Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Draft
Remember when we drafted that can't miss pitcher with the 2nd overall pick that everyone loved... yeah, that worked out well.
<!--quoteo(post=43362:date=Jun 9 2009, 10:59 PM:name=stevestonescigar)-->QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ Jun 9 2009, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Sorry guys but I can not read some of this
garbage anymore. I find it utterly ridiculous that we are ripping players or picks that we know absolutely nothing about other than what we read. We had almost the last pick in the first round. We were not getting a sure thing even if there was such a thing. It would not of mattered who we would of picked you would of been guaranfuckingteed over half this board would of been crying about it.

This is not directed at anyone certain... just as a whole. It is fucking old. The only reason I have not left here is because I honestly love you guys. I have met a lot of you in person and it changed a lot of things for me personally. You guys are real friends. However I can not take the constant fucking bitching anymore. I realize who we are and understand things have not exactly
went our way the last 100 years. I just want to be a fan again though. I am sick and tired of fretting over every damn trade, free agent signing, minor league moves, call ups, bullpen decisions and crying about the lineup. I understand the questioning of moves at times but this board has went to another level over the last year or two. There is reason people have left this board and that right there for some who doesn't know is the exact reason why. The over reactions are out of control. I am sure I am going to get a lot of hate or posts ripping on me for this but I have let it fester in me for to long. I believe in karma and sometimes think that maybe the Cubs fan and our way of always waiting for the worst has affected our teams in the past. We have people who say they will not boo but then come on here and just tear players and coaches apart. I guess I don't really get the difference.

Anyway...even though I understand that things are not always roses and sunshine I am going to do my best at just being a fan again. I had a lot more fun that way. Rip away...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This doesn't exactly relate to your post, but I blame talk sports radio for alot of the things you are citing. Everything is scrutinized, constantly, endlessly, stupidly in some cases, because they have the time to fill. That and the internet have created a medium where negativity is so easily aired to a large audience.

This board is no different than much of what's on the radio or tv. It's a reflection of what you get in any form of media.

That being said, this is a place to bitch. It's our place to bitch, right or wrong. No one is going to rag on you for this because we know you and know where your heart is.
I'm 100% fine with this. I'm just glad there's an actual plan in place that isn't, "Let's load up on retreads and hope we get lucky." I'm a little tired of that plan.

Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=43362:date=Jun 9 2009, 08:59 PM:name=stevestonescigar)-->QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ Jun 9 2009, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Sorry guys but I can not read some of this
garbage anymore. I find it utterly ridiculous that we are ripping players or picks that we know absolutely nothing about other than what we read. We had almost the last pick in the first round. We were not getting a sure thing even if there was such a thing. It would not of mattered who we would of picked you would of been guaranfuckingteed over half this board would of been crying about it.

This is not directed at anyone certain... just as a whole. It is fucking old. The only reason I have not left here is because I honestly love you guys. I have met a lot of you in person and it changed a lot of things for me personally. You guys are real friends. However I can not take the constant fucking bitching anymore. I realize who we are and understand things have not exactly
went our way the last 100 years. I just want to be a fan again though. I am sick and tired of fretting over every damn trade, free agent signing, minor league moves, call ups, bullpen decisions and crying about the lineup. I understand the questioning of moves at times but this board has went to another level over the last year or two. There is reason people have left this board and that right there for some who doesn't know is the exact reason why. The over reactions are out of control. I am sure I am going to get a lot of hate or posts ripping on me for this but I have let it fester in me for to long. I believe in karma and sometimes think that maybe the Cubs fan and our way of always waiting for the worst has affected our teams in the past. We have people who say they will not boo but then come on here and just tear players and coaches apart. I guess I don't really get the difference.

Anyway...even though I understand that things are not always roses and sunshine I am going to do my best at just being a fan again. I had a lot more fun that way. Rip away...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Finally, a post I can agree with.
@TheBlogfines
Maybe that is part of it. I listen to a lot of Chicago sports radio and it is usually negative. Then I come here and most of the time it is more of the same. I just know I can not take much more. My head is going to expload.
FWIW, my posts weren't meant in a mean-spirited way or to sound like I know better or anything like that. I just don't expect much from our young, unproven players, so what may be perceived as bitching on my part is more like indifference. It's hard for me to get angry over something as unpredictable as draft picks, so I'm not gonna get bent out of shape over any of this draft discussion.
<!--quoteo(post=43368:date=Jun 9 2009, 11:14 PM:name=stevestonescigar)-->QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ Jun 9 2009, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Maybe that is part of it. I listen to a lot of Chicago sports radio and it is usually negative. Then I come here and most of the time it is more of the same. I just know I can not take much more. My head is going to expload.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I really believe that you're on to something. Civility is non-existent in sports talk radio. A bunch of dickheads call in and say stupid things and these things are amplified by the paid talkers---it's not why we started being sports fans. We became sports fans because we were <b>fans</b>. We rooted for our teams, our players, because that's what fans do. It seems to me that there are fewer fans and more people showing up at games and shooting crap on talk radio and the internet who would be better suited sitting in a Roman coliseum watching gladiators kill one another.
I'm 100% fine with this. I'm just glad there's an actual plan in place that isn't, "Let's load up on retreads and hope we get lucky." I'm a little tired of that plan.

Butcher
Cig, I really feel the same way. My posts on the draft were more on the side of tongue-in-cheek, I really don't understand how someone could get really upset about this draft, it is not like we passed on Strasburg
[Image: 2hz4sk2.jpg]
<!--quoteo(post=43377:date=Jun 9 2009, 10:32 PM:name=Baron)-->QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 9 2009, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Cig, I really feel the same way. My posts on the draft were more on the side of tongue-in-cheek, I really don't understand how someone could get really upset about this draft, it is not like we passed on Strasburg<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No worries. This has been building up for a long long time and I actually cut my rant pretty short. This is just the thread that it happened to set me over the edge and for it to come up in.
<!--quoteo(post=43364:date=Jun 9 2009, 10:05 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Jun 9 2009, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=43362:date=Jun 9 2009, 09:59 PM:name=stevestonescigar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ Jun 9 2009, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Sorry guys but I can not read some of this

I feel that way a lot but I don't speak up because I'm worried of alienating myself from others.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I left a Cubs board, that many of you know of, because everyone post was negative and everything was a complete bitch fest since many of you guys left. I can understand everything that Cigar said. Things were so great at the other site until the CUbs blew in 2003 and then every second we did not win a World Series just resulted in more anger in posts. Many times things go too far like ripping on our first round pick when no one knew he was 10 minutes earlier. But I can also see how people can bitch when the bullpen comes in and can't throw strikes. It would be nice to see some more relaxing, somewhat positive posts here but I can accept whatever here since the posters are mostly knowledgeable guys.
Cigar, I'm genuinely sorry if I've contributed to the negativity. Sometimes I feel as though I come off like an angry fan.

I rarely gripe about the players themselves...I'm still a total fan in that respect.
But I do bitch about management a lot (probably too much). And if a poor player is being played too often, I'll be pissed about it, although I'll take my anger out on Lou or Larry.

FWIW, last season was one of the most enjoyable I've ever had as a fan. I made an actual attempt to keep things positive...although that's a lot easier to do when the Cubs are on a 97-win tear.

Anyway, I like you a lot, and would hate to lose your presence on the board.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
I'm with you, Cigar. There is a lot of negativity going on. I've grown accustomed to the nature of the beast (internet), though. At least on this board most are a productive member, and at least no one gets flamed too bad (from what I've seen). I understand that this group has been together long before I was member, so I don't expect to know every nuance and tic of the community as a whole.

Hope you decide to stick around, Cigar.

Really, though, the draft is a complete crapshoot. Sometimes players drafted early bust, sometimes players that become studs drop.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

<!--quoteo(post=43394:date=Jun 9 2009, 10:32 PM:name=biggz)-->QUOTE (biggz @ Jun 9 2009, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm with you, Cigar. There is a lot of negativity going on. I've grown accustomed to the nature of the beast (internet), though. At least on this board most are a productive member, and at least no one gets flamed too bad (from what I've seen). I understand that this group has been together long before I was member, so I don't expect to know every nuance and tic of the community as a whole.

Hope you decide to stick around, Cigar.

Really, though, the draft is a complete crapshoot. Sometimes players drafted early bust, sometimes players that become studs drop.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Exactly how I feel.

We all think we could be the next Red Sox, but with winning comes arrogance and scrutiny over the little things. So as a new person here, I think that you guys have been through it all, and now that we've been a team that has consistently been winning in regular season, expectations are raised. From that comes the bitchiness over results that aren't perfect. And I think that it's the happy-go-lucky, cheery, and hopeful exuberance and is the Cubs fan stereotype, and our expectations are killing that joy in the game.

Yes we want to win, and we expect to win. But I don't think we should all let those expectations get carried away. As a new member, I can tell how much you guys love this place and despite your differences, arguments, and bitchiness, you guys are really good friends. I don't think this board should die a slow death because of shit like this. From the stuff I've heard, there's too many top posters that are leaving because its not the same. I don't know those times, because I wasn't here, but I just wish that everyone can get there again. I love reading everything on here, and it would really suck not to have a place to go because of everyone's negativity that people away. I know I'm new, but I'm just offering my opinion and how I see it here.

As for that Red Sox thing that I brought up. They wanted to become winners, they did. Then they became their worst enemy, Yankee fans. Let's not let expectations turn us Cub fans into deprived, douches that turn White Soxlike.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
Cubs took LHP Austin Kirk. He's a 6'0" high schooler from OK that is committed to play for the Sooners. Rivals ranks him 61st in the 2009 high school class. It will be interesting to see if the Cubs can sign him.
Cubs.com Link

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Brett Jackson celebrated his 19th birthday in August 2007 by going to a Cubs game at Wrigley Field, calling it one of the best days he's had. The young outfielder now is part of those same Cubs and hopes to someday play at Wrigley.

The Cubs selected Jackson, 20, with the 31st pick in the first round of the First-Year Player Draft on Tuesday.

"<b>I'm a big Cubs fan</b>," Jackson said. <b>"I'm honored to be with this organization. Honestly, truly, I was hoping to be with the Cubs the whole time and couldn't believe it when my name was read.</b>"

After his freshman year at UC Berkeley, Jackson played in the North Woods League in Wisconsin, and some friends took him to Wrigley for his birthday party on Aug. 2 that year.

"I was somewhat overwhelmed just walking in," Jackson said of the Cubs' home park. "You can feel the history. I remember just walking in and being wowed. It was one of the better birthdays of my life, I must say.

"Even before that, I've supported the Cubs and the history and the tradition of the team. I love the mascot -- once a bear, always a bear. I'm proud to be a Cub today and looking forward to helping the organization in the future."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Sorry, guys. I'll try to tone it down. I didn't realize I was driving people away.

After getting so close in 2003, everything has changed for me. I want it so bad that every minor disappointment gets magnified to the nth degree. I have lost all patience. And every year it doesn't happen, I become a little more bitter and pissed off. This is the only place I can sound off about it. But I really don't want to ruin the experience or anyone else.

I'll be leaving town tomorrow for a long weekend with no computer. Maybe I'll spend a few minutes to take personal inventory and reassess my Cubs fandom.