecting as at least average everyday players, along with a number of other prospects outside their top 10 -- e.g., outfielder Eloy Jimenez (15) and catcher/third baseman Victor Caratini (13) -- who have a decent shot to join them. The system still isn't where it should be in terms of potential starting pitchers, although Underwood took a big step forward this year, holding 94-95 mph deep into starts and showing a plus curve and plus change, just not all at the same time.

After taking Schwarber (whom I've listed as a catcher but don't believe will remain there) with the No. 4 overall pick this year, the Cubs pounded pitching, including three high-upside high school arms in lefty Carson Sands (16), right-hander Dylan Cease (14) and lefty Justin Steele (11). Cease blew out his elbow in the spring and won't pitch until mid- to late 2015. Lefty Rob Zastryzny (18) and right-hander Jake Stinnett (17) could end up as fifth starters or solid relievers, while Corey Black (17) now appears destined for a full-time bullpen role. Bijan Rademacher (20) sounds like he should be on the Dutch Olympic speed-skating squad, but he's a very solid fourth outfield prospect who has a little bit of everything without one plus tool.

2015 impact

Bryant should be the rookie of the year favorite in the NL, and if he's not the Cubs' Opening Day third baseman, I'm calling service time #shenanigans. Soler will be their everyday right fielder; Russell might be ready by the All-Star break, although his playing time will also depend on whether Javier Baez gets comfortable at the plate. Edwards might break in this year as a starter, but I'm skeptical he can remain a starter.

The fallen

I've never loved Pierce Johnson's (12) arm action because it puts tremendous stress on his elbow (from the valgus force exerted on the joint by his late, hard pronation), but he's also shown no improvement in his fastball command and missed half of last year with a hamstring injury. He was supposed to be a polished college pitcher who could move somewhat quickly to the majors, but walking a batter every other inning in Double-A at age 23 was a big step back, and he's still searching for an effective third pitch between a cutter and a changeup.

Sleeper

Of all of the young arms in the system, Steele made the strongest impression this summer, an athletic, 6-foot-1 southpaw with good downhill plane and some advanced feel for pitching, especially for a Mississippi high school product. His fastball is in the upper 80s now -- but should peak in the low 90s -- and where Sands has more present velocity Steele has better projection.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
SERVICE TIME SHENANIGANS!