Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cubs-Sox Week
<!--quoteo(post=46946:date=Jun 29 2009, 09:47 AM:name=cherp)-->QUOTE (cherp @ Jun 29 2009, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46913:date=Jun 29 2009, 08:08 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 29 2009, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Not to mention, the whole "Wrigley is the reason the Cubs draw so well" argument falls apart when you see Cubs fans fill all of the opposing teams' stadiums.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Chicagoans are all over the country. It's not a surprise that we put a lot of people in seats in other parks.

I don't know for sure Butch...Do you think this team would draw 3mm+ if the park were in Schaumburg or Arlington Heights? Would we still see people come without the neighborhood/bars?

The first few years would sell every ticket and then some. The die hards would always come for sure. But how long would that hold? I just don't know.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I think it depends on the new facilities and its surroundings, but as long as ownership fields a competitive team, I think we would draw pretty good crowds. The ratio of Cubs fans to others in this town is still staggering. At the same time, would the same number of tourists and other curious visitors still make a pilgrimage to a new ballpark in the same fashion as they currently do with Wrigley? Doubtful.
<!--quoteo(post=46949:date=Jun 29 2009, 09:50 AM:name=hPOD)-->QUOTE (hPOD @ Jun 29 2009, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46944:date=Jun 29 2009, 09:42 AM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Jun 29 2009, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->But hPOD, don't you see the difference between the examples we are providing, and yours? In our example, the manager of a team, the guy who is supposed to represent the team in a professional fashion, ripping the fans of another team. In your example, guys are making fun of fans of the team that they are playing THAT DAY. The ribbing you encountered happens in every park, every day. The manager mocking fans from another team pretty much doesn't EVER happen.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh I see the difference, I was only making an observation that slowly but surely this exact type of thing is creeping into the Cubs fan base. My thought is that eventually, if this section of the fan base gets big enough, that the organization will start playing to them. If the Cubs owners realize they can use it to create buzz or what have you during bad times or during times in which they can use the extra press, whether it be positive or negative, they will.

I remember back in the day before the Sox organization jumped onto this bandwagon of headline making garbage that the fans were the culprits of this Cubs hatred -- now it's the organization, too. It's business, so why wouldn't they latch onto it if it makes a stronger connection with their fans? It's just a matter of time for the Cubs, if that contingent of the Cubs fan base continues to grow, that the organization will jump on board, too.
Unless something changes and the Cubs start having trouble filling up Wrigley on a regular basis, I don't see them ever having to resort to that.
I'm waiting anxiously for Bricklayer to drop a bomb in this thread...
<!--quoteo(post=46951:date=Jun 29 2009, 09:54 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 29 2009, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46949:date=Jun 29 2009, 09:50 AM:name=hPOD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hPOD @ Jun 29 2009, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46944:date=Jun 29 2009, 09:42 AM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Jun 29 2009, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->But hPOD, don't you see the difference between the examples we are providing, and yours? In our example, the manager of a team, the guy who is supposed to represent the team in a professional fashion, ripping the fans of another team. In your example, guys are making fun of fans of the team that they are playing THAT DAY. The ribbing you encountered happens in every park, every day. The manager mocking fans from another team pretty much doesn't EVER happen.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh I see the difference, I was only making an observation that slowly but surely this exact type of thing is creeping into the Cubs fan base. My thought is that eventually, if this section of the fan base gets big enough, that the organization will start playing to them. If the Cubs owners realize they can use it to create buzz or what have you during bad times or during times in which they can use the extra press, whether it be positive or negative, they will.

I remember back in the day before the Sox organization jumped onto this bandwagon of headline making garbage that the fans were the culprits of this Cubs hatred -- now it's the organization, too. It's business, so why wouldn't they latch onto it if it makes a stronger connection with their fans? It's just a matter of time for the Cubs, if that contingent of the Cubs fan base continues to grow, that the organization will jump on board, too.
Unless something changes and the Cubs start having trouble filling up Wrigley on a regular basis, I don't see them ever having to resort to that.

Give it enough time. I'm not speaking in terms of 2 or 3 years. But in 5 or 10. As the younger fan base grows older and starts going to the games in place of the Butchers and roks, you may start seeing this get worse and worse, as they will be the ones representing the team at that time.
<!--quoteo(post=46947:date=Jun 29 2009, 09:50 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 29 2009, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46946:date=Jun 29 2009, 09:47 AM:name=cherp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cherp @ Jun 29 2009, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46913:date=Jun 29 2009, 08:08 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 29 2009, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Not to mention, the whole "Wrigley is the reason the Cubs draw so well" argument falls apart when you see Cubs fans fill all of the opposing teams' stadiums.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Chicagoans are all over the country. It's not a surprise that we put a lot of people in seats in other parks.

I don't know for sure Butch...Do you think this team would draw 3mm+ if the park were in Schaumburg or Arlington Heights? Would we still see people come without the neighborhood/bars?

The first few years would sell every ticket and then some. The die hards would always come for sure. But how long would that hold? I just don't know.
It isn't a fair question, though. Because there would be a HUGE backlash if the Cubs were moved to some random suburb outside of Chicago. It would piss off a whole lot of die-hard Cubs fans, including myself.

The fair question would be is, "If Wrigley was torn down and a new stadium built in its place (or close by), would the Cubs still draw 3mm+ every season?"

I don't think there is any doubt. If they stayed where they are, and built a nice new palace, that they'd draw. But Wrigley Field is more than just the history, the park and the bricks and ivy. It is the location. I think you could take the building that currently sits at 35th and Shields and move it to Clark and Addision, and 3.3mm Cubs fans would pack it to see the boys in blue and to then enjoy the neighborhood's environment.

I don't believe that people come just to see a Marquee, ivy, a statue, etc... I do, however, believe that if they vacate the neighborhood, that would be a different story. I just have no evidence to prove that one.
<!--quoteo(post=46953:date=Jun 29 2009, 09:57 AM:name=hPOD)-->QUOTE (hPOD @ Jun 29 2009, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46951:date=Jun 29 2009, 09:54 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 29 2009, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46949:date=Jun 29 2009, 09:50 AM:name=hPOD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hPOD @ Jun 29 2009, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46944:date=Jun 29 2009, 09:42 AM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Jun 29 2009, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->But hPOD, don't you see the difference between the examples we are providing, and yours? In our example, the manager of a team, the guy who is supposed to represent the team in a professional fashion, ripping the fans of another team. In your example, guys are making fun of fans of the team that they are playing THAT DAY. The ribbing you encountered happens in every park, every day. The manager mocking fans from another team pretty much doesn't EVER happen.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Give it enough time. I'm not speaking in terms of 2 or 3 years. But in 5 or 10. As the younger fan base grows older and starts going to the games in place of the Butchers and roks, you may start seeing this get worse and worse, as they will be the ones representing the team at that time.
If SOI still exists in 10 years, we'll meet back here and compare notes. As for now, I don't see that drastic of a shift in culture in a decade (unless the Cubs go 10 straight years without winning the division). But I suppose anything can happen.
<!--quoteo(post=46953:date=Jun 29 2009, 09:57 AM:name=hPOD)-->QUOTE (hPOD @ Jun 29 2009, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46951:date=Jun 29 2009, 09:54 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 29 2009, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46949:date=Jun 29 2009, 09:50 AM:name=hPOD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hPOD @ Jun 29 2009, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46944:date=Jun 29 2009, 09:42 AM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Jun 29 2009, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->But hPOD, don't you see the difference between the examples we are providing, and yours? In our example, the manager of a team, the guy who is supposed to represent the team in a professional fashion, ripping the fans of another team. In your example, guys are making fun of fans of the team that they are playing THAT DAY. The ribbing you encountered happens in every park, every day. The manager mocking fans from another team pretty much doesn't EVER happen.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

See, you really don't fucking get it. We have an identity that is our own. We don't need an antithesis to know who we are. It's always been that way and will always be that way. We embrace our past both good and bad. Our fathers and grandfathers all have passed down our true passion for baseball and the Cubs and it has nothing to do with the fucking white sox. You take away the Cubs and what do you have, a sad sack fan base that doesn't give two shits about supporting their team. You take away the sox and everything stays exactly the same for Cubs fans.

I love your warped logic too. You poke and prod someone until they react and then they're just as guilty of asshole behavior. Fucking genius.
Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them.
<!--quoteo(post=46963:date=Jun 29 2009, 10:15 AM:name=Bricklayer)-->QUOTE (Bricklayer @ Jun 29 2009, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46953:date=Jun 29 2009, 09:57 AM:name=hPOD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hPOD @ Jun 29 2009, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46951:date=Jun 29 2009, 09:54 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 29 2009, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46949:date=Jun 29 2009, 09:50 AM:name=hPOD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hPOD @ Jun 29 2009, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46944:date=Jun 29 2009, 09:42 AM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Jun 29 2009, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->But hPOD, don't you see the difference between the examples we are providing, and yours? In our example, the manager of a team, the guy who is supposed to represent the team in a professional fashion, ripping the fans of another team. In your example, guys are making fun of fans of the team that they are playing THAT DAY. The ribbing you encountered happens in every park, every day. The manager mocking fans from another team pretty much doesn't EVER happen.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

See, you really don't fucking get it. We have an identity that is our own. We don't need an antithesis to know who we are. It's always been that way and will always be that way. We embrace our past both good and bad. Our fathers and grandfathers all have passed down our true passion for baseball and the Cubs and it has nothing to do with the fucking white sox. You take away the Cubs and what do you have, a sad sack fan base that doesn't give two shits about supporting their team. You take away the sox and everything stays exactly the same for Cubs fans.

I love your warped logic too. You poke and prod someone until they react and then they're just as guilty of asshole behavior. Fucking genius.

Fair enough. I don't agree with your assessment of me, but fair enough. I don't feel as if I'm poking or prodding anyone when it comes to this, I simply feel that it works both ways. I don't care that there is more traffic on one side of douchebag ave. than the other, either.

And for the record, if you took away the Cubs, you'd take away the Cubs. I'd still love the Sox as much as I do now, it wouldn't make a bit of difference to me. Believe it or not, there ARE Sox fans with the same passion you have -- but at least I don't act as if you don't have passion or family tradition as you just did to me.

But that's your right, I am a guest on another teams board.
I'm as diehard a Cubs fan as there is, but when I go to games at Wrigley, I go for the atmosphere and everything that goes along with the gameday in Wrigleyville. If I really, truly wanted to watch the game with 100% focus, I wouldn't go anywhere near the field, I'd stay home and watch it. The Cubs can't and won't be moving out of their current location (or in the direct vicinity), there's no chance they're moving to Schaumburg or another suburb, it ain't happening.
<!--quoteo(post=46955:date=Jun 29 2009, 10:05 AM:name=cherp)-->QUOTE (cherp @ Jun 29 2009, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46947:date=Jun 29 2009, 09:50 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 29 2009, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46946:date=Jun 29 2009, 09:47 AM:name=cherp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cherp @ Jun 29 2009, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46913:date=Jun 29 2009, 08:08 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 29 2009, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Not to mention, the whole "Wrigley is the reason the Cubs draw so well" argument falls apart when you see Cubs fans fill all of the opposing teams' stadiums.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It isn't a fair question, though. Because there would be a HUGE backlash if the Cubs were moved to some random suburb outside of Chicago. It would piss off a whole lot of die-hard Cubs fans, including myself.

The fair question would be is, "If Wrigley was torn down and a new stadium built in its place (or close by), would the Cubs still draw 3mm+ every season?"

I don't think there is any doubt. If they stayed where they are, and built a nice new palace, that they'd draw. But Wrigley Field is more than just the history, the park and the bricks and ivy. It is the location. I think you could take the building that currently sits at 35th and Shields and move it to Clark and Addision, and 3.3mm Cubs fans would pack it to see the boys in blue and to then enjoy the neighborhood's environment.

I don't believe that people come just to see a Marquee, ivy, a statue, etc... I do, however, believe that if they vacate the neighborhood, that would be a different story. I just have no evidence to prove that one.

Typical sox hypocrisy. Out of one side out your collective mouths you say that sox fans are more discerning and will not support a bad team like dumb Cubs fans. Implying that you do go out and support a good team, even though you couldn't even sell out important games in late 2005 against the Tribe as they were breathing down your neck. And have trouble getting sellouts when not palying the Cubs since. So that's bullshit. So then the argument changes to "the nieghborhood".

Well isn't that just convienent as all hell. One argument is shit, so change the argument.

I also love how more diplomatic you are even though we all know what complete Cubs hating dick you are.

Fucking dumbass cocksucking shit for brains.
Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them.
If you were as diehard as you claim to be, you wouldn't have shown up the day after a successful series and made the posts on here like you have. You're so full of shit, it's nauseating.
<!--quoteo(post=46973:date=Jun 29 2009, 10:26 AM:name=Bricklayer)-->QUOTE (Bricklayer @ Jun 29 2009, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46955:date=Jun 29 2009, 10:05 AM:name=cherp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cherp @ Jun 29 2009, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46947:date=Jun 29 2009, 09:50 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 29 2009, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46946:date=Jun 29 2009, 09:47 AM:name=cherp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cherp @ Jun 29 2009, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46913:date=Jun 29 2009, 08:08 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 29 2009, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Not to mention, the whole "Wrigley is the reason the Cubs draw so well" argument falls apart when you see Cubs fans fill all of the opposing teams' stadiums.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Typical sox hypocrisy. Out of one side out your collective mouths you say that sox fans are more discerning and will not support a bad team like dumb Cubs fans. Implying that you do go out and support a good team, even though you couldn't even sell out important games in late 2005 against the Tribe as they were breathing down your neck. And have trouble getting sellouts when not palying the Cubs since. So that's bullshit. So then the argument changes to "the nieghborhood".

Well isn't that just convienent as all hell. One argument is shit, so change the argument.

I also love how more diplomatic you are even though we all know what complete Cubs hating dick you are.

Fucking dumbass cocksucking shit for brains.

Actually, I never said that about the fans being stupid, Ozzie did. So please, let's not make me Ozzie, unless you're giving me the same money he's getting, then I probably wouldn't care if you put those words in my mouth. I never called you a "dumb Cubs fan" for supporting your team, win or lose.

And fuck you, too.

Bricklayer, more like dicklayer.

Asshat.
<!--quoteo(post=46974:date=Jun 29 2009, 10:26 AM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jun 29 2009, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If you were as diehard as you claim to be, you wouldn't have shown up the day after a successful series and made the posts on here like you have. You're so full of shit, it's nauseating.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Posts here like I have? When did you EVER see me get on here and brag about anything? Yes, I'm so super happy that one bad fucking team just beat another bad team -- whoo hooo...time to celebrate, we just won a pointless series@#$!

You can be a jag, just like Bricklayer, but it doesn't make me a liar, a fake, or otherwise. I'm not here to stir trouble, not from the start of signing up, it's not what I do, and it's not what I'm about.
<!--quoteo(post=46981:date=Jun 29 2009, 10:30 AM:name=hPOD)-->QUOTE (hPOD @ Jun 29 2009, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46974:date=Jun 29 2009, 10:26 AM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jun 29 2009, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If you were as diehard as you claim to be, you wouldn't have shown up the day after a successful series and made the posts on here like you have. You're so full of shit, it's nauseating.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Posts here like I have? When did you EVER see me get on here and brag about anything? Yes, I'm so super happy that one bad fucking team just beat another bad team -- whoo hooo...time to celebrate, we just won a pointless series@#$!

You can be a jag, just like Bricklayer, but it doesn't make me a liar, a fake, or otherwise. I'm not here to stir trouble, not from the start of signing up, it's not what I do, and it's not what I'm about.
You're not here to stir up shit, but you don't post for months then come back the day after the series and start shit. Interesting. Just go away, we don't want to talk with you, we don't want you here, never did. Take cherp with you.
<!--quoteo(post=46984:date=Jun 29 2009, 10:33 AM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jun 29 2009, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46981:date=Jun 29 2009, 10:30 AM:name=hPOD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hPOD @ Jun 29 2009, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=46974:date=Jun 29 2009, 10:26 AM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jun 29 2009, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If you were as diehard as you claim to be, you wouldn't have shown up the day after a successful series and made the posts on here like you have. You're so full of shit, it's nauseating.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're not here to stir up shit, but you don't post for months then come back the day after the series and start shit. Interesting. Just go away, we don't want to talk with you, we don't want you here, never did. Take cherp with you.

Not sure what I ever did to you.