Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cuts
<!--quoteo(post=25721:date=Mar 30 2009, 07:10 AM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ Mar 30 2009, 07:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm hoping Fox and Stanton are still around simply as a courtesy to them to allow them the maximum amount of exposure before cutting them loose. They really don't belong in the minors taking away a spot for a kid.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think that's exactly the case. I'm not worried about either of those guys actually making the roster.
I think it's fairly obvious that Gaudin is hurt. His career numbers would certainly suggest that he's better than this and something is wrong. Say watch you will about Guzman's inconsistency, but he still has very good stuff and has had decent success as a reliever at the minor league level. Patton has certainly impressed, but his stuff is not overwhelming and there is a reason he has not made it past the levels he has pitched in years past.

Bottom line, DL Gaudin and put Guzman and Patton on the roster. See how they both do and if either fail, you have Shark, Gaudin, Ascanio, Hart, etc. in the minors.
i can't believe chad fox's name is still coming up. as much as i don't think guzman will ever amount to shit, i'd take 6 of him over one chad fox.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=25725:date=Mar 30 2009, 07:22 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Mar 30 2009, 07:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->i can't believe chad fox's name is still coming up. as much as i don't think guzman will ever amount to shit, i'd take 6 of him over one chad fox.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Shouldn't that be the other way around? If you only have one Chad Fox, he may not even last a week before his next injury.
<!--quoteo(post=25729:date=Mar 30 2009, 08:42 AM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Mar 30 2009, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=25725:date=Mar 30 2009, 07:22 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Mar 30 2009, 07:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->i can't believe chad fox's name is still coming up. as much as i don't think guzman will ever amount to shit, i'd take 6 of him over one chad fox.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Shouldn't that be the other way around? If you only have one Chad Fox, he may not even last a week before his next injury.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i no longer know what i'm talking about. fuck chad fox.
Wang.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Cubs released catcher Paul Bako.

The Cubs have opted for Koyie Hill's greater offensive potential over Bako's defensive reputation, even though it will cost them about $180,000 in termination pay. Bako may land a backup gig elsewhere in short order. The Orioles are familiar with him and still have a need.

Cubs released LHP Mike Stanton.

Stanton gave up six runs and 13 hits in 8 1/3 innings. He was never a serious threat to make the Cubs, and he probably didn't impress other teams very much with his showing this spring.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo(post=25764:date=Mar 30 2009, 12:59 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Mar 30 2009, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Cubs released catcher Paul Bako.

The Cubs have opted for Koyie Hill's greater offensive potential over Bako's defensive reputation, even though it will cost them about $180,000 in termination pay. Bako may land a backup gig elsewhere in short order. The Orioles are familiar with him and still have a need.

Cubs released LHP Mike Stanton.

Stanton gave up six runs and 13 hits in 8 1/3 innings. He was never a serious threat to make the Cubs, and he probably didn't impress other teams very much with his showing this spring.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
This pleases me.
I like that we gave Hill a chance.

Releasing Stanton and Bako but not Fox worries me a bit though.
i think they plan on taking fox out back and shooting him. cheaper and less painful for all involved.
Wang.
Hoffpauir is in.
<!--quoteo(post=25645:date=Mar 29 2009, 03:28 PM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Mar 29 2009, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The current roster:

<b>Pitchers</b>
Neal Cotts
Ryan Dempster
Chad Gaudin
Kevin Gregg
Angel Guzman
Rich Harden
Aaron Heilman
Ted Lilly
Carlos Marmol
Sean Marshall
David Patton
Jeff Samardzija
Luis Vizcaino
Carlos Zambrano
Mike Stanton
Chad Fox

<b>Catchers </b>
Paul Bako
Koyie Hill
Geovany Soto

<b>Infielders</b>
Mike Fontenot
Micah Hoffpauir
Derrek Lee
Aaron Miles
Aramis Ramirez
Ryan Theriot

<b>Outfielders </b>
Milton Bradley
Kosuke Fukudome
Joey Gathright
Reed Johnson
Alfonso Soriano<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Updated
<!--quoteo(post=25724:date=Mar 30 2009, 09:18 AM:name=sleepyhead)-->QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Mar 30 2009, 09:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think it's fairly obvious that Gaudin is hurt. His career numbers would certainly suggest that he's better than this and something is wrong. Say watch you will about Guzman's inconsistency, but he still has very good stuff and has had decent success as a reliever at the minor league level. Patton has certainly impressed, but his stuff is not overwhelming and there is a reason he has not made it past the levels he has pitched in years past.

Bottom line, DL Gaudin and put Guzman and Patton on the roster. See how they both do and if either fail, you have Shark, Gaudin, Ascanio, Hart, etc. in the minors.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm on board with this. It would be nice if we could keep Patton but it doesn't look feasible. I think Guzman's calling is as a reliever and I'm hoping that's what ends up happening.
Gaudin - DL, Fox - released, Spellcheck to IA?
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=25795:date=Mar 30 2009, 02:26 PM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ Mar 30 2009, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Gaudin - DL, Fox - released, Spellcheck to IA?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Sign me up. I've been saying all spring that Gaudin just hasn't looked right since he hurt his back last summer.
<!--quoteo(post=25795:date=Mar 30 2009, 02:26 PM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ Mar 30 2009, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Gaudin - DL, Fox - released, Spellcheck to IA?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ding ding ding. I actually think Fox might accept a minors assignment, but I don't care.