Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peavy Talk
Peavy deal to Cubs dead

LAS VEGAS -- San Diego general manager Kevin Towers just told reporters that a proposed deal to send pitcher Jake Peavy to the Chicago Cubs was dead.

"It doesn't look like anything is going to happen with the Cubs," Towers said.

Towers indicated that Cubs GM Jim Hendry pulled out of the deal.

"He said he's got other things going on. I respect his position," Towers said.

Towers will meet with team CEO Sandy Alderson on Monday and speak with Peavy's agent, Barry Axelrod, in the coming days to see where they go next.

Towers said one option is pulling Peavy off the trading block and going into the 2009 season with him at the front of the starting rotation.
A herd of buffalo can move only as fast as the slowest buffalo. When the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/spit.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/spit.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/spit.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/spit.gif[/img]
@TheBlogfines
OK, then. So much for that.
Plus Towers is playing the good fool, blabbing about this and showing his hand every chance he gets. He would make a terrible poker player.

He's backed himself into a corner so poorly that he pretty much has to get it done, and he's probably also written his own ticket out of town when it's all said and done.
Well, I look foolish now.
The thing that bums me out about this most is that we're probably keeping Marquis now.
<!--quoteo(post=3796:date=Dec 11 2008, 12:13 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Dec 11 2008, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The thing that bums me out about this most is that we're probably keeping Marquis now.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm now completely convinced that we're getting Peavy.
<!--quoteo(post=3799:date=Dec 11 2008, 12:16 PM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Dec 11 2008, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3796:date=Dec 11 2008, 12:13 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Dec 11 2008, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The thing that bums me out about this most is that we're probably keeping Marquis now.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm now completely convinced that we're getting Peavy.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As a 5th starter I have no problem with Marquis...especially when we have Marshall to cover for him. In the playoffs Marquis won't start so it isn't a big deal. Use our money to go out and get the OFer we want and then shore up the rest of the team. I am not heartbroken over not getting Peavy.
Give it a few hours - a deal will be reportedly imminent again. This has been Brian Roberts v2.0. This deal has gone from being close to on life support to being imminent to being dead on a daily basis.

Towers is a chode and fulled the whole thing by talking so openly with the press. I don't think him saying the deal is off is realistic by any stretch of the imagination. Possibly just trying to put pressure back on Hendry knowing Hendry has the upper hand?

At the end of the day - if we get him, great. However I won't be losing any sleep over not getting him either.

The on-again, off-again negotiations between the Cubs and San Diego Padres for pitcher Jake Peavy are over.

The Cubs informed the Padres they're moving on without the 2007 NL Cy Young winner.

Jim Hendry is expected to speak to the media at approximately 1 p.m.

The San Diego Union Tribune first reported that talks are over today, the last full day of baseball's Winter Meetings.
I'm moving on. Let's get an OF and I can go back to hating Jake Penis.
If we wouldn;t have resigned Dempster, this would be a big deal. But we did resign Dempster, so it's not. Let's move on to signing another corner OFer and filling out the bench.
What a cocktease that was. Here comes Randy Johnson.
<!--quoteo(post=3813:date=Dec 11 2008, 12:41 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Dec 11 2008, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->What a cocktease that was. Here comes Randy Johnson.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'd only want him if Marquis is a goner. And even then, I don't see what the point is, and Johnson had better not be here for more than 1 year. Still, this sounds like a lot of speculation.
you could do a lot worse than randy johnson as your #5.
Wang.