Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peavy Talk
DeLuca
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->''There's one ballclub we are talking to, so we'll see what's there,'' Towers said. ''We should have a pretty good picture of where we're at certainly by Thursday.''

Since the general managers meetings last month, Towers and Cubs GM Jim Hendry have engaged in steady discussions centering on Peavy. One source close to Hendry characterized the Cubs as ''very close'' to closing the deal.

Sources say Towers has been trying to get creative to expedite a deal, arranging various scenarios involving one or two other teams to complete the package. The Padres would like to get five players in return for Peavy.
<b>
Cubs and Baltimore Orioles sources confirmed that one element of the deal is virtually set, with the Cubs sending outfield prospect Felix Pie to the Orioles for pitcher Garrett Olson, who would be shipped to San Diego in the Peavy swap. A second team, believed to be the Philadelphia Phillies, also could help beef up the package of prospects. The Phils reportedly have interest in Cubs utilityman Mark DeRosa.
</b>
Hendry has not been as willing to discuss the negotiations as Towers -- and the Padres GM's frankness has irked the Cubs -- but sources say the Cubs would first like to land the left-handed bat they need and clear salary space by dealing right-hander Jason Marquis before closing the Peavy deal. Marquis is set to earn $9.875 million in 2009, but a source said the Cubs might eat $4 million or more of that salary.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Link(Sun-Times)
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=2701:date=Dec 9 2008, 01:56 AM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Dec 9 2008, 01:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2699:date=Dec 9 2008, 12:54 AM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 9 2008, 12:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Rosenthal:
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs tried to interest the Phillies in Marquis, but received only lukewarm interest. Cubs infielder/outfielder Mark DeRosa, who attended the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, would fit the Phillies' need for a right-handed hitting replacement for departing free agent Pat Burrell.

DeRosa has been among the names under discussion, but according to one source, the Cubs' attempts to involve a third team in the Peavy discussions have involved "probably 20 names with four to five clubs." And an agreement is still not close.

No Peavy deal will be completed until the Cubs' new owner is decided, sources say. The new owner would need to approve the addition of Peavy, who is owed $63 million.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, they can still agree to the trade, but if that's true, Peavy but not officially be a Cub until March. Whatev.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There is no way anyone is going to wait that long. What if the new owner says No in March, then everyone else is screwed. Talks wouldn't have got near this far if we needed new owner approval.
Good point.
@TheBlogfines
C'mon Jim.
[Image: git-r-done.jpg]
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=2701:date=Dec 8 2008, 11:56 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Dec 8 2008, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2699:date=Dec 9 2008, 12:54 AM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 9 2008, 12:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Rosenthal:
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs tried to interest the Phillies in Marquis, but received only lukewarm interest. Cubs infielder/outfielder Mark DeRosa, who attended the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, would fit the Phillies' need for a right-handed hitting replacement for departing free agent Pat Burrell.

DeRosa has been among the names under discussion, but according to one source, the Cubs' attempts to involve a third team in the Peavy discussions have involved "probably 20 names with four to five clubs." And an agreement is still not close.

No Peavy deal will be completed until the Cubs' new owner is decided, sources say. The new owner would need to approve the addition of Peavy, who is owed $63 million.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, they can still agree to the trade, but if that's true, Peavy but not officially be a Cub until March. Whatev.

There is no way anyone is going to wait that long. What if the new owner says No in March, then everyone else is screwed. Talks wouldn't have got near this far if we needed new owner approval.
That sounds like a disaster in the making. The Union would never allow Peavy to waive his no-trade under those conditions.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=2619:date=Dec 8 2008, 10:00 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Dec 8 2008, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2596:date=Dec 8 2008, 08:59 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 8 2008, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2582:date=Dec 8 2008, 09:42 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 8 2008, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->barry bonds is the exception that proves the rule. how many times did he get to hit with runners in scoring position? he walked 200 times. the reason he has so many solo home runs is because that was the only time teams would pitch to him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Tom gets it.

Pujols has knocked in over 120 once in the last 4 years. Is he also the exception to the rule? In 2006 he had 137. The next year, he had almost 35 less RBI in 35 more at bats. Did he become unclutch?

Lance Berkman went from 136 to 102 in one year.

magglio ordonez went from 139 to 103.

In almost all these cases, the players were on teams that went from being good offensively to bad. When a players team gets worse, his rbi totals tend to drop as well. That can't be coincidence.

dude, why do you keep focusing on 120 rbi? i never said that was the high water mark. all i said was that ryan howard would drive in 120 runs no matter where he played. pujols is most definitely a run producer.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=2632:date=Dec 8 2008, 10:19 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 8 2008, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2619:date=Dec 8 2008, 11:00 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Dec 8 2008, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2596:date=Dec 8 2008, 08:59 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 8 2008, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2582:date=Dec 8 2008, 09:42 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 8 2008, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->barry bonds is the exception that proves the rule. how many times did he get to hit with runners in scoring position? he walked 200 times. the reason he has so many solo home runs is because that was the only time teams would pitch to him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Tom gets it.

Pujols has knocked in over 120 once in the last 4 years. Is he also the exception to the rule? In 2006 he had 137. The next year, he had almost 35 less RBI in 35 more at bats. Did he become unclutch?

In almost all these cases, the players were on teams that went from being good offensively to bad. When a players team gets worse, his rbi totals tend to drop as well. That can't be coincidence.

There's no doubt RBI numbers are going to go down when you don't have guys getting on base, but certain guys are going to get more runs in than most hitters in that situation. Adam Dunn has hit over 40 homers 4 times, and his high in RBI is 106. Why? Because he only hits home runs. He doesn't put the ball in play with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs and get RBI's that the guys like Ibanez do. Adam Dunn will never be a very good RBIman because of that. You have to make contact. And he's been a part of some solid lineups.

Certain guys are clearly clutch, if you don't believe that, I don't know what to tell ya. Aramis Ramirez and Manny Ramirez for example become different hitters when they have good RBI opportunities, especially late in games.

clapp gets it. and correct me if i'm wrong, but hasn't dunn played on some pretty good offensive teams?
Wang.
Rosenthal is an idiot for saying a deal won't be made until a new owner is in place. That would be ST. Also, reports were pretty adamant that all of the potential owners ok'd our payroll and budget going into the meetings, so he's talking out of his ass.
<!--quoteo(post=2767:date=Dec 9 2008, 09:08 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 9 2008, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2632:date=Dec 8 2008, 10:19 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 8 2008, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2619:date=Dec 8 2008, 11:00 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Dec 8 2008, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2596:date=Dec 8 2008, 08:59 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 8 2008, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2582:date=Dec 8 2008, 09:42 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 8 2008, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->barry bonds is the exception that proves the rule. how many times did he get to hit with runners in scoring position? he walked 200 times. the reason he has so many solo home runs is because that was the only time teams would pitch to him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Tom gets it.

There's no doubt RBI numbers are going to go down when you don't have guys getting on base, but certain guys are going to get more runs in than most hitters in that situation. Adam Dunn has hit over 40 homers 4 times, and his high in RBI is 106. Why? Because he only hits home runs. He doesn't put the ball in play with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs and get RBI's that the guys like Ibanez do. Adam Dunn will never be a very good RBIman because of that. You have to make contact. And he's been a part of some solid lineups.

Certain guys are clearly clutch, if you don't believe that, I don't know what to tell ya. Aramis Ramirez and Manny Ramirez for example become different hitters when they have good RBI opportunities, especially late in games.

clapp gets it. and correct me if i'm wrong, but hasn't dunn played on some pretty good offensive teams?

Other than 2005, in which Dunn had 101 RBI and a 141 OPS+, no the Reds had a pretty average offensive team. Plus Dunn was walking over 100 times pretty much every year.

I'm focused on 120 because you said it, and for some reason the fact that Dunn "only" has 100 RBI seasons, not 120, seems to make him not "clutch" enough for many of you. If 120 isn't the magic number he needs to reach, then really, what's the problem? He's had 100 RBI in every full season but two. He's hit 40 HR in every full year but one. He gets on base. He has a career slugging percentage over .500. I"m not sure the fact that he hasn't had 120 RBI's is indicative of anything, other than maybe a few missing opportunities with men on 3rd and less than 2 outs due to K's.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
Is there even a slight chance that an RBI discussion thread could be created for all this?
<!--quoteo(post=2817:date=Dec 9 2008, 10:30 AM:name=sleepyhead)-->QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 9 2008, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Is there even a slight chance that an RBI discussion thread could be created for all this?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Is it REALLY freaking you out that much? If you see the terms "dunn" or "rbi", skip the post.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=2823:date=Dec 9 2008, 10:36 AM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Dec 9 2008, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2817:date=Dec 9 2008, 10:30 AM:name=sleepyhead)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 9 2008, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Is there even a slight chance that an RBI discussion thread could be created for all this?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Is it REALLY freaking you out that much? If you see the terms "dunn" or "rbi", skip the post.

It's annoying when you are at work and look at the peavy thread and there are two new pages and all that happened is non-Peavy talk.

Don't see why it's that big a deal to take a discussion that has absolutely nothing to do with Jake Peavy to a different thread.
<!--quoteo(post=2826:date=Dec 9 2008, 09:39 AM:name=sleepyhead)-->QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 9 2008, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2823:date=Dec 9 2008, 10:36 AM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Dec 9 2008, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2817:date=Dec 9 2008, 10:30 AM:name=sleepyhead)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 9 2008, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Is there even a slight chance that an RBI discussion thread could be created for all this?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's annoying when you are at work and look at the peavy thread and there are two new pages and all that happened is non-Peavy talk.

Don't see why it's that big a deal to take a discussion that has absolutely nothing to do with Jake Peavy to a different thread.

:coachcur:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/12/ja...-ru-1.html

10:36am: Phil Rogers says the key to this potential four-team Peavy trade would be the Phillies or Orioles taking on Marquis and some of his contract. Rogers says "it will be a stunner if the Cubs don’t acquire Peavy."
Yeah quit teasing us, you bitches!
New Dunn - RBI - Clutch'ness thread: here.
I got nothin'.

Andy