Sons of Ivy
Cuts - Printable Version

+- Sons of Ivy (https://sonsofivy.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chicago Cubs (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Friendly Confines (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Cuts (/thread-7616.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Cuts - Clapp - 03-06-2009

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Cubs' first cuts: non-roster invites right-handers Andrew Cashner and Rocky Roquet and lefty Ed Campusano assigned to minor league camp.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cuts - ruby23 - 03-06-2009

Campusano is pretty decent actually.

Cuts - rok - 03-06-2009

Cashner sounded awful today, so that's no surprise. So much for the fast track.

Cuts - Clapp - 03-07-2009

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Piniella said Cashner, their first-round pick in 2008, has an oblique strain.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cuts - Captain - 03-07-2009

Any word on where Cashner ends up?

I'd like to see him closing at AAA.

Cuts - Clapp - 03-07-2009

<!--quoteo(post=22334:date=Mar 6 2009, 10:22 PM:name=Captain)-->QUOTE (Captain @ Mar 6 2009, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Any word on where Cashner ends up?

I'd like to see him closing at AAA.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I bet he'll be in AA. I think Hart or Stevens will be closing at AAA.

Cuts - Captain - 03-07-2009

yea...sounds about right.

Cuts - Ace - 03-08-2009

He's not going to be closing, either. He'll be starting for a while.

The first cut is the deepest.

Cuts - Fella - 03-08-2009

I think Cashner may even start in Daytona. He was in Boise last year and didn't pitch particularly well either.

Cuts - kbwsb - 03-08-2009

<!--quoteo(post=22465:date=Mar 8 2009, 05:16 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Mar 8 2009, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think Cashner may even start in Daytona. He was in Boise last year and didn't pitch particularly well either.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Really? That sucks, considering that he was a relatively high pick (17th overall?).

Cuts - Clapp - 03-08-2009

<!--quoteo(post=22469:date=Mar 8 2009, 06:37 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Mar 8 2009, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=22465:date=Mar 8 2009, 05:16 PM:name=Fella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fella @ Mar 8 2009, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think Cashner may even start in Daytona. He was in Boise last year and didn't pitch particularly well either.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Really? That sucks, considering that he was a relatively high pick (17th overall?).
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah, he walked 23 in 20 innings. I agree with Fella, he'll probably start in Daytona. Lou's fast track talk got me thinking AA but yeah, he needs some seasoning it appears first.

Cuts - ruby23 - 03-13-2009

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Cubs optioned OF Richie Robnett to Triple-A Iowa; reassigned RHP Brian Schlitter, LHP J.R. Mathes, LHP Matt Smith, C Steve Clevenger to minor league camp.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cuts - ruby23 - 03-17-2009

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs trimmed nine players from the spring camp roster, including right-handed pitchers Mitch Atkins and Jeff Stevens.

Stevens was acquired from the Cleveland Indians in the Mark DeRosa deal with two other Minor League pitchers. Atkins was a seventh-round pick in the 2004 First-Year Player Draft.

Atkins, Stevens and right-handed pitcher Justin Berg were optioned to Triple-A Iowa. Right-hander Marcos Mateo was optioned to Double-A Tennessee.

Five non-roster invitees also were assigned to the Minor League camp, including catcher Welington Castillo, infielders Darwin Barney and Luis Rivas and outfielders Doug Deeds and Jason Dubois.

The Cubs roster now is at 45 players, including 22 pitchers, four catchers, 10 infielders and nine outfielders.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cuts - Andy - 03-18-2009

Given how long ST is this year, is there really any reason to assign anyone to minor league camp at this point? I mean, we might as well be regularly resting the guys that are actually going to be on the 25 man roster. ST is 39 games this year, a quarter of a season on nothing. So why not keep those extra players, especially the pitchers, around to eat up innings and spell the regulars after a couple innings?

Cuts - Coldneck - 03-18-2009

<!--quoteo(post=23761:date=Mar 18 2009, 01:02 AM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ Mar 18 2009, 01:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Given how long ST is this year, is there really any reason to assign anyone to minor league camp at this point? I mean, we might as well be regularly resting the guys that are actually going to be on the 25 man roster. ST is 39 games this year, a quarter of a season on nothing. So why not keep those extra players, especially the pitchers, around to eat up innings and spell the regulars after a couple innings?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
While I agree with you, we still have 45 players on the team. That should be plenty to keep the guys fresh.