Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peavy Talk
<!--quoteo(post=3229:date=Dec 10 2008, 01:16 AM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 10 2008, 01:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3227:date=Dec 10 2008, 01:08 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 10 2008, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Some of you guys are waaaaaaaay too dramatic.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
How? Everything about Bradley is right on at least. Over 400 at bats twice in 8 years, causing trouble when he's actually healthy pretty much every year. Nobody doubts he's a great talent but if you aren't very concerned about these things, you're not being realistic at all.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It has little to do with what you think about Bradley (although the predictions about how his season will go are a bit out of hand). I more have a problem with a fact that you're basically going off about two moves THAT HAVEN'T EVEN HAPPENED YET!

All we have to go off of so far is basically guessing by the media. The way that last post went, I would have guessed we already signed Aurilia and Bradley and traded for Peavy.

Just take it easy man. Things will shape up soon enough and then you can flip out if you like. I just see your mind going a million miles a hour and just think you're putting yourself through too much when nothing has happened.
Also, I think your worrying is a bit one sided. I see you on one hand trumpeting in the signing of Ibanez who is going to be 37 this summer. To me, I think there's just as much risk in signing him as Bradley. I personally believe he's more risky because I think there's a better chance his numbers fall off due to age, but I'm not going to push for that.

You have to at least admit that there's close to the same amount of risk involved in signing either Bradley or Ibanez.
<!--quoteo(post=3233:date=Dec 10 2008, 01:48 AM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 10 2008, 01:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3229:date=Dec 10 2008, 01:16 AM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 10 2008, 01:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3227:date=Dec 10 2008, 01:08 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 10 2008, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Some of you guys are waaaaaaaay too dramatic.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
How? Everything about Bradley is right on at least. Over 400 at bats twice in 8 years, causing trouble when he's actually healthy pretty much every year. Nobody doubts he's a great talent but if you aren't very concerned about these things, you're not being realistic at all.

It has little to do with what you think about Bradley (although the predictions about how his season will go are a bit out of hand). I more have a problem with a fact that you're basically going off about two moves THAT HAVEN'T EVEN HAPPENED YET!

All we have to go off of so far is basically guessing by the media. The way that last post went, I would have guessed we already signed Aurilia and Bradley and traded for Peavy.

Just take it easy man. Things will shape up soon enough and then you can flip out if you like. I just see your mind going a million miles a hour and just think you're putting yourself through too much when nothing has happened.
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] This organization will never have me calm. We're the joke of sports, there's nothing to be relaxed about. Until we win a game in October, I don't care if we go 162-0, this is how I'm gonna be.
I do trust Jim Hendry though, so I don't think he'll trade DeRosa... we'll see. And if we sign Bradley I'll definitely give Bradley a chance and think he's a great player, I'm just expecting it to be a disaster.

As for Ibanez, my eyes watching him play last year told me he's got 2-3 more good seasons left. He's been rock solid for 7 years straight, his numbers haven't dipped a bit and they're not all of a sudden just going to decline significantly in one season. I certainly wouldn't get in a bidding war for him though and probably wouldn't give him over 10 million, and preferably 2 years.

And there's a reason Milton Bradley's been on 6 teams in 8 years.
@TheBlogfines
Good.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Philadelphia Phillies are involved in the multi-team talks, <b>but according to a Phillies official, despite the team's interest in Mark DeRosa, he didn't expect the Cubs to include the versatile infielder/ outfielder</b>. The Phillies have interest in other Cubs players, said the official, who wouldn't get more specific<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Link(Wittenmyer)

And I wonder what other players theyd have interest in(Fontenot?).
@TheBlogfines
I think it would have to be a middle INF with Utley out. Do we have anyone of worth in AAA? Besides Cedeno and Lil' Babe....I can't think of anyone.
"If you throw at someone's head, it's very dangerous, because in the head is the brain." -- Pudge Rodriguez to AM 1270 WXYT in Detroit
<!--quoteo(post=3243:date=Dec 10 2008, 02:31 AM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 10 2008, 02:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Good.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Philadelphia Phillies are involved in the multi-team talks, <b>but according to a Phillies official, despite the team's interest in Mark DeRosa, he didn't expect the Cubs to include the versatile infielder/ outfielder</b>. The Phillies have interest in other Cubs players, said the official, who wouldn't get more specific<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Link(Wittenmyer)

And I wonder what other players theyd have interest in(Fontenot?).

Maybe Theriot
<i>If</i> the Cubs sign Bradley, DeRosa is the exact type of player that needs to remain on the team . . . from a versatility and leadership aspect.
<!--quoteo(post=3233:date=Dec 10 2008, 12:48 AM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 10 2008, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3229:date=Dec 10 2008, 01:16 AM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 10 2008, 01:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3227:date=Dec 10 2008, 01:08 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 10 2008, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Some of you guys are waaaaaaaay too dramatic.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Scarey...did YOU just call someone else dramatic?
Of all the Cubs players from last season, DeRo is the one I'm really worried about having a HUGE drop off in production. I mean, this season kind of come out of nowhere. He had career years in like every major offensive category.

I know that you can say this about every player, but I just feel as though we could all be very disappointed come October with DeRo's numbers.
<!--quoteo(post=3258:date=Dec 10 2008, 07:24 AM:name=Quinn)-->QUOTE (Quinn @ Dec 10 2008, 07:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Of all the Cubs players from last season, DeRo is the one I'm really worried about having a HUGE drop off in production. I mean, this season kind of come out of nowhere. He had career years in like every major offensive category.

I know that you can say this about every player, but I just feel as though we could all be very disappointed come October with DeRo's numbers.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
It's more than just his numbers though. Even if he goes back to pre-Cub days, him hitting .260 or whatever is still better than most of our options and it gives us a chance to try and find an upgrade in many positions. He can play 3b,2b,rf, and maybe some lf? or short if it was do or die. 1b a little?

"If you throw at someone's head, it's very dangerous, because in the head is the brain." -- Pudge Rodriguez to AM 1270 WXYT in Detroit
<!--quoteo(post=3258:date=Dec 10 2008, 07:24 AM:name=Quinn)-->QUOTE (Quinn @ Dec 10 2008, 07:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Of all the Cubs players from last season, DeRo is the one I'm really worried about having a HUGE drop off in production. I mean, this season kind of come out of nowhere. He had career years in like every major offensive category.

I know that you can say this about every player, but I just feel as though we could all be very disappointed come October with DeRo's numbers.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Last year wasn't a career year for him(aside from the HR and RBI totals), just sayin'. He had a career year with the Rangers 2 years ago, then came to the Cubs for 2 good seasons. His last 3 years have all been real good. There may be a drop off, but I wouldn't expect it to be dramatic.
<!--quoteo(post=3262:date=Dec 10 2008, 08:09 AM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 10 2008, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3258:date=Dec 10 2008, 07:24 AM:name=Quinn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quinn @ Dec 10 2008, 07:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Of all the Cubs players from last season, DeRo is the one I'm really worried about having a HUGE drop off in production. I mean, this season kind of come out of nowhere. He had career years in like every major offensive category.

Last year wasn't a career year for him(aside from the HR and RBI totals), just sayin'. He had a career year with the Rangers 2 years ago, then came to the Cubs for 2 good seasons. His last 3 years have all been real good. There may be a drop off, but I wouldn't expect it to be dramatic.

i was just going to say that. last year wasn't a career year. the last three years were career years.
Wang.
It's impossible for a Cub fan to NOT like Mark DeRo, but he's ready for a drop-off. I agree that it may not be dramatic, and perhaps he's that one-in-a-hundred player who improves during his 30's. But the odds are decidedly against that, and baseball logic dictates that we should trade him now, at his relative peak in value.
His current value seems to dictate that we'd get a damn good pitcher for him, or maybe a starting CF type.

Because of Chase Utley's serious injury,the Phils are probably desperate for a fill-in 2nd baseman type, and we have TWO guys who fit that bill pretty well, so I do see them as a good trading partner.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
Any chance of Fuk going to the Phillies? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sleep.gif[/img]

What sort of no trade clause does he have if any at all?
<!--quoteo(post=3287:date=Dec 10 2008, 08:18 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 10 2008, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Any chance of Fuk going to the Phillies? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sleep.gif[/img]

What sort of no trade clause does he have if any at all?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Kosuke Fukudome of
4 years/$48M (2008-11)

* signed 12/12/07 as a free agent from Japan (Chunichi)
* $4M signing bonus
* 08:$6M, 09:$11.5M, 10:$13M, 11:$13.5M
<b>* no-trade protection</b>
* club must sign Fukudome to an extension by 11/15/2011 or release him, allowing him to become a free agent
* award bonuses: $0.3M each for MVP, WS MVP, $0.2M for LCS MVP, $0.1M Silver Slugger, $75,000 each for Gold Glove, All Star
* perks: 8 first-class round-trip air tickets between Japan and Chicago for family each year, personal trainer, masseuse, interpreter, visa expenses, $25,000 annually in moving expenses, vehicle during spring training and regular season
* Fukudome to make annual donation to club charity
* agent: Joe Urbon
* ML service: 0.000<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->