Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peavy Talk
<!--quoteo(post=3198:date=Dec 9 2008, 09:40 PM:name=Kid)-->QUOTE (Kid @ Dec 9 2008, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Do not Google image search Kerry Sayers<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Too late . . .
<!--quoteo(post=2900:date=Dec 9 2008, 12:28 PM:name=coolpoppa)-->QUOTE (coolpoppa @ Dec 9 2008, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's coming soon.... I just hope it doesn't end up involving Derosa.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I will be perfectly fine if DeRo gets traded for Peavy. He just had a career year (so his value will never be higher) and he's on the last year of his deal (a one year deal is VERY attractive to any team)

I think this is the perfect time to trade DeRo. I DON'T want Aruilea (sp?) but I wouldn't mind a platoon of Fontenot/Durahm ( or anyone of his ilk)

"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
Was this already posted? Stark:
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Jake Peavy may still wind up as a Chicago Cub. But if that trade goes down, it won't happen during the winter meetings, according to a baseball source with knowledge of those discussions.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=3205:date=Dec 9 2008, 08:24 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 9 2008, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Was this already posted? Stark:
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Jake Peavy may still wind up as a Chicago Cub. But if that trade goes down, it won't happen during the winter meetings, according to a baseball source with knowledge of those discussions.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They all just need to shut up right now.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Padres and Cubs were scheduled to hold another session of talks later Tuesday evening, according to San Diego general manager Kevin Towers, who said he "feels probably better today at this time than yesterday at this time" regarding the progress of the trade talks.

"We've made some progress," Towers said. "We're just not there yet."

He described the Cubs as having some work to do. Though he wasn't specific, sources with knowledge of the talks say the Cubs must move payroll to take on the $63 million Peavy is owed over the next four years.

Specifically, they're attempting to move pitcher Jason Marquis and his $9.875 million salary owed for 2009.

Though Towers said the Padres and Cubs haven't completely settled on the pieces Chicago would send to San Diego, there is general agreement. Third base prospect Josh Vitters certainly would be in the package, which also is expected to include right-handed pitcher Kevin Hart and possibly pitcher Angel Guzman. Shortstop Ronny Cedeno is also a possibility.

A third team almost certainly would need to be involved, and possibly, according to Towers, a fourth club.

Philadelphia, which could end up acquiring infielder Mark DeRosa from the Cubs and sending pitcher J.A. Happ or catcher Chris Coste to the Padres, remains one possibility.

Baltimore, which would sent pitcher Garret Olson to the Cubs for outfielder Felix Pie -- and then the Cubs would pass Olson along to the Padres -- remains another possibility.

The Cubs were said to have been approached by another club -- or more -- Tuesday involving players that could be in the Peavy deal. That could mean either Marquis or DeRosa, or both.

Another twist, that likely will mean more delays if this deal is to be completed: The Padres are looking to pick one player -- and perhaps more -- in Thursday morning's Rule 5 draft and, as a result, they may need to clear some space on their 40-man roster to make room for some of the players in a potential Peavy trade.

That presents a scenario in which the Cubs and Padres could agree to a deal in a day or two but delay announcing it until Friday, Saturday or later.

Towers said he believes Hendry has the power to move now in personnel decisions despite the Cubs' impending sale.

"My impression is he has the ability to move if he is comfortable with what he's giving up," Towers said.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link.
Z's pal:
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->While general manager Jim Hendry said he spoke to representatives of three or four free agents Tuesday on the second day of baseball's winter meetings, the Jake Peavy rumors continue to take center stage.

Hendry declined to comment on talk that Mark DeRosa was headed to Philadelphia for pitching prospects that would be sent to San Diego to complete a potential Peavy deal, but Phillies sources insisted a deal was in place and ready to go if the Cubs decide to pull the trigger with the Padres.

Cubs Chairman Crane Kenney said the team can afford to add a lucrative long-term contract even without knowing exactly who the new owner will be, which suggests Peavy's $63 million contract is within the projected budgets that already have been presented to the bidders.

"We think within the budget we have, we have enough room to do most of the things we need to do," Kenney said.

While nothing appears imminent, the Cubs have done enough groundwork on the Peavy deal to pull it off quickly. According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, Jason Marquis would replace Sean Marshall in the package going to the Padres, with the Cubs eating more than half of his $9.8 million salary. The Phillies would send two pitching prospects to the Padres while acquiring DeRosa from the Cubs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Asked about trading the popular second baseman, Hendry replied: "I don't talk about our guys."

If DeRosa were traded, Mike Fontenot would move to second base, and the Cubs would sign a veteran backup. Manager Lou Piniella said Monday that Fontenot also would be given playing time at short in spring training.

But first, the Cubs are focusing on finding a left-handed, middle-of-the-order hitter, and may be closing in on switch-hitter Milton Bradley. The Cubs also have interest in free-agent outfielder Bobby Abreu, but there had been no formal talks as of Tuesday evening. Abreu's agent, Peter Greenberg, said the Yankees outfielder is interested in the Cubs.

But Bradley is a less-expensive option who has played 468 career games in center field and 151 in right, meaning Piniella could play Kosuke Fukudome in right against right-handers and use Reed Johnson in center against lefties, with Bradley moving to right.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link(Tribune)
@TheBlogfines
I will be disappointed if my boy DeRosa is traded away. Especially if he is replaced by Fontenot. I like the firey little ginger cajun, but not everyday. If he is, then Roberts would have to be included in some way.
<!--quoteo(post=3221:date=Dec 9 2008, 11:30 PM:name=Dingo)-->QUOTE (Dingo @ Dec 9 2008, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I will be disappointed if my boy DeRosa is traded away. Especially if he is replaced by Fontenot. I like the firey little ginger cajun, but not everyday. If he is, then Roberts would have to be included in some way.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
And we're not going to have the prospects to get him as well.

If DeRo's in this deal, I'm going to fucking hate it. Again, Marquis is a fine #5 pitcher and he's had a winning record with us. We have 4 good October pitchers, what you need, maybe the best 4 in the league still.

Now we're going to be playing Fontenot everyday, and while I think he'd be fine at it, there's no guarantee. We'd be likely losing Cedeno as well, so we lose our backup SS, 3B, and 2B between him and DeRosa. That's where sexy Dick Aurilia comes in! Then we sign Milton Bradley, he plays 90 games max, and while he's out, we have Fuk, Reed, and Fontenot all starting. Do you all believe Milton Bradley's going to play a full season without trouble on the Chicago Cubs? Do you remember who we are?

Anyway, how is this better than a team that just won 97 games? Depth was one of the reasons we were so good.
@TheBlogfines
Vegas Swami is going to make a prediction. Derosa goes nowhere. And the Peavy trade eventually collapses and doesn't get done.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Do you all believe Milton Bradley's going to play a full season without trouble on the Chicago Cubs?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And no, I don't believe it. He's a fuckhead. People who think he's mellowed are mistaken. He charged up to the press box this past season because he was pissed about something.
Some of you guys are waaaaaaaay too dramatic.
<!--quoteo(post=3227:date=Dec 10 2008, 01:08 AM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 10 2008, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Some of you guys are waaaaaaaay too dramatic.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
How? Everything about Bradley is right on at least. Over 400 at bats twice in 8 years, causing trouble when he's actually healthy pretty much every year. Nobody doubts he's a great talent but if you aren't very concerned about these things, you're not being realistic at all.
@TheBlogfines
I'm really just starting to feel uneasy. I mean, this club had 97 wins last season. I know we choked hard in the playoffs, but if I'm not mistaken it was more on the offense not being able to hit the fucking ball and Dempster setting the tone of the series by forgetting how to pitch a fucking strike.

I understand we would have a sick rotation with Peavy, but at what cost? Maybe I'm just opposed to change. Maybe I'm overreacting. I don't know. What I do know is that we have great defense (excluding LF [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]) with very good starting pitching and decent offense. I also understand we are in 'win at all costs' mode right now and we can't fail lest this club be set back substantially.

I'd rather just get a bat with good if not great defense and some arms to shore up the bullpen.

Of course, in the end, it doesn't matter what I think about the situation. I just hope Hendry can pull off some magic and trade Marquis, Cedeno, and Pie for Peavy and Roberts. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

<!--quoteo(post=3230:date=Dec 10 2008, 12:22 AM:name=biggz)-->QUOTE (biggz @ Dec 10 2008, 12:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm really just starting to feel uneasy. I mean, this club had 97 wins last season. I know we choked hard in the playoffs, but if I'm not mistaken it was more on the offense not being able to hit the fucking ball and Dempster setting the tone of the series by forgetting how to pitch a fucking strike.

I understand we would have a sick rotation with, but at what cost? Maybe I'm just opposed to change. Maybe I'm overreacting. I don't know. What I do know is that we have great defense (excluding LF [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]) with very good starting pitching and decent offense. I also understand we are in 'win at all costs' mode right now and we can't fail lest this club be set back substantially.

I'd rather just get a bat with good if not great defense and some arms to shore up the bullpen.

Of course, in the end, it doesn't matter what I think about the situation. I just hope Hendry can pull off some magic and trade Marquis, Cedeno, and Pie for Peavy and Roberts. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I like you.
@TheBlogfines
Why, thank you...and I like that avatar.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v