Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peavy Talk
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->"We had more dialogue today than any other day," Towers said of his talks with Hendry. "We'll know [Thursday]. Before we check out of this hotel ... we'll know if we have a deal. This has been the entire focus of baseball [operations]."

Towers said for the first time Wednesday that, in all likelihood, a fourth team would need to be involved in a deal with the Cubs and the Phillies to ensure the Padres get the package of players, Major League-ready pitching as well as prospects, they want for Peavy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Towers is a tool. I'm sick of all his fucking blabbing. He's just trying to put pressure on Hendry to get a deal done by talking to the press, and clearly, Hendry doesn't have to do a thing if it's not up to his liking.
Towers says the deadline is today. Whatever that means.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=3652:date=Dec 11 2008, 07:37 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 11 2008, 07:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Towers says the deadline is today. Whatever that means.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That means that either they've agreed on a deal in principle with a few tweaks needed, or they've already decided that the two sides can't match up. He just wants to sound like he's putting his foot down.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs are willing to trade Mark DeRosa to get a deal done for San Diego Padres right-hander Jake Peavy, but they appear unwilling to part with the pitching depth left-hander Sean Marshall provides -- even if it means they don't land the 2007 National League Cy Young winner.

As the final full day of business at the winter meetings wound down Wednesday, Padres general manager Kevin Towers and Cubs GM Jim Hendry were expected to talk again about Peavy. But it looked increasingly likely that the parties would leave Las Vegas today without a deal in place, despite Towers' self-imposed deadline of having clarity on the subject by then.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Sources said the Padres considered the ball in Hendry's court in terms of making a potential three-team deal involving the Philadelphia Phillies happen. But the Cubs are operating without the same sense of urgency as the Padres, which seems to put the greater pressure on Towers.

That said, a Cubs source said there was still a feeling in the organization that a deal would get done. And Towers told San Diego media that he expected to know by today and that it might take a fourth team.

A source with the Phillies confirmed their interest in DeRosa, but he characterized the talks as slowing down. The source called the list of three Phillies minor-leaguers that ESPN reported were being considered in the trade ''erroneous.'' The report said two of the three would go to the Padres for DeRosa.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link.
<!--quoteo(post=3562:date=Dec 10 2008, 08:05 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 10 2008, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3550:date=Dec 10 2008, 08:41 PM:name=Sandberg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sandberg @ Dec 10 2008, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3487:date=Dec 10 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 10 2008, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Eh. You get no cred if you say it gets done, anymore. Only way is to say it doesn't get done (which was always probably a 50/50 thing), and then when it doesn't, you called it. And if it does, no one cares because we've got Peavy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

O RLY??

<!--quoteo(post=289:date=yesterday... Waaay before Ace!:name=Sandberg)-->QUOTE (Sandberg @ yesterday... Waaay before Ace!) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It could be. But I'm guessing that he knows it's difficult for trades in general to get done, so he's saying it isn't going to happen so he can look more credible if it doesn't. And if he's wrong, nobody will care because of the euphoria over the trade.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] My bust.

you made a greivous boner.

(am i spelling greivous right?)
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=3659:date=Dec 11 2008, 07:11 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 11 2008, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3562:date=Dec 10 2008, 08:05 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 10 2008, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3550:date=Dec 10 2008, 08:41 PM:name=Sandberg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sandberg @ Dec 10 2008, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3487:date=Dec 10 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 10 2008, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Eh. You get no cred if you say it gets done, anymore. Only way is to say it doesn't get done (which was always probably a 50/50 thing), and then when it doesn't, you called it. And if it does, no one cares because we've got Peavy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

O RLY??

<!--quoteo(post=289:date=yesterday... Waaay before Ace!:name=Sandberg)-->QUOTE (Sandberg @ yesterday... Waaay before Ace!) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It could be. But I'm guessing that he knows it's difficult for trades in general to get done, so he's saying it isn't going to happen so he can look more credible if it doesn't. And if he's wrong, nobody will care because of the euphoria over the trade.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm afraid you've made a dreadful miscue. The correct spelling is grievous.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=3673:date=Dec 11 2008, 07:28 AM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Dec 11 2008, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3659:date=Dec 11 2008, 07:11 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 11 2008, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3562:date=Dec 10 2008, 08:05 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 10 2008, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3550:date=Dec 10 2008, 08:41 PM:name=Sandberg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sandberg @ Dec 10 2008, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3487:date=Dec 10 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 10 2008, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Eh. You get no cred if you say it gets done, anymore. Only way is to say it doesn't get done (which was always probably a 50/50 thing), and then when it doesn't, you called it. And if it does, no one cares because we've got Peavy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

O RLY??

I'm afraid you've made a dreadful miscue. The correct spelling is grievous.

Are you sure that's not a misqueue?
it's not "i before e except after g"? i realy am an uneducated swine.
Wang.
That was more like an egregious flub in my book.
I love you guys!
MLB Homeplate is saying that if the Braves miss out on Burnett and Lowe that to look for them to jump back in the race for Peavy.
<!--quoteo(post=3783:date=Dec 11 2008, 12:47 PM:name=cigar)-->QUOTE (cigar @ Dec 11 2008, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->MLB Homeplate is saying that if the Braves miss out on Burnett and Lowe that to look for them to jump back in the race for Peavy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Well they keep saying Peavy only wants to be a Cub. Olney said that again this morning on Mike&Mike, and that this deal will happen, it has to happen because it's the only place Peavy will go and the Padres are being forced by ownership to slash payroll.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=3786:date=Dec 11 2008, 11:53 AM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 11 2008, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3783:date=Dec 11 2008, 12:47 PM:name=cigar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cigar @ Dec 11 2008, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->MLB Homeplate is saying that if the Braves miss out on Burnett and Lowe that to look for them to jump back in the race for Peavy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Well they keep saying Peavy only wants to be a Cub. Olney said that again this morning on Mike&Mike, and that this deal will happen, it has to happen because it's the only place Peavy will go and the Padres are being forced by ownership to slash payroll.
Honestly, Hendry couldn't be put in a better position.

- We don't *need* Peavy, so we aren't desperate for him.

- Towers is being forced to unload Peavy's contract.

- Peavy has a full no-trade clause and he apparently has a hard-on for the Cubs.

- Hendry is in no hurry and he knows that he has the upper hand.

If Hendry decides he wants Peavy, he should be able to land him -- with a pretty sub-par package, too. I think he's playing it smart, too -- showing plenty of patience, like, "Hey, it would be great to have Peavy, but we have a solid rotation already. If you want to give him to us, great. We'll take his salary. Here's who you can have." At least...that's how I imagine it.

I think this whole thing is pretty hilarious.
<!--quoteo(post=3788:date=Dec 11 2008, 01:00 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Dec 11 2008, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3786:date=Dec 11 2008, 11:53 AM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 11 2008, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3783:date=Dec 11 2008, 12:47 PM:name=cigar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cigar @ Dec 11 2008, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->MLB Homeplate is saying that if the Braves miss out on Burnett and Lowe that to look for them to jump back in the race for Peavy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Honestly, Hendry couldn't be put in a better position.

- We don't *need* Peavy, so we aren't desperate for him.

- Towers is being forced to unload Peavy's contract.

- Peavy has a full no-trade clause and he apparently has a hard-on for the Cubs.

- Hendry is in no hurry and he knows that he has the upper hand.

If Hendry decides he wants Peavy, he should be able to land him -- with a pretty sub-par package, too. I think he's playing it smart, too -- showing plenty of patience, like, "Hey, it would be great to have Peavy, but we have a solid rotation already. If you want to give him to us, great. We'll take his salary. Here's who you can have." At least...that's how I imagine it.

I think this whole thing is pretty hilarious.
Agreed.
@TheBlogfines