Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System
I actually like the bats we will be running up there for the last month.  Though I do miss Barwin.

Quote:I actually like the bats we will be running up there for the last month.  Though I do miss Barwin.

Yeah, he hasn't posted here in a while.
One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

Kid, I'm beginning to thing that people either can't or won't read your posts.

--Veryzer

Baez's average splits for his minor league career (Boise through Iowa):

April: .230

May: .248

June: .299

July: .303

I'm sure Bryant was protecting him to some extent. But as the season progresses he just always seems to turn it on (no matter who's batting behind him). I would like to think he's settling in by adjusting to the pitchers, then once he gets promoted the adjustment process starts all over again for him.

I just want to drink beer and play atari
The thing is, before last year, Baez had all of 18 PA during April and May in the minors. So those numbers are based on only two years, not long enough to make a narrative. Additionally, his start was so craptacular this year that it hides the fact that while they weren't as strong as his numbers later that summer, he did not do too shabby in April and May 2013:

</P>

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=br&url=%2Fminors%2Fplayer.cgi%3Fid%3Dbaez--000jav%26type%3Dbgl%26year%3D2013&div=div_batting_splits_milb"></script>

</</P>
The other thing about those numbers is that it shows a very short adjustment period in Tennessee (he was promoted July 6th). Now, I'm not arguing that he doesn't have his own growth curve, but it's hard to look at the numbers from this year and not see Bryant's presence as having some effect on him.
--Veryzer

I'm adding this in another post so the HTML doesn't get funky again.

Like I said upthread, Baez's numbers in June before Bryant arrived were fairly terrible. But in the 12 games in the rest of the month, Baez went .378/.489/.961 with 0 HRs and 8 BBs to 13 Ks. He seemed to immediately get patient and--perhaps--not just swing for the fences.
--Veryzer

I just hope people don't overreact if he goes 0 for his first 9 with 5 Ks. Because both are very possible.

Give him time...he'll be fine.

Very exciting!!!

I just want to drink beer and play atari
On that we do agree.

--Veryzer

Quote:I just hope people don't overreact if he goes 0 for his first 9 with 5 Ks

[Image: seh6p.gif]
Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them.
Quote:I just hope people don't overreact if he goes 0 for his first 9 with 5 Ks. Because both are very possible.

Give him time...he'll be fine.

Very exciting!!!
Oh, I guarantee they will.
Yeah, some will, but I think one of the advantages of calling him up now is that fewer would freak out/notice him struggling than at the start of next year.  The number of people watching the Cubs is so incredibly small right now, and those that are I would think are the type to get that he's going to need some time.  

RBI double for Olt. 

2-run double for Bryant.

Quote:RBI double for Olt. 

I REALLY want to dream that this is Olt getting something figured out and that he is going to be a .250/.340/.450 hitter next year at 3B, pushing Bryant to LF, Soler in RF and the Cubs win the World Series.
Check it out as I hilariously fail at Cubs blogging.

www.friendly-confines.com
Quote:<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="funkster" data-cid="226243" data-time="1407197782">

RBI double for Olt. 

I REALLY want to dream that this is Olt getting something figured out and that he is going to be a .250/.340/.450 hitter next year at 3B, pushing Bryant to LF, Soler in RF and the Cubs win the World Series.</blockquote>

With Edwin Jackson in our rotation? We still need pitching.