Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cuts
<!--quoteo(post=25656:date=Mar 29 2009, 04:18 PM:name=Kid)-->QUOTE (Kid @ Mar 29 2009, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Fine except for letting Chad Fox anywhere near the roster.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, don't see that happening either, but we've done the DL thing in the past, and I really think they're going to try and hang onto Patton to see what they've got with him.
<!--quoteo(post=25660:date=Mar 29 2009, 04:21 PM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Mar 29 2009, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=25656:date=Mar 29 2009, 04:18 PM:name=Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid @ Mar 29 2009, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Fine except for letting Chad Fox anywhere near the roster.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, don't see that happening either, but we've done the DL thing in the past, and I really think they're going to try and hang onto Patton to see what they've got with him.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I think they need to DL Gaudin, I don't think he is completely healthy anyway.

Give the last 3 spots to Vizcaino, Guzman and Patton for now. If Patton and/or Guzman sucks then you have Gaudin, Shark and Hart all available to be brought up/brought back from the DL.
<!--quoteo(post=25656:date=Mar 29 2009, 05:18 PM:name=Kid)-->QUOTE (Kid @ Mar 29 2009, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Fine except for letting Chad Fox anywhere near the roster.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly. Fuck Fox, replace him with Guzman and that's the bullpen.
<!--quoteo(post=25667:date=Mar 29 2009, 04:36 PM:name=sleepyhead)-->QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Mar 29 2009, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=25656:date=Mar 29 2009, 05:18 PM:name=Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid @ Mar 29 2009, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Fine except for letting Chad Fox anywhere near the roster.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly. Fuck Fox, replace him with Guzman and that's the bullpen.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Agreed.
@TheBlogfines
Gaudin gave up 3 more ER's today while Patton pitched a scoreless inning. Patton's ERA is below .90...he has earned a spot.
<!--quoteo(post=25671:date=Mar 29 2009, 04:48 PM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ Mar 29 2009, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Gaudin gave up 3 more ER's today while Patton pitched a scoreless inning. Patton's ERA is below .90...he has earned a spot.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I also agree with Fella in that I don't think Gaudin's healthy. He's been a solid pitcher the last couple years and really has good stuff, he shouldn't be getting hit like this.
@TheBlogfines
Lou never actually uses the twelfth pitcher any way, so I have no problem with carrying Patton. Would Guzman be enough to get Patton's rights?
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
<!--quoteo(post=25674:date=Mar 29 2009, 04:55 PM:name=savant)-->QUOTE (savant @ Mar 29 2009, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Lou never actually uses the twelfth pitcher any way, so I have no problem with carrying Patton. Would Guzman be enough to get Patton's rights?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would think the Rockies would rather have Patton back than take Guzman, since again, Guzman has no options.

I don't think the Cubs will trade for his rights anyway though, he is either gonna make the big club or go back.
Without looking at the rockie's roster I have a hard time believing that Guzman would not make their roster. Patton has never pitched above A ball, and in my mind it is a pretty big stretch to think that 10-15 innings of spring training innings makes up for that lack of experience.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
<!--quoteo(post=25683:date=Mar 29 2009, 05:27 PM:name=savant)-->QUOTE (savant @ Mar 29 2009, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Without looking at the rockie's roster I have a hard time believing that Guzman would not make their roster. Patton has never pitched above A ball, and in my mind it is a pretty big stretch to think that 10-15 innings of spring training innings makes up for that lack of experience.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The Rockies don't have to bring Patton up though, they can put him in AA and continue to develop him. If they take Guzman instead they are stuck with him, if he sucks then they just have to release him, and despite Guzman's raw talent he has never done anything to show he can pitch at the big league level.

That said, I think we will probably keep both of them to start the year, give them both a chance to see what they can do.
Trading Guzman for a rule 5 draft pick who has done nothing beyond low minors would be retarted.
<!--quoteo(post=25695:date=Mar 29 2009, 09:09 PM:name=sleepyhead)-->QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Mar 29 2009, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Trading Guzman for a rule 5 draft pick who has done nothing beyond low minors would be retarted.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have to agree with D-man.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--QuoteBegin-Bruce Miles+-->QUOTE (Bruce Miles)<!--QuoteEBegin-->On other stuff, the Cubs appear to be getting some trade feelers on reliever Chad Gaudin and maybe even Angel Guzman, but Gaudin didn't help himself today, by giving up 3 runs in 2 innings. He has a 10.54 ERA.

"He's not pitching aggressively," Lou said. "He's getting behind on the hitters. Larry's (pitching coach Rothschild) taken him to the back field a few times and worked with him on staying on top of the ball, and he gets out there and he works under it, and the ball flattens out a little bit, and you can see the results."

Good luck trading him. But Rule 5 guy David Patton (0.84 ERA) is making his case to stick. He went 1-2-3 today with 2 strikeouts.

"He's not stumbling," Lou said. "He keeps throwing strikes. He's showing a good curveball. Look, he's pitching like he wants a job. I don't know exactly what's going to happen. But I can tell you this, that the kid's hungry and he's looking for a major-league job. Not only from our club, but I'm sure he's impressing other people sitting in the stands, too. We'll see what happens with that situation on Tuesday or Wednesday. But he's made it very difficult. Good for him."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Wittenmyer basically confirming what Miles said about possibly trading Guzman, Gaudin or Patton:

<!--QuoteBegin-Wittenmyer+-->QUOTE (Wittenmyer)<!--QuoteEBegin-->With a Wednesday deadline looming for decisions on Rule 5 draftee David Patton and out-of-options pitchers Chad Gaudin and Angel Guzman, a trade could change the bullpen landscape significantly. The Cubs have been gauging trade interest in all three, a club source confirmed Sunday.

Gaudin, who comes with a $2million sticker price, didn't help his chances of making the team, or his trade value, with another poor outing Sunday against the Cleveland Indians. His spring ERA is 10.54.

Patton, on the other hand, pitched a 1-2-3 eighth inning, striking out Tony Graffanino and the dangerous Grady Sizemore to lower his ERA to 0.84 with 12 strikeouts and two walks in 10 2/3 innings.

''I don't know exactly what's going to happen, but I can tell you this: The kid's hungry and he's looking for a major-league job,'' Piniella said of Patton. ''Not only for our club, but I'm sure he's impressing people sitting in the stands, too. We'll see what happens with that situation, but he's made it very difficult.''

The last decision or two in the bullpen could be as important as the closer call. In leaving Carlos Marmol in the eighth-inning role in which he has excelled the last two seasons, Piniella said he wants to ''try to stay as short as we can with him,'' meaning fewer outings in which Marmol pitches more than an inning.

''And that means that we need a few other pitchers [for the late innings],'' Piniella said. ''We've got the people here in [Aaron] Heilman and [Luis] Vizcaino that have experience, and we've got [Neal] Cotts that's throwing the ball very, very well.

''And we've got possibly one more young pitcher that can come in -- or one other pitcher that can come in. The reason I'm hedging a little bit is I don't know exactly what the last spot or two is going to be like yet.''

Jeff Samardzija and veterans Chad Fox and Mike Stanton also remain in camp after Sunday's cuts.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm hoping Fox and Stanton are still around simply as a courtesy to them to allow them the maximum amount of exposure before cutting them loose. They really don't belong in the minors taking away a spot for a kid.
I got nothin'.

Andy