Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't look now...
<!--quoteo(post=106167:date=Jul 19 2010, 10:40 AM:name=willis)-->QUOTE (willis @ Jul 19 2010, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106164:date=Jul 19 2010, 10:34 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jul 19 2010, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106162:date=Jul 19 2010, 10:14 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 19 2010, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think we need to sweep the Cards if we even want to pretend there's still a prayer.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
And we <i>should</i> have swept the Phillies too, but then Marmol happened.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we lost the next 2 series.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or at least sweep the Ass Holes and then take 2 of 3 from St Louis, I would be happy with that. But, yeah, I am guessing the norm will happen tonight...fall on face, score no runs, lose like 2-0 or something.
It just seems like the trend this season where we play well against good teams, yet look like a laughing stock against the bottom tier teams. Playing up to the level of our competition has been a problem for this team for a long time now, and it makes very little sense.
<!--quoteo(post=106164:date=Jul 19 2010, 10:34 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jul 19 2010, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I wouldn't be surprised at all if we lost the next 2 series.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Way to go out on a limb rok....
Exactly, why the hell so many problems with the likes of the Astros and Pirates? Really, you give me the cubs' normal ass kicking season of the Pirates, maybe not even that much, this team is 5-6 games back instead of 9.5 and are looking to maybe even buy instead of sell. It makes no sense at all other than mental focus, and that comes from the top...lack of leadership and focus is the only answer. You listening Lou??

For some odd reason this team is playing with a little swag and confidence since the break. But here comes the shutout from a bottom feeder in about 8 hours.
Dylan McKay is my hero
<!--quoteo(post=106176:date=Jul 19 2010, 10:12 AM:name=willis)-->QUOTE (willis @ Jul 19 2010, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Exactly, why the hell so many problems with the likes of the Astros and Pirates? Really, you give me the cubs' normal ass kicking season of the Pirates, maybe not even that much, this team is 5-6 games back instead of 9.5 and are looking to maybe even buy instead of sell.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We probably wouldn't even be that far back. But alas, we have no consistency whatsoever, besides consistently being mediocre.
<!--quoteo(post=106161:date=Jul 19 2010, 10:14 AM:name=Dirk)-->QUOTE (Dirk @ Jul 19 2010, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106160:date=Jul 19 2010, 10:55 AM:name=willis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (willis @ Jul 19 2010, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Don't look now but....I was looking at standings last night once I realized they were going to win that game, thinking, "damn, that's 3 of 4 from Philly, it has to count for something right?" Nope, still 9.5 back of first. I think the Cards have hit their skids and are back on track, and the Reds, well, I never expected them to be this good, so falling back to the pack wouldn't surprise me, but I doubt they slip too far, even with the Duster at the helm. So yeah, too little too late. I like winning games no doubt, but hopefully Hendry/Ricketts aren't caught by this with too much mesmiration and if there are good deals to be made, make 'em.

Will say this, if there ever was a last stand, it's this week. Houston at home and then the Cards. I am not expecting much, but if there was one little gasp left in this awful team, it needs to be this week.

I like Colvin and Castro up at the top, and for the sake of the future, keep them there for the rest of the season.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I don't like them at the top from an OBP standpoint as both of them are pretty mediocre at getting on base but from a standpoint of getting them more ABs, I like it.

Yeah, specifically more at bats than Theriot, so it's hard to complain too much about that. At this point I'd probably rather have Castro and Soto 1 and 2, and Colvin 5th or 6th, but whatever.
With Soto's OBP I don't think there is anything (other than speed) wrong with batting him 2nd as you suggest. I just don't think Piniella would ever be so bold as to put a catcher that high in a lineup. Whether right or wrong, that takes a bit of creativity...which old man Lou lacks.
Dylan McKay is my hero
<!--quoteo(post=106211:date=Jul 19 2010, 02:28 PM:name=willis)-->QUOTE (willis @ Jul 19 2010, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->With Soto's OBP I don't think there is anything (other than speed) wrong with batting him 2nd as you suggest. I just don't think Piniella would ever be so bold as to put a catcher that high in a lineup. Whether right or wrong, that takes a bit of creativity...which old man Lou lacks.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, though for me, putting Colvin and his .319 OBP at the top of the order is more "creative" (read: kind of silly).

Just for fun, my batting order at the moment:

Castro
Soto
Byrd
Ramirez
Colvin
Soriano
Lee
Theriot (Is Fontenot even on the team anymore?)
I like that lineup, with the exception regarding exactly what you said...where is Fontenot? He has more pop and more patience than Theriot and he can't be much worse in the field, if not better. I don't get why Lou buries him on the bench like he does.
Dylan McKay is my hero
<!--quoteo(post=106212:date=Jul 19 2010, 02:36 PM:name=Brock)-->QUOTE (Brock @ Jul 19 2010, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106211:date=Jul 19 2010, 02:28 PM:name=willis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (willis @ Jul 19 2010, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->With Soto's OBP I don't think there is anything (other than speed) wrong with batting him 2nd as you suggest. I just don't think Piniella would ever be so bold as to put a catcher that high in a lineup. Whether right or wrong, that takes a bit of creativity...which old man Lou lacks.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, though for me, putting Colvin and his .319 OBP at the top of the order is more "creative" (read: kind of silly).

Castro
Soto
Byrd
Ramirez
Colvin
Soriano
Lee

If it matters any, Castro hit in the #2 spot in the minors.
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=106212:date=Jul 19 2010, 02:36 PM:name=Brock)-->QUOTE (Brock @ Jul 19 2010, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106211:date=Jul 19 2010, 02:28 PM:name=willis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (willis @ Jul 19 2010, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->With Soto's OBP I don't think there is anything (other than speed) wrong with batting him 2nd as you suggest. I just don't think Piniella would ever be so bold as to put a catcher that high in a lineup. Whether right or wrong, that takes a bit of creativity...which old man Lou lacks.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wait a minute...so Colvin's OBP is really, really low now? That really comes out of left field...color me stunned.
I guess Wilken's greatness has been over-emphasized, perhaps.
Colvin, Shark and Vitters, his most well-known picks, have yet to live up to the fanfare (although I'm a huge Cashner fan).
OTOH, one can see Jim's hands all over the Colvin and Shark deals, so maybe Wilken shouldn't be held accountable.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=106216:date=Jul 19 2010, 03:01 PM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ Jul 19 2010, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106212:date=Jul 19 2010, 02:36 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ Jul 19 2010, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106211:date=Jul 19 2010, 02:28 PM:name=willis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (willis @ Jul 19 2010, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->With Soto's OBP I don't think there is anything (other than speed) wrong with batting him 2nd as you suggest. I just don't think Piniella would ever be so bold as to put a catcher that high in a lineup. Whether right or wrong, that takes a bit of creativity...which old man Lou lacks.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Castro
Soto
Byrd
Ramirez
Colvin
Soriano
Lee

If it matters any, Castro hit in the #2 spot in the minors.

Castro or Colvin?
Colstro.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=106218:date=Jul 19 2010, 03:14 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jul 19 2010, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106212:date=Jul 19 2010, 02:36 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ Jul 19 2010, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106211:date=Jul 19 2010, 02:28 PM:name=willis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (willis @ Jul 19 2010, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->With Soto's OBP I don't think there is anything (other than speed) wrong with batting him 2nd as you suggest. I just don't think Piniella would ever be so bold as to put a catcher that high in a lineup. Whether right or wrong, that takes a bit of creativity...which old man Lou lacks.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wait a minute...so Colvin's OBP is really, really low now? That really comes out of left field...color me stunned.
Colvin, Shark and Vitters, his most well-known picks, have yet to live up to the fanfare (although I'm a huge Cashner fan).
OTOH, one can see Jim's hands all over the Colvin and Shark deals, so maybe Wilken shouldn't be held accountable.
March through May, Colvin's OBP was .365.

In June it was .280.

So far in July it is .304.

His AVG and SLG have taken a huge hit since getting more playing time, too.
<!--quoteo(post=106218:date=Jul 19 2010, 03:14 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jul 19 2010, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106212:date=Jul 19 2010, 02:36 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ Jul 19 2010, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106211:date=Jul 19 2010, 02:28 PM:name=willis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (willis @ Jul 19 2010, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->With Soto's OBP I don't think there is anything (other than speed) wrong with batting him 2nd as you suggest. I just don't think Piniella would ever be so bold as to put a catcher that high in a lineup. Whether right or wrong, that takes a bit of creativity...which old man Lou lacks.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To be fair, he's still been pretty damn good with the SLG part of the equation.
<!--quoteo(post=106226:date=Jul 19 2010, 03:27 PM:name=Brock)-->QUOTE (Brock @ Jul 19 2010, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106218:date=Jul 19 2010, 03:14 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jul 19 2010, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106212:date=Jul 19 2010, 02:36 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ Jul 19 2010, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106211:date=Jul 19 2010, 02:28 PM:name=willis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (willis @ Jul 19 2010, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->With Soto's OBP I don't think there is anything (other than speed) wrong with batting him 2nd as you suggest. I just don't think Piniella would ever be so bold as to put a catcher that high in a lineup. Whether right or wrong, that takes a bit of creativity...which old man Lou lacks.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
To be fair, he's still been pretty damn good with the SLG part of the equation.
He's slugged very well indeed. But his OPS+ (which <i>over</i>-empahasizes slugging, so you'd think it would play to his advantage) is 102. That's barely above average for a major-leaguer, but far below average for a corner OFer.
Why?
Because his OPB is terrible. And it always has been, throughout his minor-league and even college career.
So...<b>Cue up broken record</b>: this Cub player has a problem with strike zone judgement and plate discipline, which inevitably lead to poor On-base percentages, only the single most important offensive stat.

And some question whether the organization needs a change at the top.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance