Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Cubs
Hard to say, but that wouldn't surprise me. The chemistry, or lack thereof, has felt off for awhile. Watching the Rays highlights, they seem to have a lot more spark than we do and seem to be enjoying themselves a lot more...but that's probably true for pretty much every other team in the league, aside from the White Sox of course.

One thing's for sure: Winning cures all ills. Last night was pretty much our best game of the season offensively, so that was fun in the moment at least. Now back to sucking just in time for St. Louis to roll into town...
I hate the fucking Motorola patch. I would hate it no matter what size it was, but it's fucking gigantic.

After a total shit season, this feels like a giant middle finger to Cubs fans. Fucking Rickettses...
Is this 2004? I almost forgot Motorola was still a thing.
I don't know...I would hate any sleeve patch, but to have one this large -- it competes with the size of the Cubs logo on the front. It's obnoxious as hell. Also, do we really have to monetize every square inch of everything? There's a goddamned ad on the back of the pitcher's mound. Please make it stop.
Agreed. Atrocious in every way.
Can this team crawl its way back to 500?

They are 3 games under currently and have a couple games against the White Sox coming up so they should get close. Unfortunately, seems like every time they get close to 500, injuries and set backs occur
(08-07-2024, 06:05 PM)1060Ivy Wrote: Can this team crawl its way back to 500?

They are 3 games under currently and have a couple games against the White Sox coming up so they should get close.  Unfortunately, seems like every time they get close to 500, injuries and set backs occur

One of those 2 games against the White Sox is against Crochet, who is really fucking good, so it won't be easy to sweep them.

We also have a bunch of games against the Reds and Pirates and we've absolutely sucked ass against the NL Central.

But maybe we've turned a corner!!!
The longer this season goes on, the more certain I am that Counsell was a waste of resources. I know there are plenty of things that happen behind the scenes that I'm not aware of, but I have not seen anything from him that shows what value he brings to the team. Unless they go on a hot streak, it appears that Ross did more with less.
Don’t agree that Ross has done more with less not that Counsell is a waste. He was a waste for this season but you could also say that Bellinger, Neris, Shota, etc were a waste as Cubs aren’t making the playoffs

2023 had a relatively healthy roster for most of the season and a few players able to produce in clutch situations
I tend to agree with Ivy here. Aside from the offense, our bullpen was historically bad for much of the 1st half of the season as well which wasn't Counsell's fault. If Ross had that same pen, there's no way we would've even sniffed the postseason last year.
I simply don’t see what value Counsell brings. He was supposed to help us win close games and win on the margins. This team is absolute garbage in 1-run games. Is Counsell accountable for any of that or is it all bad luck or injuries?

He’s the most milquetoast, bland, boring baseball person I’ve ever seen. Does he ever stand up for his players? Does he ever get fired up?

Again, I’m sure there’s stuff happening in the clubhouse or dugout that I’m not seeing, but I’ve watched probably 85% of the games so far this season and his in-game decisions have often been pretty questionable.

The roster has been very healthy as a whole for a while now and the bullpen has had nearly a complete turnover and the team is still underperforming.

If you think Counsell is earning his Highest Paid Manager in Baseball distinction, you’re definitely seeing something I’m not seeing. I’d honestly rather have Ross back.
You'd seriously rather have Ross back? I think you forget just how lackluster and outclassed Ross was as a manager.

I agree Counsell hasn't been off to a great start, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now at least, and I'd definitely take him over Ross all day, every day.
I definitely don't feel the need to look at this through Ross-colored glasses Wink
I’m not saying Ross was great, but I don’t see any evidence that Counsell is better in any way. Everyone thought he was a genius because he managed low-payroll teams in Milwaukee that played well. And rather than assuming Milwaukee is simply a well run organization that scouts and develops players really well, Hoyer assumed that Counsell unlocked some secret magic and turned a mediocre roster into an overachieving roster.
I mean…here’s a question. Why the fuck does Counsell keep Neris in the closer role? There are several options in the bullpen who would be way better.