Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System
Quote:Can't drive a guy in if you're taking walks. Unbelievable. Not a team player at all.

And then they go and reward his big mistakes with a call up.

Man, TheoJed have no clue what they are doing.  We should fire them and have McLeod run the team.  He knows what he is doing!
Check it out as I hilariously fail at Cubs blogging.

www.friendly-confines.com
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="funkster" data-cid="226136" data-time="1407173772">
<div>

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="VanSlawAndCottoCheese" data-cid="226130" data-time="1407170899">
<div>
If he comes up before Bryant, I'd hope to see them consider hitting him before Rizzo even. If he and Bryant come up together . . .

By the way, here's another spin on the numbers, cribbed from my BN alter ego:

Before Bryant's call-up, Baez's numbers were .215/.269/.426 with 15/84 BB/K in 245 PA.

In the 189 PA with Bryant in the line-up--in addition to the numbers above--Baez has 20 BBs and only 45 Ks.
That might have something to do with it, but don't forget that it also appears that Baez is a slow starter.  He was pretty cold at the start of last season as well and started lighting it up by June.

</div>
</blockquote>
In addition to getting adjusted to more advance AAA pitching.

</div>
</blockquote>

Hmm. Maaaaybe. Both are possible explanations (actually, Coldneck's point serves as an explanation for funkster's).

Still, the plot thickens when you look at Baez's numbers for June 1st-18th, pre-Bryant: .193/.238/.456 1 2B, 1 3B, 4 HR, 13 RBI, 3 BB, 21K in 63 PA.

While the power is nice, everything else was fairly awful--especially his K per PA.

One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

The Ks still make me nervous.  Going to be interesting to see how he fairs against ML pitching.

Seems like Javy always starts off slow...then heats up with the weather as the season goes on. Not sure if it's a coincidence that Bryant is (was) protecting him or not.

That has been his M.O. for most of his minor league career....struggle in the spring, crush it in the summer.

I just want to drink beer and play atari
Quote:The Ks still make me nervous.  Going to be interesting to see how he fairs against ML pitching.

You're not alone.

I think MLB pitchers are going to make some early mistakes again him in august...then figure him out the remainder of the season. Javy will need to adjust like he has been doing in the minors.

I just want to drink beer and play atari
I think calling him up for Colorado is a great idea. I expect to see Baez hit at least one bomb during the series.
Actually, if you go back and look at his monthly splits, the numbers don't really bear out the "start slow/finish strong" narrative. Two years ago, he did have a tough adjustment to Daytona in August ng in Peoria the previous couple of months (he had only 18 ABs in May and none in April). Last year, he never really had a down month, and while he was better at year's end than he was in the beginning, t's because he absolutely crushed upon his promotion to Tennessee. I'd be willing to buy that he needed to adjust to AAA pitching, but the fact that he started immediately after Bryant arrived raises my eyebrows.

This is by no means a criticism of Baez. If anything, I like the idea that Bryant gave him a kick in the pants and perhaps kept some pitchers from exposing some of his weaknesses.

--Veryzer

BOOM!
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
So I'm guessing Russell to Iowa will be happening soon.

And Soler up in Sep?
I saw a post on Twitter that Russell is not expected to go to Iowa this season, but that AFL seems likely.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
Quote:I saw a post on Twitter that Russell is not expected to go to Iowa this season, but that AFL seems likely.

Which probably means, like Baez getting promoted, that it's a sure thing he's going to Iowa.
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Kid" data-cid="226190" data-time="1407178276">
<div>
I saw a post on Twitter that Russell is not expected to go to Iowa this season, but that AFL seems likely.

Which probably means, like Baez getting promoted, that it's a sure thing he's going to Iowa.

</div>
</blockquote>

Eh.  We'll see.  The word was never no on calling up Baez.  It was more of a "no comment."
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
Quote:Seems like Javy always starts off slow...then heats up with the weather as the season goes on. Not sure if it's a coincidence that Bryant is (was) protecting him or not.

That has been his M.O. for most of his minor league career....struggle in the spring, crush it in the summer.

You say that about Bryant....Javy has been hitting lights out since Bryant's promotion to Iowa. I wonder where the cubs will put him in the lineup? At first I ws thinking 5th or 6th, but, would it be smarter to put him in front of someone like Rizzo? Or stick him between Rizzo and Castro?
Dylan McKay is my hero
Coghlan-Alcantara-Castro-Rizzo-Baez-Valbuena-RF-Castillo?

Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="WiCubsFan" data-cid="226171" data-time="1407176656">
<div>
Seems like Javy always starts off slow...then heats up with the weather as the season goes on. Not sure if it's a coincidence that Bryant is (was) protecting him or not.

You say that about Bryant....Javy has been hitting lights out since Bryant's promotion to Iowa. I wonder where the cubs will put him in the lineup? At first I ws thinking 5th or 6th, but, would it be smarter to put him in front of someone like Rizzo? Or stick him between Rizzo and Castro?

</div>
</blockquote>

Déjà freakin' vu, hoopy frood.

--Veryzer